E3-1230 compatible with desktop 1155 sockets? (H67 chipset). Upgrading from i3.

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
I was reading around the forums that it's a pretty good value for the price and that it has excellent performance. I'm currently only running an i3-2100T right now and wouldn't mind having the upgrade to kinda complete my system since my CPU is the only thing thats really behind.

I game a lot, but I do pull up the occasional VM for random things, typically coding or web browsing, just kinda mixed PC usage. I used to have an i7 920 and I really enjoyed having the 8 logical procs to just do whatever on, PC never slowed down. Could've stuck with it but I got rid of it in favor of more power efficiency, and now with SB, the E3-1230 is only a 80W TDP chip and its more powerful than the i7 920 too.

So I'm just wondering what you guys think of the E3-1230 and if anyone has run it on a H67 board or similar, or know if it will run in said board (Helios is the system in question, in the sig). If there are any better (ahem, cheaper) alternatives to a 4C 8T chip running at ~3.2 GHz for the 1155 socket, I'm all ears on that one as well.

Thanks guys, all input is appreciated.

Iff I recall correctly there have been quite a few desktop boards that have been able to run xeon chips over the years, not sure if it was because of explicit bios support but I will check ASUS' website for a processor compatibility list. At least I'm sure there wouldnt be any power restrictions since the board is good for 95W TDP CPUs I believe.

EDIT: and I am correct. The support list shows support for all desktop 1155 socket chips. I shall do a little digging. If anyone else has information, *please* post a reply. Thank you.

In the past year at work I ran a Xeon X3210 in three different LGA 775 boards I got used - all went out. Then I ran a Xeon W3520 in two different cheapy used MSI LGA 1366 boards - both went out. Neither was overclocked.

I have no proof or way to verify that using the Xeon made the boards go out, but now I am very hesitant to run a Xeon in any regular desktop board unless support is specifically stated, as I have never had another motherboard go out in a personal or work machine in 10+ years of messing around with hardware.

It may have had to do with the quality of the power components on said boards. Server CPUs are typically known to use more electricity than their desktop counterparts, iirc.

The E3-1230 has a TDP of 80W, which is even lower than the 2600K. One of the compelling reasons to have a E3-1230 is because its about $80 cheaper at the usual retailers than the 2600K, next to the fact that they are both 4C 8T chips. I didn't really plan on overclocking, and taking that into consideration, it would be a drop-in upgrade for my i3.

The E3-1230 also lacks turbo mode, but I think I can live without. I can probably get away with a 5 MHz increase on the BCLK, which will take it from 3.2 GHz to 3.36 GHz, pretty much for free. Can't complain about that.

It may have had to do with the quality of the power components on said boards. Server CPUs are typically known to use more electricity than their desktop counterparts, iirc.

The E3-1230 has a TDP of 80W, which is even lower than the 2600K. One of the compelling reasons to have a E3-1230 is because its about $80 cheaper at the usual retailers than the 2600K, next to the fact that they are both 4C 8T chips. I didn't really plan on overclocking, and taking that into consideration, it would be a drop-in upgrade for my i3.

The E3-1230 also lacks turbo mode, but I think I can live without. I can probably get away with a 5 MHz increase on the BCLK, which will take it from 3.2 GHz to 3.36 GHz, pretty much for free. Can't complain about that.

Sounds great, but E3-1230 has 3.6 GHz turbo - http://ark.intel.com/products/52271

No, that is not true.

I don't think you can buy a run of the mill H67 motherboard for that processor.

The E3 series require ECC memory, no ECC = no boot.

I don't know the relation between the chipset and memory, since the memory controller is on the CPU, but a quick search shows E3 compatible boards have, among other, a C204 chipset, not H67.

I don't think you can buy a run of the mill H67 motherboard for that processor.

The E3 series require ECC memory, no ECC = no boot.

I don't know the relation between the chipset and memory, since the memory controller is on the CPU, but a quick search shows E3 compatible boards have, among other, a C204 chipset, not H67.

That doesnt explain how the E3-1225 was working on the Gigabyte H67 motherboard, so it's definitely not a requirement.

No; it supports ECC but does not require it.

My bad, all official stuff writes ECC as a more/less required par, but I can see even DELL has non ECC memory paired with this CPU.

I can't find any H67 boards with official support for the E3 cpu line, maybe it is caused by the lack of IGP on some of the E3 models :-/

My bad, all official stuff writes ECC as a more/less required par, but I can see even DELL has non ECC memory paired with this CPU.

I can't find any H67 boards with official support for the E3 cpu line, maybe it is caused by the lack of IGP on some of the E3 models :-/

its because there WONT be any H67 board with "official" support for Xeon. H67 is mainstream/consumer, Xeon is business/highend

you can though try to drop it in, and see if the BIOS recognizes it

alternatively check each motherboard CPU compatibility list. if its on there, sure

EG: my Intel DP67DE allows E3-1260L and E3-1220L

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DP67DE

EG: my second ASRock Pro3-M Z68 allows E3-1220 (for all BIOS) end E3-1260 (with BIOS update)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.us.asp?Model=Z68 Pro3-M

it depends on whether your mobo's BIOS recognizes it, and whether you want to try your luck putting a E3-1235 (not on either of the two lists) on the mobo

Well I posted a link to where Jagat Review tested a E3-1225 in a Gigabyte H67 board. I checked the compatibility list and it is not listed. The only outstanding thing to note is that it didn't show up as a E3-1225, according to them it was a problem with CPU-Z. Regardless of what it shows up as, It worked, which is all I really care about.

I may or may not upgrade. So far it looks like the cheapest avenue to greater performance, short of purchasing a new system entirely.

Works great in my th67+ board. CPUz reports it correctly. Core temp reports an i7 2500...

In the past year at work I ran a Xeon X3210 in three different LGA 775 boards I got used - all went out. Then I ran a Xeon W3520 in two different cheapy used MSI LGA 1366 boards - both went out. Neither was overclocked.

I have no proof or way to verify that using the Xeon made the boards go out, but now I am very hesitant to run a Xeon in any regular desktop board unless support is specifically stated, as I have never had another motherboard go out in a personal or work machine in 10+ years of messing around with hardware.

You just had a run of bad luck.

For example, my sig-rig has been running for several years and runs a Xeon in a desktop board.

Once I get the spare cash to buy one I will. From what I've been reading at a couple other forums, there are certain cpu-specific features (usually server specific things like vPro) that won't work without the proper chipset, but the CPU itself should work fine.

The CPU is the last thing in the system that's behind at this point. I suppose I could upgrade the RAM but I don't know how many limbs I'd have to give up to acquire 8GB SO-DIMM modules.

I ran an X3220 Xeon quad in a number of LGA775 (680i, P35/45, X48) without issue... at least without issues related to the chip. 680i boards were evil.

I have a E3-1230 that is running a Z68 AsRock Extreme4 right now. It also ran fine in a H67 Biostar board.

Back