E2160 + Ultra Microfly: Overclocking HSF Possible?

SonicPower

n00b
I was thinking of purchasing a E2160 processor due to its affordable price and overclocking capabilities.

However, I thought the stock Intel E2160 won't do well for overclocking. Are there any suggested low profile HSF out there that can do the job? I don't plan to overclock it fully.

I have X-Qpack which I believe just little shorter than yours but best bet is 7700 or 8xxx(forgot model number) if you don't wanna mod your case. it also depends what kind of mobo you are getting too. Depends on mobo, you might be able to preinstall heatshink and slide tray in or might have to slide tray in first then install heatsink which was my case with one of asus mobo. Now I'm in process of building new PC which will take couple of months due to oh so much time I have but I'm modding my X-Qpack to put TRUE in it. If you want to cut out part of rail for HD(which seems lots of people do anyway), you can also install Enzo heasink(or possibly similar heatsink) too. :D

I have X-Qpack which I believe just little shorter than yours but best bet is 7700 or 8xxx(forgot model number) if you don't wanna mod your case. it also depends what kind of mobo you are getting too. Depends on mobo, you might be able to preinstall heatshink and slide tray in or might have to slide tray in first then install heatsink which was my case with one of asus mobo. Now I'm in process of building new PC which will take couple of months due to oh so much time I have but I'm modding my X-Qpack to put TRUE in it. If you want to cut out part of rail for HD(which seems lots of people do anyway), you can also install Enzo heasink too. :D

I've never used a hacksaw before.

Are there pictures or pointers of where I cut the rail? The case hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know where to cut.

So in the case that I do remove it, what kind of aftermarket coolers do you recommend?

Utlima-90: http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068

Scythe Ninja Mini: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page1.html

What else?

Also, how is overclocking/temperatures for the E2160 in a SFF?

I've never used a hacksaw before.

Are there pictures or pointers of where I cut the rail? The case hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know where to cut.

So in the case that I do remove it, what kind of aftermarket coolers do you recommend?

Utlima-90: http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068

Scythe Ninja Mini: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page1.html

What else?

Also, how is overclocking/temperatures for the E2160 in a SFF?

lol I know I should have made bookmark of all the sites I went to look for idea for my qpack. I'll look for the links and post it once I find it since I'm at work and have free time(usually it's other way around for most people)
As far as heatsink goes, I don't have either one but Ultima90 is better out of two in terms of cooling from what I've seen so far and it should. I think I've seen someone put Ultima90 too.

I'm still looking for aftermarket heatsink but look at this picture

http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stuff005mv3.jpg

I'm talking about rail where that black HD is on. You can actually re-drill hole to mount HD closer to frotn panel and cut from end of HD cage to rear exhaust fan and you have enough room for almost all heatsink out there. I'm doing similar thing to install Ultra120 eXtreme for mine. I'm planing four 120mm fan + PSU fan and graphics card fan. I could put more 120mm fan but I don't see point of doing that as I think 4 is gonna be good for airflow and still keep it quiet(well I hope).

LOL I've jsut found one and guess what, it's in [H] lol
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759688&page=10 look at #183 for TTBT

Hm, I'll have to take a look when my case arrives (HURRY UP TIGER DIRECT) :p.

Thanks for the pictures though I still don't have a clear view where the cut ends. In the pics, the guy covered it up with a PATA cable.

the cut is up to you. First you can check if you can fit heatsink without moving HD and if you can't, move it up to front panel as much as you can. if you want to make it clean, you can also flip HD so that connector side faces front panel and use right angel sata and power connector. Also, I'm not sure if it comes with PSU but do yourself a favor and get something like 620HX or 520HX for quietness and modular which is a must if you ask me. I had OCZ gamextreme 700W and it was mess and I had hell of time hiding cables which 95% of the cable are ones I didn't need anyway and it was one of longer cabled PSU too on top of it.

The picture you are looking for is here.

You could also try water cooling in the Microfly.

Watercooling isn't an option for me since I'll be taking this to college.

Thanks for the pics. That looks like a really really tight fit. Looks like it even overlaps one of the memory RAM slots.

Do you suggest I should get the Ultima or what else?

To reach the maximum possible, you will need something like the Ultima 90 and a ventilation hole in the side cover to feed the Ultima.

Unless you plan to modify to Microfly to improve the poor stock airflow (restrictive plastic behind front panel and/or side ventilation), you will not achieve a maximum overclock.

I don't plan to overclock it fully.

That being said, stick with a simple low profile cooler and see how well you do with it.

Max Orb

Or the stock cooler.

Good luck.

Well, I was planning not to use the stock cooler because I always thought that the temperatures are not suitable for overclocking. However, I have yet to see #s from stock cooling of this thing overclocked.

Anyone have a link/pic of various HSF used and temp readings on the E2160 or similar?

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

If you don't want to mod the case, 8700 and maxorb would be your best bet like the other guy pointed out. Like I said earlier, you might be lucky enough to install those and slide tray in instead of slide tray in first then try to mount it. Other thing lots of people do with this case is they reverse the exhaust fan and use it as intake then use PSU to exhaust hot air. Be aware that this might put stress on your PSU since it's sucking up all hot air. Also it is good idea to put one of those pci slot fan to exhaust air. That's what I did with my old set up. :)

I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in my Microfly...it's really not that big of a deal. What saves you the most space is actually moving the hard drive to the second optical bay. Also, modular PSU is key...

Well, I was planning not to use the stock cooler because I always thought that the temperatures are not suitable for overclocking. However, I have yet to see #s from stock cooling of this thing overclocked.

Anyone have a link/pic of various HSF used and temp readings on the E2160 or similar?

You should research the rest of your build more to get a better idea of what your end-goals are. E2160s and E2180s are not particularly hot running CPU's and if you're going to be FSB limited by your mobo or RAM anyways, it's a moot point looking for the perfect HSF and spending extra on it.

I've built a handful of budget systems from Fry's specials bundled with low end ECS mobo's that are basically free with the combo prices and since I can only get them stable at 233-266 FSB range for a max OC of about 33%, using an aftermarket cooler for a budget system is a waste. If you're content with a moderate overclock, the stock cooler will work fine and save you a bundle. I would personally probably rather use the extra $40 and upgrade to an E4500 and use the stock cooler on those for a moderate overclock with higher multiplier. An E4500 will get to 2.7-3.0ghz range on stock cooler and is easier to OC with stock multiplier at 11, and the extra cache is a nice bonus (it actually makes a pretty big diff going from 1mb to 2mb cache but you get much less difference from 2mb to 4mb).

I just built my brother a rig for christmas. I threw a E2180 in it and checked the idle temps are they were great! I only got idle temps because I didnt have much time, it was sitting at 26C. See what you can do with the stock cooler. They're not half bad.

Back