E.T. Found In New Mexico Landfill

caddys83

2[H]4U
Holy crap they actually found it??? So far they only found hundreds instead of the "millions" reported. I always thought they were buried together in a pit. I guess it was dumped and the land filled just spread it out like most landfills.

I kinda wonder if the cartridge actually still works. But youtube gameplay make me not want to watch it lol

http://kotaku.com/e-t-found-in-new-mexico-landfill-1568100161

Now take the cartridges to Hellforge were they will be destroyed! RUN!

I dunno, they could be super rare collector items now... maybe that was the plan all along

I dunno, they could be super rare collector items now... maybe that was the plan all along

This is all part of Microsofts Atari documentary that is going to premiere at the showcasing of the Xbox One's new exclusive TV content.

WOW that is amazing I was following this story for the past few years...

I wonder if they still work or if they are water damaged...

I thought maybe the labels would be peeled off not in pristine condition like that....

At last closure on something that has been down there about as long as I have been alive and the same rumor that there was so many ET carts some was dumped.

I have the ET cart I used to play and it used to give me crying fits of frustration that I could not save ET and falling in holes. We got that cart for $2 at KB toys in a huge bin full of them and other atari carts on super clearance it still has the clearance price tag on the box. the vast majority of the 60 or so atari carts we have came from that discount bin and other discount bins in the mall. people at the stores said all the ones not sold was going to go back to atari so we got deals.

Last edited:
I still have a working Atari 2600. The old school wood looking one. Complete with E.T. :D

I did hear about this rumor, but I had assumed that they had grinded them up and pulverized them into useless pieces of garbage. Maybe they really did that to a portion of them, but it looks like there were so many to dispose of that they tossed some of them in whole. Those cartridges should work if there isn't too much water damage or corrosion on the contacts.

It would be really funny if they had been buying up the cartridges that were out in the "wild", then found the landfill with the harshest environment, and dumped them in. Just to dig them up again for this story now. :D

the bad news is, unlike wine, the game has not improved with age.:p

You see, this profession is filled to the brim with unrealistic motherfuckers. Motherfuckers who thought their game would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't.

Marsellus Wallace knew this was coming...

I pretty much forsee whoever can get a hold on some of these cartridges trying to sell them as "Owning a piece of Gaming History" for insanely stupid prices... :)
Always someone who tries to do it. lol

I had been following this story for a while too. I'm not surprised they found some, since I don't think the story of them dumping them was ever really a rumor or some sort of urban legend. Didn't people at Atari admit to it?

Anyway, I am surprised a lot of them still have the cardboard boxes fairly intact. I know paper and cardboard takes a LONG time to decompose. Especially when there's not a lot of moisture, but I wasn't expecting that. Anyway, I'll watch the documentary.

These things are going to a Museum from the videos I just watched on Maxium PC.

Just like the arc of the covenant another Speilburg movie

Back