Dynamic IP how do I change it?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm sure this has been talked about and a very easy question. My cable provider uses Dynamic IP addressing. I've seen my ISP issued IP change before a couple times in the past few months but it doesn't happen all the time. I need a different IP than the one I have now how can I get the ISP to automatically issue me a new one? I tried the DHCP release and renew in the router but that didn't do it. I read something about deleting or resetting the lease configuration somewhere. What can I do? Help please, thanks. And no I'm not interested in proxy.

1) Search button. This very question was asked yesterday
2) As mentioned, power cycle the modem may help
3) Or you could stop getting yourself IP banned from places, which would be the most effective :p

It depends on how your cable company registeres you. A lot just look for the mac address on the cable modem. For ones like this I have found that if you change the mac address on the router it will cause the cable company to give you a new ip. Mind you if they use the mac off the device plugged into the cable modem it will not work.

Asked and locked yesterday wasn't it?

OP - Why did you need a new IP again, I missed that part.

Figure it wasn't anything here or he wouldn't be asking the question as he wouldn't be able to post it if his IP was banned. While most of the reasons one would ask for this are bad, I can think of some legit ones. I've seen routing issues in the past with comcast be fixed by having the ip changed as the system would route the person another way. Could also be that someone is hammering his ip address for whatever reason. IE I've had people try to dos attack my ip after I blocked them from my private ftp site after they tried to hack in.

Asked and locked yesterday wasn't it?
Nope, and in fact when t his question was asked, it was still on the front page.

I'm sorry, but there are very few legitimate reasons to want a new IP; Enough so that when the question is asked it makes one suspicous.

No need to get FBI on him. It's a legitamate question, he could have asked his ISP and gotten an answer. Even if it was for illegal purposes like some of you accuse him of, his IP will always remain traceable to his ISP in case an admin wants to contact the abuse dept.

By the way fella, here's a thread that asks the same question you did:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141311

No need to get FBI on him. It's a legitamate question, he could have asked his ISP and gotten an answer. Even if it was for illegal purposes like some of you accuse him of, his IP will always remain traceable to his ISP in case an admin wants to contact the abuse dept.

No one is accusing him of anything. Like Xor said, there are very few reasons why anyone would need to change their IP address so it is not unreasonable to ask why he needs to do so.

Understand there are many of us who admin networks who frown upon helping out anyone who is trying to get around security restrictions or blocks. If the reason is not valid, then it could fall under the rules of circumventing restrictions if he were IP banned from somewhere else.

No one is accusing him of anything. Like Xor said, there are very few reasons why anyone would need to change their IP address so it is not unreasonable to ask why he needs to do so.

Understand there are many of us who admin networks who frown upon helping out anyone who is trying to get around security restrictions or blocks. If the reason is not valid, then it could fall under the rules of circumventing restrictions if he were IP banned from somewhere else.

Changing Ip addresses is not violating an ISP's TOS. What he does with the service could be the violation. Heck when I had cable and speeds were slow basic troubleshooting would be to power off the modem for about 30 minutes then try again with a new IP, my ISP gave me this information too.

Changing Ip addresses is not violating an ISP's TOS. What he does with the service could be the violation. Heck when I had cable and speeds were slow basic troubleshooting would be to power off the modem for about 30 minutes then try again with a new IP, my ISP gave me this information too.
You will note, that bit of information was given ( specifically because that's about the only legit thing he could do short of calling his ISP ).

Given the OP's lack of any responses, my money is on he was banned from somewhere.

Did you try calling your ISP and requesting a new IP address. I've had to do this before, but I was the unlucky victim of someone else's bad behavior :p.

Usually if you unplug your modem and then swtich NICs you will get a diffrent IP address when you plug your modem back in. Thats because your new NICs mac address isnt stored in their DHCPs leases.

Discussing how to get around any network restrictions or blocks is against the rules here on these forums. Anyone who is asking how to change their IP address is most likely trying to circumvent an IP ban from somewhere.

I'm here, I was gone all day then came home last night caught this thread and wanted to try it before I replied. I got it to work thanks guys! It's like one of you guys said though the ISP must have the mac address on file so it only works with each different computer or lan card that I access the cable modem directly with. Maybe if I just leave the router unplugged for a few days that IP will get sent to someone else. Or maybe not. It's normal to assume; I'm not banned on any sites or anything don't cause any trouble just ever since I got back from vacation a couple weeks ago and noticed this new ip I've been getting pings of death like crazy and my emails are bouncing and all kinds of junk and my connection feels congested. When I got the different IP to work last night everything was 100% better. I'm back on the old one again now because I need the router so I'll have to figure something out to get around that. I could just buy a new router D-link seems to be junk anyway lol! Maybe some other time for that though i'd rather spend the money on computer parts. Cool thanks a lot guys. This is the best computer forum.

Just as an outside opinion, I have Cox Cable interwebz, and I would do anything to not have to call them. When you call Cox, you get stuck with an automated "tech" trying to pretroubleshoot and the thing starts to loop after 5 minutes, asking you the same questions over and over.

Just as an outside opinion, I have Cox Cable interwebz, and I would do anything to not have to call them. When you call Cox, you get stuck with an automated "tech" trying to pretroubleshoot and the thing starts to loop after 5 minutes, asking you the same questions over and over.

I think we've all been there, takes a hour just to speak with a damn live body anymore

to the OP -- Glad we could help, ISP tech support has all been outsourced now anyway and by the time you get a live person (and hope they speak english) you might fix the problem yourself.

to the OP -- Glad we could help, ISP tech support has all been outsourced now anyway and by the time you get a live person (and hope they speak english) you might fix the problem yourself.
It's definitely a motivator. :)

Back