E 8400 owners

I just picked up an E8400 from a local Microcenter (it's still $189)
Installed it and o/ced to 4005mhz right away (9x445) on P5E. First strange thing I noticed was that the idle temperature is quite higher than others reported. Mine hovers around 45C:eek:, and the max load temperature running OCCP for 2 hours was 67C.
I tried lowering the voltage and 1.31V (actual) is the lowest to sustain 4005mhz without errors on OCCP, and it still reached upto 67C. I also reseated the HSF couple of times which didn't change anything. What else can I try? Can this be a reason for an exchange?

I can't imagine a store exchanging a CPU for running hot at well above the stock setting...

I forgot to mention that the cpu idles abvoe 40C at default setting.;)

Ehh, mine idles at 50C. I'm convinced it is an error - no way is it idling at 50+C with a Ultra-120 at stock voltage/speed. I'm going to wait and see if a new BIOS or something comes out to fix the issue. Or maybe I just got a lemon that has bad contact between the cores and the IHS or something. Either way, I lapped it, so I'm stuck with it.

The CPU not reporting correct temperatures even at stock, would validate a replacement.

Problem is, how do you show that it is not correct? If the store wanted to be jerks about it, I can see them denying that reason.

I just picked up an E8400 from a local Microcenter (it's still $189)
Installed it and o/ced to 4005mhz right away (9x445) on P5E. First strange thing I noticed was that the idle temperature is quite higher than others reported. Mine hovers around 45C:eek:, and the max load temperature running OCCP for 2 hours was 67C.
I tried lowering the voltage and 1.31V (actual) is the lowest to sustain 4005mhz without errors on OCCP, and it still reached upto 67C. I also reseated the HSF couple of times which didn't change anything. What else can I try? Can this be a reason for an exchange?

Thats similar to what I'm getting at 3.9Ghz with 1.3875v (in BIOS) and 1.28v in windows. I could probably hit 4Ghz if I gave it more volts, but I want to stay on the safe side until there's some more long term testing with this chip. Wolfdales/45nm chips might have something similar to the SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome) . As there have been a few reports of losing stability at high clocks after extreme voltage.

45-46C idle
65-66C Orthos 100% load

ya Chris, that's exactly where I am at, same OC and temps as you. I just hope it stays stable there, and doesn't "degrade over time".

The CPU not reporting correct temperatures even at stock, would validate a replacement.

May wanna read Intel's Limited Warranty statement. Along with any "Errata", which I believe includes Intel stating they dont guarantee temperature readings; which is complete BS.

I'm planning to overhaul my old athlon xp computer. Will DDR3 and e8400 give me any noticeable better overclocks (4ghz + )?

I'm planning to overhaul my old athlon xp computer. Will DDR3 and e8400 give me any noticeable better overclocks (4ghz + )?

No, DDR-2 is just as effective, it will need to run at a minimum of 900MHz to get 4GHz. (edit:assuming you are using an X38 or X48 motherboard)
We dont yet know the true safe voltage limit for these chips so to get the best performance you will need to cool it as much as possible as well as raise the voltage within sensible levels.

I'm sticking with 4GHz at 1.35V until its clear we arent causing any damage.
Its bloody quick at this speed anyway, easily enough to max my 8800GT.
In case it helps, I benchmarked Crysis, 3DM05 and 3DM06 using a single stick of ram in single channel mode vs 2 sticks in dual channel mode.
the results were identical.
No doubt this is partially due to the 8800GT already screaming at its max so there may be benefit from DDR3 when a faster graphics card comes out or if you do lots of memory intensive work not involving 3D.

Can someone explain to me about VID?

1) How does VID correspond to OC--is the higher the better or the other way around?

2) Is there a way to check VID on the retail box?

3) What's the best way to look for best OCers in the 8400? batch number? week number? or VID?

Can someone explain to me about VID?

1) How does VID correspond to OC--is the higher the better or the other way around?

2) Is there a way to check VID on the retail box?

3) What's the best way to look for best OCers in the 8400? batch number? week number? or VID?

1) it does guranatee overclocking better, but it require less vcore to run default speed if it is lowest.

2) No

3) Results may vary, some people having different result even if same batch.

I'm on a gigabyte p35-ds3l bios 8.a, and I'm running at 3.6. It's reporting that my load temp is 56c when my heat sink (scythe ninja) isn't even warm to the touch. One core is 31/51 idle/load and the other is 38/56 (22c ambient).

I don't really feel comfortable going any higher without having an idea what the temps actually are. I'm sure that I could hit 4ghz but I'm not sure that it's worth the risk.

Would inaccurate temperature readings be a good enough reason for an exchange at microcenter?

I'm on a gigabyte p35-ds3l bios 8.a, and I'm running at 3.6. It's reporting that my load temp is 56c when my heat sink (scythe ninja) isn't even warm to the touch. One core is 31/51 idle/load and the other is 38/56 (22c ambient).

I don't really feel comfortable going any higher without having an idea what the temps actually are. I'm sure that I could hit 4ghz but I'm not sure that it's worth the risk.

Would inaccurate temperature readings be a good enough reason for an exchange at microcenter?

I have read 2 reports supposedly from Intel saying the max temps you should get to are 61C and 72C (or was it 62C and 71C?).
Regardless you are way below them both so you can push a little more if you dont take VCore too far.

This does assume that you can trust the temperature readings which is where I would be wary for now.
It seems that all or most non X38/X48 motherboards make a royal mess of reading the temps from the 45nM CPUs.

CoreTemp and CPUID HW Monitor are both showing: 57/61
Speedfan 4.34 beta 38 is showing: 53/57

so which is it?
I'd be much more comfortable with Speedfan's temps, my goal is to overclock the E8400 to a place where it's load temps won't exceed 55c, and if Speedfan's temps are correct I can live with 57c ;)

p.s. my Vcore is set @ 1.2725v

From what I came across on my travels, Intel recommend only using the software that came with your motherboard to monitor temps and they dont guarantee the temperatures anyway!
It seems that X38 and X48 boards do read the sensors sensibly.

There may have been BIOS updates for P35 etc boards to remedy the situation.
I havent yet seen anyone claiming there is a fix yet so it doesnt look likely.

My 8400 caused disconnect issues with online games , I reinstalled my 6850 and problems went away. needless to say I did RMA the 8400 my idle temps with no OC was 47c and load over 73c, this was the first intel cpu that I ever had to RMA and I have been buying them for years im 58 years old so there have been a few :D

Wow, you guys really volt the hell out of your CPUs!

Unfortunately my freezone TEC won't be back until Monday, so until then I have to rely on a stock HSF. Even with that, though, I can run 500*8 at 1.25v, 44 idle, 65 at load. Considering the "errata" being reported, I'm going to try to keep my core volts as low as possible.

My 8400 caused disconnect issues with online games , I reinstalled my 6850 and problems went away. needless to say I did RMA the 8400 my idle temps with no OC was 47c and load over 73c, this was the first intel cpu that I ever had to RMA and I have been buying them for years im 58 years old so there have been a few :D

Have you tried to go back on the default clocks to see if it still does that?
Seems to me it's instability issue related to overclocking and not a degradation issue.

I am going to take a chance and buy a 8400. Where is everybody buying your chips at . I usually buy from New Egg but not this time. The price of a 8400 was $229.00. I look at it this morning and it was up to $239.00,went to lunch came back now it $244.99. New Egg can kiss my ASS! Hopefuly I can find it somewhere else.

I am going to take a chance and buy a 8400. Where is everybody buying your chips at . I usually buy from New Egg but not this time. The price of a 8400 was $229.00. I look at it this morning and it was up to $239.00,went to lunch came back now it $244.99. New Egg can kiss my ASS! Hopefuly I can find it somewhere else.

Microcenter had good prices for a while there. Not sure about now though.

Asus Maximus Formula X38
E8400 @ 9x445 (1.375V bios ~ 1.3 load)
(4005) ~25-30 idle ~48-53 Load (Tuniq Tower / Antec Solo with 1x120 Tri-Cool)

Crucial Ballistix 6400 @ 1:1 (890 / 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v)

Asus Maximus Formula X38
E8400 @ 9x445 (1.375V bios ~ 1.3 load)
(4005) ~25-30 idle ~48-53 Load (Tuniq Tower / Antec Solo with 1x120 Tri-Cool)

Crucial Ballistix 6400 @ 1:1 (890 / 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v)

I have everywhere one core 42 an the other 45, so i don't get heat info... i haven't overclocked yet. Strange no heat info.

I am running a

P5KE -wifi
8400 Wolfdale
2 x 1 gig of G.Skill 6400 HZ and so should you!!
Foxconn 8800GTX
PC&P 750watt psu
This machine is Air-Cooled pumping colder air in from outside with a 4 inch squirrel cage fan and dryer hose blowing it on on lower portion of cpu cooler (Scythe) and Northbridge.
piguy.jpg

I just love this little Wolf.......

WZ

The closest Microcenter to me is 50 miles away. I have to drive thur Philly to get to it. ClubIt has it for 215.80 with free shipping. Anybody brought anything from ClubIt before and how did it go.

The closest Microcenter to me is 50 miles away. I have to drive thur Philly to get to it. ClubIt has it for 215.80 with free shipping. Anybody brought anything from ClubIt before and how did it go.

I've bought a few things from ClubIt, no problems here.

I buy from whoever is cheapest of:
Newegg
Mwave
ClubIT
Zipzoomfly

Newegg does usually ship the fastest. But thats probably just b/c they're in CA, so when I place an order in the afternoon they have an extra 2 hours to process that order before the end of the day.

Picked up my E8400 for $189($206 including Tax) at the Microcenter located @ Westbury, New York. They seem to have a lot of them in so if you live around that area go pick one up for yourself! Cheers.

Argh.. this low availability is leading to big time price gouging - I wonder when we'll see wide availability.

Picked up my E8400 for $189($206 including Tax) at the Microcenter located @ Westbury, New York. They seem to have a lot of them in so if you live around that area go pick one up for yourself! Cheers.
I live in the southren part of New Jersey, to far to drive. Thank anyway.
Anybody else ever deal with ClubIT.

You can stop asking about ClubIT. The rock: on par with the 'Egg. Only down side is that they don't lower shipping when you buy more than one item in an order (e.g. if a mobo ships for $7 and your vid card for $8, you pay $15, whereas with the 'Egg, they'll prob. lower it to $12 or something)

ClubiIT is good. Like some one else said there shipping is not quite as fast as newegg, but they are a solid on line retailer. I bought my DS3 from clubit last year cause they guaranteed rev 3.3 back when no one else would. I would buy from them again.

Some more info on the degrading of overclocks:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2762925&postcount=1246

The main indicators seem to be higher FSB (over 550) and Vcore higher than 1.4V although there are exceptions.
Those are the only emerging patterns so far.

This could of course all be a load of rubbish as the number of failures reported is not that high and other problems could contribute,
ie
As a new chip there may be a design flaw that affects a few chips badly
Motherboard and/or voltage problems
Noise on PSU adding to thermal envelope
Unnoticed human error
Noticed but not reported human error ;)
etc...

Like:
When I first powered up my chip, I immediately set the voltage to manual and went to the very first setting which is 2.35V.
It didnt dawn on me that it was over 2V, I saw it as 1.35V.
Subsequently it didnt boot and the motherboard complained heavily!
Luckily it appears there was no damage (the motherboard prevented any) but mistakes are easy to make so be careful with these chips.
Dont work on your overclock when tired (my excuse ;)).
If I had a motherboard that wasnt as quick to act, my chip could have died.

Hi WeldZilla, what voltage did you use to get to 4.7ghz. I just put in my e8400 yesterday doing 4.0ghz at 1.3 volts on my evga 680i AR w/ bios 32 (this is orthos stable). I went to 4.2ghz at a tad over 1.4volts and about 30 min orthos stables. I was able to get to 4.5ghz at 500fsb at 1.48volts but only orthos for 10 min bc I am not too sure about the temps being recorded correctly so I want to stay under 1.4 volts for now. I am using a tuniq air cooler. I havent tried anything over 4.5ghz but wanted to know what volts you were using. My packaging date for my cpu is 1/11/08.

Back