DX38BT - DDR3 - Reboot Problem w/8GB RAM?

Tony Rotten

Weaksauce
Has anybody tried to install more than 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 (OCZ in my case) in this motherboard (DX38BT) without the system rebooting at random? (I have a custom built PC by one of the better known builders...)

With only 4GB of the above RAM, the system is rock solid. If I increase it to 8GB, it reboots periodically. With 6GB (single channel) it seems that it does not reboot as much but hangs upon manual rebooting with a dark screen.

I heard that I may have to adjust timings and/or voltages to solve the problem? Isn't everything supposed to be adjusted automatically if the "Automatic" setting is selected in the BIOS?

Thanks,

Tony

Thank you HT...

Yes, the first thing I checked is that I have the 1554 BIOS. I did notice the one BIOS after that, 1782 as you say but since it didn't mention the 8GB issue, I have not installed it. That's because Intel itself says not to update the BIOS unless it addresses an issue that you have... Maybe I should install it anyway?

How about increasing the RAM voltage to 1.8 instead of the current 1.5?

OCZ rates this RAM at 1.8v anyway, guaranteeing it up to 1.9...? (I wonder why the "Auto" stetting chooses 1.5?)

Thanks

HT: How do I do

"UEFI was it! This was enabled and after disabling it, USB is working during POST. I can now press F2 and go into the BIOS without cracking the case and using the config jumper."

...since I may try the new BIOS but do not want to hang my KB! :)

(I still can't post to the other site; my acct has to be enabled...)

HT: How do I do

"UEFI was it! This was enabled and after disabling it, USB is working during POST. I can now press F2 and go into the BIOS without cracking the case and using the config jumper."

...since I may try the new BIOS but do not want to hang my KB! :)

(I still can't post to the other site; my acct has to be enabled...)

Previously, before I figured out having UEFI enabled was causing my USB keyboard, I simply had to turn off the power, crack the case and set a configuration jumber (next to the USB headers) and the system would go into BIOS settings after a POST. So if you experience the keyboard hang during POST, you have a work arround, it's just more tedious.

However, you will not have this issue if you have UEFI disabled.

While it's not in the release notes, I and several others notice many other improvements in the 1782 BIOS. I recommend the upgrade.

Never mind, I took the chance with success :) That is, I updated the BIOS.

Now on to see if that allows the system to work steady with 8GB!

I may be speaking too soon but this is the longest (5 minutes?) the new PC has lasted without rebooting after installing 8GB of OCZ Platinum Edition PC3-10666 DDR3 1333MHz CL (7-7-7-20) 1.8V, up from 4GB.

I did not change the voltage; it's still 1.5...

If it runs overnight w/o rebooting, we can add this bug to the ones fixed with BIOS 1782... :)

You wonder where Intel's head is at?

They produce a motherboard (DX38BT) that is supposed to handle 8GB of DDR3 RAM but it doesn't on Day One?

And then they have to wait until JUL 2008 to figure that one out, and publish a new BIOS that's supposed to do what the very first one was supposed to do?

Is the competition of Intel that poor now?

Jeez!

Well, my new PC went all night without spontaneously rebooting which is a record by far with the full max of 8GB installed.

The BIOS update did it, for which I am grateful for the members of this forum and xtremesystems.org too.

Now I can go on with "my life"... :)

I will maintain temporarily my dual boot of XP Pro 32-bit and Vista 64-bit Ultimate for now but eventually XP 32-bit will have to disappear.

(I used XP Pro to flash the BIOS, BTW... )

And of course, we can add the "8GB problem" to the list of issues addressed on BIOS 1782 for this motherboard.

I guess Intel thought "No one will ever use 8GB with this board so let's not test it. Besides, who can afford 8GB of expensive DDR3 memory anyway? Certainly not us!!" :)

Hi Tony, did you finally solved your problem? I have been having the same problem since I decided to upgrade my system memory from 2gb (two modules of 1gb each) to 4gb (four modules of 1gb each). I am using kingston ddr3 1333mhz value ram.
Same weeks ago I upgraded the BIOS to the 1814 version, but it didn't solved the problem.
I am usin Windows XP SP3 and Debian Lenny, and in both the system suddenly reboots, leaving no messages in system's log files.
Do you or anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks.

DATHOS:

Actually the BIOS just before 1814 solved the issue. I installed 1814 because it had a lot of issues resolved (some of which I didn't even understand. :) It's being rock solid since.

Thank you Tony and HighTest for you suggestions. As I said before, I already updated de BIOS to the 1814 version but it didn't solved the problem. Someone suggested me to remove the motherboard batery, and after inserted again, to update the BIOS.
Anyway, I want to share with you the answer Intel sent me to troubleshoot my problem:

To troubleshoot this issue with your RAM, please try contacting the manufacturer of the system memory, so that you can check that the memory configuration in the BIOS is correct. In later Intel(R) desktop boards you can enter the BIOS setup program by repeatedly pressing the <F2> key during the boot process.

Also, you can test your system outside of the chassis. Please place your motherboard on a table, on a non-conductive material, and try booting it with only basic hardware attached. This is to ensure there are no grounding issues with the system case.

Take into account that when I post my question, i told them that the memory modules I am using is 4 modules of the Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/2G, and that these modules appear in Intel website as compatible memory. Look at the following link : http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx38bt/sb/CS-028330.htm

Thanks again. I wil be in contact again once I solve the problem.

Hi guys!! I finally solved this problem. After talking with Kingston support service, the suggested me to increase the voltage from 1.54 volts (default for this memory) to 1.62 volts. This voltage is a little bit beyond memory specifications that suggests 1.5 volts +- 7 volts. Since I did that, the computer didn’t reboot again.
Thanks.

Back