e-IPS is a detuned IPS LCD panel for the same price as TN?

Anyone know technically what it means to be de-tuned vs let's say an H-IPS or the panel used in the HP LP2475w?

I like how Dell is introducing the 2209WA. Hopefully we'll start to see them in 24" size...but in 19x12 aspect. I sure hope we aren't going the 16:9 route in the larger sizes with this E-IPS.

It would help immensely if the page would even load.

It would help even more immensely if the source of the news was something other than an obscure blog page (on some server that's too weak to even load up the blog page).

I'm just not feeling The Credibility right now... Please try again later.

I found this quote. Seems more complete:
"e-IPS is a detuned IPS LCD panel that makes it much less costly to manufacture but as you can see the performance hit is nowhere to be found: response time is a respectable 6ms (GTG), contrast ratio is a very good 1000:1 and the viewing angles are 178/178. Brightness is a tad low at 250 cd/m2 but definitely bright enough for LCD monitor work."

???

LG Display (LPL) 23″ e-IPS LCD Monitor Panel
LG Display 23″ e-IPS LCD Monitor Panel Specifications
Display: 23″ 8-bit e-IPS (In-Plane Switching) TFT LCD
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Pixel Format: 1920 x 1080
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Response Time: 6ms (GTG: Gray-to-Gray)
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Viewing Angles: 178/178
Color Gamut: 72% of CIE1931
Price: Same as TN

http://www.displayblog.com/?tag=e-ips

Goddamn, if that's true then I officially regret buying my L227wtg on the pre-Black Friday egg discount. :\

???

LG Display (LPL) 23″ e-IPS LCD Monitor Panel
LG Display 23″ e-IPS LCD Monitor Panel Specifications
Display: 23″ 8-bit e-IPS (In-Plane Switching) TFT LCD
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Pixel Format: 1920 x 1080

Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Response Time: 6ms (GTG: Gray-to-Gray)
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Viewing Angles: 178/178
Color Gamut: 72% of CIE1931
Price: Same as TN

http://www.displayblog.com/?tag=e-ips

That looks very promising, hopefully it will have an HDMI input along with vga and DVI. I wonder how responsive these will be compared to the low latency TN panels.

Now we need some LED backlit e-ips monitors. I am going to hold off buying anything until I see some.

1920 wide in a 23" is exactly what I am looking for.

The color gamut seems a bit low though, no?

1920 wide in a 23" is exactly what I am looking for.

The color gamut seems a bit low though, no?

That's the standard figure for sRGB. They did say it has a narrower gamut compared to other new IPS panels. Hopefully it closely matches sRGB too.

e-IPS = Economy IPS? Considering all the quality issues LG has with regular IPS panels, I have to wonder what a cheap version suffers at.

Err... Color gamut is standard correct normal, everything just works, color gamut. Bravo I say.

If this LG is not notably flawed I would have bought it instead of my expensive NEC and saved like $1000 bucks. :-(

Hmm..the picture in that article is not that flattering, looks like it has viewing angle issues with the top right corner being way to dark there.

Anyways, I'll chalk it up to bad photography :) It sounds promising, can't wait to see what people say about these on the forums here, should be interesting.

Not sure what an e-IPS is...but an IPS for the same price as a TN? They must have cut corners somewhere... Standard sRGB gamut may be seen as an advantage to many people. I am waiting for Windows 7 to recognize the wide gamut of my 24" HP.

Sounds like it will be the big brother to the 2209WA perhaps?

It has 16-20ms input lag, according to those three tests. Which is not too bad, but not perfect.

Hmm, this is the wrong thread.

For some reason the not-translated link, I posted, has not been updated, at least on my end, so it still appears as he wrote it had no input lag, but I can see the translated version is updated with his input lag graph.

20.6ms, not bad.

That may be like buying a car too wide for the road and waiting for them to build wider roads... :D

Not quite. Especially considering that Windows 7 is coming soon. But you'll get better with the analogies...I'm sure of it. ;)

Not quite. Especially considering that Windows 7 is coming soon. But you'll get better with the analogies...I'm sure of it. ;)

Windows 7 might be coming soon, but there is no evidence they improved color management over what Vista has.

Windows 7 might be coming soon, but there is no evidence they improved color management over what Vista has.

But there is! The Redmond company has taken Windows 7 beyond 8-bit per channel sRGB and to 10-bit per channel sRGB (high precision); 10-bit per channel xRGB (extended range) and 16-bit per channel scRGB (high precision and wide gamut). In Windows 7 this is valid for the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) and the Windows color system (WCS). Of course, Direct 3D also supports rendering values of 10 bit, 10 bit XR and 16 bit per channel.

Just accept the truth: Windows 7 will support wide gamut. Don't worry, your NEC 2490 will still be good enough to project the standard sRGB gamut.

Just accept the truth: Windows 7 will support wide gamut. Don't worry, your NEC 2490 will still be good enough to project the standard sRGB gamut.

Funny.
You've switched the top and the bottom.
This is not the problem of how to make 2490 better (already best) - the problem is how to make WG monitors not as bad as they are.

Funny.
You've switched the top and the bottom.
This is not the problem of how to make 2490 better (already best) - the problem is how to make WG monitors not as bad as they are.

Wide gamut monitors are not as bad as people make them out to be. Sure, most programs don't support it but its usually worth it for the few that do. Especially if you work with photos frequently. Regardless, the 2490 is certainly one of the best monitors, but it does have a steep price tag. That being said, Windows 7 will support wide gamuts thereby making life even a bit easier for those who have wide gamut monitors.

But there is! The Redmond company has taken Windows 7 beyond 8-bit per channel sRGB and to 10-bit per channel sRGB (high precision); 10-bit per channel xRGB (extended range) and 16-bit per channel scRGB (high precision and wide gamut). In Windows 7 this is valid for the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) and the Windows color system (WCS). Of course, Direct 3D also supports rendering values of 10 bit, 10 bit XR and 16 bit per channel.

I'm sorry, you said absolutely nothing remotely related to whether windows 7 will actually translate between different color spaces.

It could support 2048 bit colors and still only do sRGB - as well as it could support super-wide-gamut, but that doesn't mean that it will translate sRGB content so that it fits a wide-gamut display. That has nothing to do with precision (bits).

Thats my interpretation of the pretty much nonexistent information about windows 7 color management. Sure, it could theoretically allow for it (as could Vista...), but it could just as well not do.

23" 1080p e-IPS panel? My dream monitor come true.

If anyone finds out about a monitor using this panel, pleaseeee post it here.

I'm sorry, you said absolutely nothing remotely related to whether windows 7 will actually translate between different color spaces.

It could support 2048 bit colors and still only do sRGB - as well as it could support super-wide-gamut, but that doesn't mean that it will translate sRGB content so that it fits a wide-gamut display. That has nothing to do with precision (bits).

It will support wide gamut content, meaning that wide gamut displays will no longer be oversaturated with regard to certain colors. Regular sRGB content will still result in regular sRGB as it does now on a non-wide-gamut 72% NTSC monitor. It does not have to convert wide gamut to standard sRGB, but simply have the ability to display both (on a wide gamut monitor) as is currently seen with color managed applications such as Photoshop.

Can somebody make screenshots to confirm? Or test it with W7 beta and a WG display? :)

It will support wide gamut content, meaning that wide gamut displays will no longer be oversaturated with regard to certain colors. Regular sRGB content will still result in regular sRGB as it does now on a non-wide-gamut 72% NTSC monitor. It does not have to convert wide gamut to standard sRGB, but simply have the ability to display both (on a wide gamut monitor) as is currently seen with color managed applications such as Photoshop.

Really how do you know this? Work for Microsoft? As previously indicated, none of the publicly available information indications is will do proper remapping of legacy applications to display properly on wider gamut monitors.

How will the OS know which apps are old and can't read profiles and need conversion and which are reading profiles and must NOT be converted, because if you convert everything, you make photoshop and all proper applications useless.

Why is this discussion even happening here? This monitor is not wide gamut, so it is likely a complete non issue.

This looks like a great new monitor (the subject of this thread) for those want great performance with little hassle. I wish this had been around before I bought my 2490, it looks to have everything I needed and now becomes a no fuss choice for those wanting inexpensive standard gamut IPS.

Snowdog, I was also getting kind of tired of seeing PC_User's posts about Windows7 in pretty much every wide gamut thread, but before blasting him I decided to try to look it up. Starting with that previous link on the prophotowiki (since it's a wiki, anyone can edit it and there was no footnote on source) I tried to google something up to verify it. Unfortunately, there isn't too much information other than the standard Microsoft dribble about high color everywhere.

HOWEVER-
I did manage to find one poster on POTN who claims that it works. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it does seem promising. That said, I don't have a wide gamut screen to test with, although I do have the Windows7 Beta. I would love for someone who does have a wide-gamut screen to get the Win7 beta and try it out for us, along with a full battery of tests to confirm.

Source: Photography-on-the.net
Relevant bit:
When I do photo editing I use my laptop connected to an external monitor, the wide gamut 24" HP LP2475w. Previously to Windows 7 colors looked over saturated in Windows when using applications that were non color managed. Especially the reds and greens. This a known issue with wide gamut monitors and there was not much one could do about it other that using color managed software(Adobe Photoshop, Bridge etc)

The good news is that Windows 7 is finally color managed and supports wide gamut monitors. I tested it today: connected the laptop to my HP LP 2475w, calibrated the monitor using my Huey Pro calibrator and FINALLY GOT GOOD-LOOKING REDS AND GREENS IN WINDOWS!!!

That said, I do agree this discussion shouldn't be here though, and rather in the Windows7 wide gamut thread.

So my post isn't entirely off topic, I find it hard to believe this new e-IPS thing has virtually no trade-off's vs regular S/H-IPS. There has to be something wrong with it, in order to cut costs so dramatically.

Snowdog, I was also getting kind of tired of seeing PC_User's posts about Windows7 in pretty much every wide gamut thread, but before blasting him I decided to try to look it up. Starting with that previous link on the prophotowiki (since it's a wiki, anyone can edit it and there was no footnote on source) I tried to google something up to verify it. Unfortunately, there isn't too much information other than the standard Microsoft dribble about high color everywhere.

You can blast me all you want but I have 2 sources that I refer to. The first is a close friend who works at Microsoft as a software engineer (working on Windows 7 as well). The second is my own experience with Windows 7 beta (on my wide gamut LP2475W) which actually displays correct colors with much more accuracy (relative to Vista and XP).

The second is my own experience with Windows 7 beta (on my wide gamut LP2475W) which actually displays correct colors with much more accuracy (relative to Vista and XP).

Well why didn't you just say so? :p I wouldn't have had to go digging through Microsoft's useless "white papers" (marketing blurb is more like it)

Ok, I'll check it out and post in an appropriate thread. I have the 7 beta sitting on my HD, and a Vista installation that's just dying to be wiped and replaced.

Back