Dying Light - zombies, 4-player co-op

The PC version looks pretty great as-is. Considering when it came out, it looks better than a lot of current titles do. It runs far better, too. With the various lighting and shadow effects, it might be cool to see ray tracing added, though. The game itself is probably always going to be love/hate, though. It's pretty repetitious and the constant weapon repair/upgrade grind isn't for everyone. Seems that's not going anywhere for part 2, either.

The PC version looks pretty great as-is. Considering when it came out, it looks better than a lot of current titles do. It runs far better, too. With the various lighting and shadow effects, it might be cool to see ray tracing added, though. The game itself is probably always going to be love/hate, though. It's pretty repetitious and the constant weapon repair/upgrade grind isn't for everyone. Seems that's not going anywhere for part 2, either.
There are 2 types of people: Those who recognize Dying Light as one of the best zombie games ever made, and those who are wrong.

The final boss was the only part I can recall where the game really fell apart - the rest was awesome.
The story was bad. I don't even remember it. Except the villain was a Wish.com version of Vaas.
I also disliked The Following. Replacing parkour with the offroad vehicle didn't do the game any favors.

Next-gen patch coming, don't know if that means anything for PC.
Keep an eye on it.

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1448716116235329537
The game at least has FPS Boost on the Series X|S. The game is pretty miserable on consoles at 30 FPS. I can't imagine anything can be done to improve how the game looks and runs on PC. The latest CPU and GPU have no issue turning the draw distance all the way up now. Only thing that could make the game better is RTGI, in my opinion. It would really bring the day and night to a whole new level.
The story was bad. I don't even remember it. Except the villain was a Wish.com version of Vaas.
I also disliked The Following. Replacing parkour with the offroad vehicle didn't do the game any favors.
I liked the story a lot. Experiencing the PC grow to deeply care about the people trapped to wanting to personally kill Suleiman was quite the emotional rollercoaster. It was very fitting for a zombie game like this. If it didn't have the story it wouldn't be sitting in my list of best games of all time.

The final patch and content update was released today. In addition, all owners who have not upgraded to the Enhanced Edition will now get it for free.

https://nitter.domain.glass/DyingLightGame/status/1522199589280964609
1651766508266.png

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/239140/view/3182366778716117091
1.49 Patch Notes said:
Hellraid

[Level]
  • [Lobby] The Story Mode (Blue) portal is now closer to the center of the Lobby (opposite of Raid Mode (Red) portal)
  • ✨ [Armory] The entirely reworked Armory now includes all Hellraid Weapons and Items
  • ✨ [Armory] Added Inspect Weapon on item showcases, which displays the weapon’s story of origin
  • ✨ [Tower] New environmental hazards can be found on all floors of the Tower (Spikes, Explosive Barrels)
  • [Tower] Added visual indication that Shrine requires sacrifice to unlock (killing all enemies in the area)
✨[Parameter Reworking / Balancing / Difficulty Tweaks]
  • Damage factor multipliers for Hellraid enemies reworked for all difficulties
  • [Easy] Enemy Damage factor multiplier decreased by ~15-20%
  • [Normal] Player Damage factor multiplier increased by ~30%
  • [Normal] Enemy Damage factor multiplier decreased by ~30%
  • [Hard] Player Damage factor multiplier removed
  • [Hard] Enemy Damage factor multiplier decreased by ~50%
  • [Nightmare] Player Damage factor multiplier removed
  • [Nightmare] Enemy Damage factor multiplier decreased by ~50%
  • Reduced number of Recruits spawned in Combat Arenas on the first and second floors of the Tower
  • Tweaked dynamic spawning of stronger enemies in Hellraid Ranks 5-10
[Economy]
  • ✨Reduced prices of Hellraid weapons in the Hellraid shop by 50%
  • Added Weapon Remnants at 7.5% cost of the original weapon’s price
[Weapons, Rewards, Items]
  1. [Hellraid Shop in Slums Tower]
  2. ✨ Hellraid Shop will now include Wands (Fire Wand, Dark Wand) and Shock Bearer (Shield) for purchase
  3. ✨ Hellraid Shop will now include Weapon Remnants (Craft Item) required to craft Hellraid Weapons
  4. ✨ Hellraid Shop will now include Deathbringer Blueprint for purchase [if player completes Loaded for the Undead (Bounty) (available at Hellraid Rank 10)]
  5. [Blueprints]
  6. ✨Thirteen (13) new unlockable blueprints available through Trials (Bounties Table) in Hellraid
  7. [Consumables]
  8. ✨Five (5) new consumable items (Tower Crystals) available on Raid Mode Tower with various buffs
  9. Red Crystal — Buff: Double Damage; Debuff: Low Stamina Regen
  10. Blue Crystal — Buff: Fast Movement; Debuff: Half Damage
  11. Green Crystal — Buff: High Health Regen; Debuff: Low Stamina Regen
  12. Yellow Crystal — Buff: 100% Crit, Stamina Usage Reduction; Debuff: -15% Movement
  13. White Crystal — Buff: Double Damage; Damage Reduction, Stamina Usage Reduction; Debuff: 0% Health Regen
  14. New Consumable Item Animations for Crystals
  15. New Icons for Crystal Items and Crystal Buffs
[Tutorial Screens]
  • New Tutorial Screen for Story Mode
  • New Tutorial Screen for Raid Mode
  • New Tutorial Screen on first interaction with Shrines
  • New Tutorial Screen for Crystals
  • Updated Tutorial Screens for the Armory
[Bugfixing & Miscellaneous]
  • Fixed multiple Z-fightning issues on the map
  • Fixed objects clipping issues, lightning artefacts, floating objects etc.
  • Fixed Lord Asmorod’s audio and animation cutting off too soon
  • Fixed rare blockers in Story and Raid Mode
  • Fixed instances where players could parkour around blocked areas in the Mysterious Portals quest
  • Fixed minor issues with the minimap
  • Fixed cases where some enemies were missing in Raid Mode
  • Players now need to pick up Bow Arrows from the ground (no longer having the ability to perform an automatic pick up)
  • Other minor bug fixes for Single Player and Co-Op
Support for DL, Live Events / DLC

[New Event Content]
  • ✨New ULTIMATE EPIC WEAPON from Tolga and Fatin
  • ✨New Easter Egg Weapon with unique weapon type
  • New weapon meshes and sounds
  • New Graffiti
[New DLC Content]
  • ✨New type of weapon: Chainsaw
  • ✨New feature: Perk for Buggy with 50% slower fuel loss
  • New weapon meshes, animations and sounds
  • New outfit
[DLC Maps]
  • [General] Quest will now deselect after leaving Bozak Horde / Hellraid (players will not respawn in these modes after relaunch)
  • ✨ [Bozak Horde] Implemented Inventory Management system
  • ✨Now all weapons stored in the Stash when players enter the Bozak Horde will be returned to Player Inventory
[Quests]
  • ✨[The Pit] Rebalanced fight with Demolisher in the Pit
  • [The Pit] Improved stats for the Machete found in the Pit
[Bugfixing & Miscellaneous]
  • [Menu] Removed “What’s New” Section
  • ✨[Balancing] Reduced Snowstorm's Ammo craft requirements
  • Added new dockets
  • Minor bug fixes for Single Player and Co-Op

EDIT: Actionsack was removed from the Nitter instances. Updating link.

Last edited:
The support that Dying Light has received is pretty damned admirable. It's been 7 years and they're still patching it and adding new content. People are still playing it, too. If you haven't fired it up in a while, try running it with current hardware. It looks about as good as anything currently being released and you can pull a crazy number of FPS with the details and view distances cranked. The repair system is enough to make anyone with OCD go bonkers (use guns, trust me) but it's otherwise a fantastic game.

I already have The Following bundle version of the game...it doesn't seem like the Definitive Edition offers anything of value outside of cosmetic items

Last edited:
I already have The Following bundle version of the game so it doesn't seem like the Definitive Edition offers anything of value outside of cosmetic items
They're more than cosmetic items. Each pack contains blueprints for weapons that could be considered OP (I try to avoid using them in the early game). Some of the skins also provide passive benefits. The Winter Warrior outfit in the Snow Ops bundle, for example, gives you a 20% bonus to all earned XP (including Legend). The skins for the buggy in The Following provide similar benefits.

Techland announced that all Platinum owners would receive a free upgrade to Definitive.
I just bought an old Platinum key for $6 and it redeemed as Definitive, so it still works. If I visit the Definitive page, Steam says I don't own it (I can still buy it for $15) however I own all the bundles in the package.

For anyone it may help.

dyinglight_owned.png

Last edited:
Despite my love for this game, I played The Following for the first time over the weekend. Have to say that I loved the change in scenery from a claustrophobic city to an open country. Near the end I was getting annoyed that every quest seemed to alternate between opposite ends of the map, though. The story was fantastic. The choice at the end also really highlighted the conflict in Crane's mind by that point, though I think the "right" choice goes more to his character than the "left" one does.

Also, The Bozak Horde still pisses me off. I never finished and wanted to see if I could get through it this time. That was a big "nope." It's not any better playing it with other random people. This was even at Legend level 100, so I could just punch everything.

Despite my love for this game, I played The Following for the first time over the weekend. Have to say that I loved the change in scenery from a claustrophobic city to an open country. Near the end I was getting annoyed that every quest seemed to alternate between opposite ends of the map, though. The story was fantastic. The choice at the end also really highlighted the conflict in Crane's mind by that point, though I think the "right" choice goes more to his character than the "left" one does.

Also, The Bozak Horde still pisses me off. I never finished and wanted to see if I could get through it this time. That was a big "nope." It's not any better playing it with other random people. This was even at Legend level 100, so I could just punch everything.
There's also Hellraid and the Prison DLC. And some post-game quest involving Spike helping people escape the city.

There's also Hellraid and the Prison DLC. And some post-game quest involving Spike helping people escape the city.

I've played through everything else there is/was to do in the game. The Following was the only thing I hadn't touched until this past weekend. Hellraid was fantastic. I only wish that Techland had fleshed out the full game.

I've played through everything else there is/was to do in the game. The Following was the only thing I hadn't touched until this past weekend. Hellraid was fantastic. I only wish that Techland had fleshed out the full game.
Just to keep things interesting, on my current playthrough I'm using a mod that turns all the basic zombies into Virals.

Just to keep things interesting, on my current playthrough I'm using a mod that turns all the basic zombies into Virals.
There was an event a few years ago where Techland did this officially. I honestly found it quite annoying. It was one of the only events that I opted out of.

One of the updates they pushed out last year or the year prior increased Biter density, respawn rate, and Viral appearance rate. Jumping back into my Nightmare playthrough I would regularly have up to 8 Virals on me at once. One of the intersections with a police van took me literally half an hour to clear out all of the respawning Virals so I could pick the van's lock. And they can spawn without any loud noises or random explosions happening. Prior to that update I would only have 4 Virals on me, at most.

this game has been in my backlog for years and I've wanted to play it for a long time...I finally got around to it and finished it yesterday (along with the Following expansion)...101 hours...I kept putting this off thinking it was mainly a co-op game (I hate co-op) but I played through the entire game solo without any issues...it's an incredible game and my all-time favorite zombie game...it's also a challenging game

the first few hours were a bit of a grind as your character starts off really weak but as you level up the game gets much better...the story was the weak point but everything else around it was excellent...the gameplay never got old and the parkour was so much fun...the day/night feature was excellent (nighttime was way more dangerous but you also get better rewards), nice mixture of zombie types, weapon degradation etc...I played at 1440p upscaled with DSR to 3840 x 2160 and the game looked great for the most part...it doesn't compare to a 2023 game in terms of graphics but it still looks pretty impressive

I finished all the main missions and side quests in both the base game and expansion...The Following was surprisingly good...they made some major changes by swapping out the city for a rural countryside setting and it worked...the buggy was a nice touch as well even though I ended up not using it all that much...they also added some Elite zombies called Freaks of Nature which were really hard to kill...I thought the ending to the base game was weak but the ending to the expansion was great...both endings leave the story and the main character in a really bad place...now I can finally start Dying Light 2!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 0
I loved that nighttime really is pitch black...they did a great job with the day/night cycle both in terms of graphics and gameplay...the various weapons and skills were really fun as well...

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 0
The game looks really good with modern hardware. Better than a lot of newer games with steeper requirements and lousy performance. I never loved the weapon repair system, but I eventually made due once I switched over to using guns almost exclusively.

The game looks really good with modern hardware. Better than a lot of newer games with steeper requirements and lousy performance. I never loved the weapon repair system, but I eventually made due once I switched over to using guns almost exclusively.

the weapon degradation was annoying in the beginning but I learned to appreciate it...there are so many weapons available that it never really bothered me if one of my main weapons broke (you can also repair broken weapons through special missions)...the guns were great but I only used them for human enemies as ammo was always in short supply...plus beating zombies with melee weapons infused with fire or shock was always more fun for me

I'm surprised at how challenging the game was...I thought going out at night would be easy but those Volatiles were really tough and they gang up on you the longer a chase goes on for...I hear in DL2 they nerfed the nighttime aspects a bit as apparently most players didn't go out at night in the first game according to the developer stats

I'm surprised at how challenging the game was...I thought going out at night would be easy but those Volatiles were really tough and they gang up on you the longer a chase goes on for...I hear in DL2 they nerfed the nighttime aspects a bit as apparently most players didn't go out at night in the first game according to the developer stats
Well that's disappointing. I liked the crazy DL1 nighttime.

WIMPS - this is why we can't have nice things

Well that's disappointing. I liked the crazy DL1 nighttime.

WIMPS - this is why we can't have nice things

I haven't played Dying Light 2 yet but I hear they changed things up a bit and made it more like The Following expansion's Volatile Nests...the nests were pretty cool as well so maybe it's not as bad as I hear

I still need to play Dying Light 2. I should have my new build up and running in the next 2 weeks, so I might break it in with that one. I remember being weirded out that there was no HDR support, but it seems like more and more games are forgoing true HDR support in favor of the (less than ideal) MS auto-HDR solution.

I still need to play Dying Light 2. I should have my new build up and running in the next 2 weeks, so I might break it in with that one. I remember being weirded out that there was no HDR support, but it seems like more and more games are forgoing true HDR support in favor of the (less than ideal) MS auto-HDR solution.

you currently have a 4090 so I don't think DL2 will run poorly on it ;)

you currently have a 4090 so I don't think DL2 will run poorly on it ;)

Right this second I'm actually running on a spare GPU :p I tossed the 4090 into a new build that is otherwise complete, but has no CPU. I'm hoping to be able to score an 7xxx3D CPU next week to finish this thing off.

No auto HDR on Windows 10, but it still looks good in SDR.

Techland deserves a lot of credit for nailing the gameplay and combat...there are so many cool skills...I loved the drop kick and foot stomp where you stomped on zombie heads for an insta-kill...the way to deal with multiple virals was to get on top of a car or some sort of higher ground, wait for them to climb up and foot stomp them...I also loved the camouflage skill where you cover yourself in zombie guts to walk among the undead...was almost a cheat as you can literally kill hordes of zombies

the one skill everyone seemed to love but I didn't really care for was the grappling hook- I preferred parkour...I also didn't like the buggy all that much...it was cool running over zombies but I liked melee better...I'm going to start Dying Light 2 now and I hear that it's a much bigger game...I spent 101 hours playing DL1 so I'm guessing close to 200 hours with DL2

Techland deserves a lot of credit for nailing the gameplay and combat...there are so many cool skills...I loved the drop kick and foot stomp where you stomped on zombie heads for an insta-kill...the way to deal with multiple virals was to get on top of a car or some sort of higher ground, wait for them to climb up and foot stomp them...I also loved the camouflage skill where you cover yourself in zombie guts to walk among the undead...was almost a cheat as you can literally kill hordes of zombies

the one skill everyone seemed to love but I didn't really care for was the grappling hook- I preferred parkour...I also didn't like the buggy all that much...it was cool running over zombies but I liked melee better...I'm going to start Dying Light 2 now and I hear that it's a much bigger game...I spent 101 hours playing DL1 so I'm guessing close to 200 hours with DL2
I preferred to not use the grappling hook, too, unless it was necessary to do so. It was more of a panic button to escape infected and volatiles if I started to get overwhelmed.

Back