Dying "Monitor" :(

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Sad days are afoot, my 46" Sammy that I use as a monitor is randomly shutting off. I'm looking to spend 300-400 on a new monitor but I'm not sure which features I should be looking into more. I like the idea of getting a 4k monitor, but I can't afford a 40" 4k (at least not that ive seen). It also seems like I really shouldn't get another tv or large screen display period due to the amount of lag they introduce. I've been debating the ASUS PB287Q, a 32" 4k 1ms...though that's slightly above the top end of my budget. There's also the ASUS MX299Q 21:9 2k-ish 29" monitor....but I've heard that some games have issues with that aspect ratio. There's another I was looking at the other day but I can't seem to find it....was a 32" ASUS...though I don't think it was a 4k...wish I could find it.

I'm not married to ASUS, but I really like their monitors as well as Samsung...any suggestions out there?

Check the capacitors on your TV's PSU. If one or several is bulging, you can replace them for under 5$ and have a perfectly working tv again.

Check the capacitors on your TV's PSU. If one or several is bulging, you can replace them for under 5$ and have a perfectly working tv again.
It's a 46" 1080 middle of the line tv from 2009, it's probably past its half life. It's time for it to find a new home.

It's a 46" 1080 middle of the line tv from 2009, it's probably past its half life. It's time for it to find a new home.

No, really, Henri108 speaks the truth.
Symptoms such as taking sweet time to finally fire up the screen after it's been off and random shutdowns (without screen corruption) are usually just electrolytic capacitors failing on the power supply PCB.
You will be able to identify the power PCB because the power cord leads to it :p
I assure you - TVs and monitors are very easy to disassemble and re-assemble, even the huge ones.
And the capacitor replacement is braindead easy because of the sparse layout of power PCBs.
I am clumsy but I recently fixed a 42" unit inside an hour.

Edit: I have like 5 or 6 screens, all of them bought for peanuts as "damaged", all repaired inside 30 minutes with spare random parts.

No, really, Henri108 speaks the truth.
Symptoms such as taking sweet time to finally fire up the screen after it's been off and random shutdowns (without screen corruption) are usually just electrolytic capacitors failing on the power supply PCB.
You will be able to identify the power PCB because the power cord leads to it :p
I assure you - TVs and monitors are very easy to disassemble and re-assemble, even the huge ones.
And the capacitor replacement is braindead easy because of the sparse layout of power PCBs.
I am clumsy but I recently fixed a 42" unit inside an hour.

Edit: I have like 5 or 6 screens, all of them bought for peanuts as "damaged", all repaired inside 30 minutes with spare random parts.
I never disputed that it could be an easy fix and you completely ignored my reasoning that you quoted. The failure has spurred me into looking for an upgrade, I'm not interested in fixing it...I'll just craigslist the thing to get a few bucks and enjoy a new, better picture. I was hoping for suggestions on a NEW purchase.

I never disputed that it could be an easy fix and you completely ignored my reasoning that you quoted. The failure has spurred me into looking for an upgrade, I'm not interested in fixing it...I'll just craigslist the thing to get a few bucks and enjoy a new, better picture. I was hoping for suggestions on a NEW purchase.

Sorry about that then. I immediately thought you could have two screens.
I normally wait for deals, so sadly I can't recommend anything recent with a broader feature set.

Sorry about that then. I immediately thought you could have two screens.
I normally wait for deals, so sadly I can't recommend anything recent with a broader feature set.
Two screens WOULD be nice, but the way the room is laid out, there's no space for an additional screen with one being a 46". Ive got like...65" of width to play with.

Since you mentioned desiring a 4k monitor in the upper 20" range, I'd recommend the LG UD68 series. They are 27", 4k, IPS (true IPS, not AHVA), with FreeSync. They come in silver or black, and retail is $499, but they are both routinely on sale for $399. They are insanely high quality panels for the price with no reported panel lottery thus far. While the pixels at this screen size are so small as to have some question whether 4k is even beneficial, the side-benefit to that is that the pixels are so small that scaling issues for 1080p/1440p aren't really noticeable in gaming. Depending on the game in question, I'll run it at either 1080p, 1440p, or 4k. No complaints.

Well, one complaint. I've had many budget monitors in my day, but the stand on this monitor is easily the worse that I have ever had. Merely typing on my mechanical keyboard is causing the monitor to act like a bobblehead. Be prepared to buy a VESA monitor mount/arm at some point. That's my plan, anyway.

I pulled the trigger on an ASUS PB287Q, 28" 4k@60Hz. I imagine it would be a pretty substantial upgrade for people coming from smaller screens but I find it lacking in terms of size. I've only spent about an hour with it uncalibrated, I just calibrated it based off website recommendations and I'll see how it goes. I may end up taking it back and grabbing a 40-43" TV. I'll be sacrificing response time in doing so but I'm not sure at this point that it would matter as much TO ME as it does to others. I've got 30 days on the return policy so we'll see how it goes.

Back