Dying Light - zombies, 4-player co-op

If I didn't like the Dead Island games is there anything here for me?

The Parkour aspect is a lot of fun. You don't have to just dumbly run from zombies and hope your stamina doesn't run out. In this you just kind of fly around the city like a roided out orangutan . You rarely have to hit the street if you don't want to. Other than that its straight up Dead Island with a slightly less unlikeable main character.

Last edited:
After playing this for 10-11 hours. I love it. Doesn't feel like a port.. Performs really well. And Coop is a blast. Recommend it solo and REALLY Recommend it if you want to coop.

Having the exact same experience with a buddy. Lots of fun. I never really played Dead Island so perhaps I'm not jaded by that experience like some others seem to be.

Some of the kill shots and sounds are brutal...

Me: "Hello zombie. Goodbye head."

As far as I can tell, you can't take out legs with your own weapons, only with environmental damage like explosions. I could be wrong, I'm still in the noobie area and only level 6.

Yea, legs come off when you use the blade weapons, and they will crawl.

Does it control Mirrors Edge-like?

Not in the fullbody acess kind of way. All the work is mostly done for you just point at where you want to be hit jump or hold jump itll pick up on what you want. That said I'm only like 30 minutes into it theres all kinds of movement unlocks like slide so maybe it does get more complicated.

NG+ mode confirmed, once you beat the campaign you can select your game from the main menu and start over on a harder difficulty, keeping all of your current progress.

Are the guns any good in this? I know in Dead Island the guns were atrocious unless you used the Community Mod Pack. The only issue with that was it added a bit too much guns/ammo :p

Are the guns any good in this? I know in Dead Island the guns were atrocious unless you used the Community Mod Pack. The only issue with that was it added a bit too much guns/ammo :p
The guns feel nice but are almost useless. You can only carry a small amount of ammo, and shooting attracts the speedy zombies to your spot.

I think the guns were designed as a last resort.

Definitely want to pick this up at some point, but I think I'll wait for more patches and/or a sale. Seems like some odd performance problems.

Bummer about guns being similar to DI...they were really a weak point of that game.

Someone said this was nearly identical to farcry4 so perhaps that's an alternative?

Yea, legs come off when you use the blade weapons, and they will crawl.

Hallelujah!

The guns feel nice but are almost useless. You can only carry a small amount of ammo, and shooting attracts the speedy zombies to your spot.

I think the guns were designed as a last resort.

Squirrel is spot on. Guns are awesome inside closed off buildings though, like quarantine zones. There was one spot with dozens behind a door with a window and I shot them all without opening the door. It's also fun at night if you run into some of Rais' men, get them to shoot at you while you sneak away and they draw attention.

Definitely want to pick this up at some point, but I think I'll wait for more patches and/or a sale. Seems like some odd performance problems.

Bummer about guns being similar to DI...they were really a weak point of that game.

On the flip side, there are a ton of zombie shooting games, not so many zombie melee games.

I don't think guns with tons of ammo would work well in this game. I think it would makes things a bit too easy.

PC patch in the works.

Hi guys,

We've been gettign a MASSIVE amount of feedback from you all - good work everyone.

We've listened to the good (thanks!) and the bad (thank you as well - we need to hear those things). So, with your feedback, we will be issuing a Patch.

Here's what we will be fixing:

CPU Optimization

Save game issues

and more.

We will keep you updated on the progress.

I don't know what the fuck I am doing. this game seems to be too hard, especially when stuck with shitty weapons that fall apart after a few hits. then you have the tank dudes with the hammers, can't kill them without multiple propane tanks. You lose points for dying, lots of running back. your weapons remain broken, lots of jumps turn into falls, stamina is for shit. ya, am annoyed.

I don't know what the fuck I am doing. this game seems to be too hard, especially when stuck with shitty weapons that fall apart after a few hits. then you have the tank dudes with the hammers, can't kill them without multiple propane tanks.
The basic zombies you can just ignore. Run right past them if you want. Give them a few kicks and go about your business. Kill them if you want to farm XP.
The hammer bro's go down with 1 shot if you hit them with some gas and a molotov.

We need more hard games in the world. I'm tired of this "Everybody wins" mentality that's taken over the industry to appease the filthy console casuals.

I've stopped playing for now until the CPU optimization is fixed, the other crap I mentioned is really killing it for me, especially the motion blur

It'll never get fixed, I can't name a single game that had optimization problems -- specifically CPU -- that ever got fixed. The only reason a game like GTA 4 plays better today is because our hardware is so much better.
So come back in 5ish years if you want higher fps.

In PC gaming today it's simply "release and forget". They're already working on Dying Light 2 by now and counting their cash. The patch is a placebo, if it ever actually gets released.

I agree totally however this games cpu issue is much worse then most, core 1 being pegged like that isn't that common, I bet they fix that real quick but I have no faith on the other issues I don't like

I don't know what the fuck I am doing. this game seems to be too hard, especially when stuck with shitty weapons that fall apart after a few hits. then you have the tank dudes with the hammers, can't kill them without multiple propane tanks. You lose points for dying, lots of running back. your weapons remain broken, lots of jumps turn into falls, stamina is for shit. ya, am annoyed.

If you need better weapons, be sure to search around for the locked crates. Are you circle strafing the hammer guys? Do you have the dodge skill yet? I found them to be pretty easy to dodge since they are so slow. Have you tried the electrical weapon mod? It can stun shock zombies.

It isn't an easy game, I'll give you that. I'm stuck on the stealth part of the Siblings quest, can't seem to find the one zombie I need but I've only checked two of the spots on the map so far. Night is so short.

My weapons are garbage, don't have molitovs, now I find I they have limited repairs before needing to be tossed. you do appear to have infinite kick stamina so you can crowd control in a door, just the damage is miniscule and you can't go outside in the crowd to follow up on the knockdowns. lol.

My weapons are garbage, don't have molitovs, now I find I they have limited repairs before needing to be tossed. you do appear to have infinite kick stamina so you can crowd control in a door, just the damage is miniscule and you can't go outside in the crowd to follow up on the knockdowns. lol.

Definitely time to do some non combat related activities.

Won't spoil it, but anyone who thought the damage effects on zombies from weapons isn't that inspiring, should wait until unlocking more powerful weapons (level 12 or so) before making final judgement.

Like the other guy said, run past large groups, and avoid the hammer guys. Only fight loners and small groups, or if you're forced into it at first. Then just follow the way points. Not much to it really. Buy fire crackers, to draw large groups away from quest goals too.

In only a few hours I have enough mats to craft like 400+ Molotovs and pretty much everything else. The game gives you an abundance of crafting mats if you just remember to loot stuff.

There's a small hospital directly west of the Tower that's absolutely FULL of stuff, I've looted it a dozen times now. If you stand outside and use Survival Instinct it will light up like a christmas tree.

EWP3z7S.png

The Parkour aspect is a lot of fun. You don't have to just dumbly run from zombies and hope your stamina doesn't run out. In this you just kind of fly around the city like a roided out orangutan . You rarely have to hit the street if you don't want to

sounds kinda weird that you can avoid most of the zombies like that...I would think in a game where zombies are the focus that the developers would want players to engage with them more

Are you not looting in the environment? I have only played about 4-5 hours already and have a fucking full stash of shit. Many upgrade and modfied weapons, etc. Are you just going from way-point to way-point?

sounds kinda weird that you can avoid most of the zombies like that...I would think in a game where zombies are the focus that the developers would want players to engage with them more

I think they have a good balance, you do have to engage them often. For instance, and this is another thing I like, when the game sends you to find something, it will usually high light a general area in which to find it. Instead of taking you straight to it, and while looking all over said area, you'll end up fighting a bunch of the walkers, or you have to protect someone who does not do the roof top running thing. Some missions are specifically to clear an area, etc. It also encourages you to fight them because they have loot you need, and a lot of areas also can not be traversed by roof top. But if you could not avoid them at all, you'd have to kill 100 every time you went on an errand.

Last edited:
The basic zombies you can just ignore. Run right past them if you want. Give them a few kicks and go about your business. Kill them if you want to farm XP.
The hammer bro's go down with 1 shot if you hit them with some gas and a molotov.

We need more hard games in the world. I'm tired of this "Everybody wins" mentality that's taken over the industry to appease the filthy console casuals.

How have you been doing during night-time? hahahahah

Sounds to me like you haven't played the game past the pro-logue and are declaring those zombies as easy. It's meant as the tutorial. If you had played past the first hour of the game you would know about 4-5 different zombie types that would have you running upstairs out of your basement crying to mama

Last edited:
I played like 1,000 hours of L4D2 I can handle Boomers, Spitters, and Hunters.
Ignoring the fact that I'm carrying 30 medpacs right now without even crafting any.

If this is your first zombie game since you got bored of, idk, Super Mario Galaxy on your new WiiU then maybe it's hard. Otherwise it's one of the easier zombie games out there.

If the crafting mat requirements for all items/upgrades were maybe doubled or tripled, that would be a good start. Then we'd move on to increasing zombie density, double or triple that (both regular and special zombies). Increase their damage, increase their movement speed, increase their detection range. Now we're cooking.

Night is great, but not challenging. Your minimap shows you the location of every special zombie, and the direction they're looking! Of course let's get rid of that feature, too. Is Crane psychic or something? How does he know where the zombies are? Implement all of that and we have a good zombie game on our hands.

Ignoring the fact that I'm carrying 30 medpacs right now without even crafting any.

If this is your first zombie game since you got bored of, idk, Super Mario Galaxy on your new WiiU then maybe it's hard.
Otherwise it's one of the easier zombie games out there.

If the crafting mat requirements for all items/upgrades were maybe doubled or tripled, that would be a good start. Then we'd move on to increasing zombie density, double or triple that (both regular and special zombies). Increase their damage, increase their movement speed, increase their detection range. Now we're cooking.

Have you got out at nighttime? Gets harder then.

If this is your first zombie game since you got bored of, idk, Super Mario Galaxy on your new WiiU then maybe it's hard. Otherwise it's one of the easier zombie games out there.

Night is great, but not challenging. Your minimap shows you the location of every special zombie, and the direction they're looking! Of course let's get rid of that feature, too. Is Crane psychic or something? How does he know where the zombies are? Implement all of that and we have a good zombie game on our hands.

Seeing that you have played a lot more than just the prologue and still find the game very easy I think you're just too good for games in general.

After the prologue I have played Dying light for an additional 2 hours and probably have died 5-6 times and have had to replay some sections I found very challenging. It hasn't been frustrating at all, dying has been very scary and fun also.

I have also crafted 10-20 medkits and am all out currently because I eat them like candy. I'm hoping I can start amassing some quantities using the mobile app and maybe I have to vist that hospital you posted above. Thanks for that, I see you have 99 metal parts too lol

Last edited:
Back