DX12 DXR + ....."Whatever!" @ R9 380 4GB

illusio13

n00b
So, my previous card; the Gigabyte "windforce" model ( 1st time-truth marketing! in life........ ) is languishing in seocnd pc doing NOTHING.............:-(

Wondered what ALL those resouces put to say accelerating...............; DXR for example, would produce?

Projection 1 = 0.53FPS ..... LOL

Seriously though, why can i not use ala mGPU to do this AMD............; really F****&^%D off that cannot REPURPOSE my old ( still fully functional!! ) hardware to......; new, useful, FPS adding senarios.........?

Maybe the compute GuysnGals already get this benefit..., ala mGPU, dont know? Thay can always use MORE!

Any way..., projections please, or not as the case may be:)

You can heat your home at winter with R9 380 and make some shit coins in the process. Isn't that enuf?

Technically DX12 lets you combine any GPU across any vendor to act as one solitary, more powerful GPU.

It's not AMD's fault, it's the game developers' fault for not utilizing (or even supporting) it. :\

Technically DX12 lets you combine any GPU across any vendor to act as one solitary, more powerful GPU.

It's not AMD's fault, it's the game developers' fault for not utilizing (or even supporting) it. :\

AMD could.........., help utilise this function to use old but capable hardware; if we as enthusiast and hobbyists choose to do so!

Edit : spelling.

All I have to say on this subject is that my R9 290 in my kid's PC running at 1080p has had, and for the foreseeable future, will continue to have remarkable longevity. It hurts a lot less paying ~$500 for a video card when you get 6+ years of good service out of it...

How? They already did what they could with Crossfire, as did nVidia, but both ultimately have failed due to the lack of developer support in games :(

Yes, i agree; not sure if practical to focus on mgpu aside from contributing to game FPS / physics / DXR etc...etc. Just dissapointed that i do not need 2 pc's and would like to utilise my R9 380 in current pc ( accept the heat/power cost ) in some useful way!

I, and no doubt everyone else on [H], agree with your fundamental wish: be able to utilize old GPUs in your computer to offload any number of specific gaming tasks onto in order to increase FPS.

Which I, too, indeed feel DX12's DXR would be a great candidate for.
Similarly, with PhysX being open-sourced, it'd also be nice to see it opened up to AMD cards, either by AMD directly (unlikely, as they've had a CUDA-wrapper for a long time and opted not to make it public*), or just through an aspiring coder's free time. Maybe the "Gameworks" games wouldn't run so poorly on AMD cards then... (I have a feeling that at their core, the Gameworks libraries are reliant on the PhysX SDK, but that's just my personal speculation)

* I know I had come across a couple articles once during my googling or OpenCL relating to this; however, as it always seems to be, I am unable to track down any of them to provide as a source :\

Thanks for reply dude :)

PhysX....; looked good on demo's...Hahaha, tanked any game that used it LOL. Bit like DXR ( well, Nvidia's implimentation of it, just a sub-set as i understand ).

Its a waste...........; AMD, its a wasted opportunity ! God, how many times have i said that to myself when thinking of AMD......:-(

Only 2 programs that can use dx12 multigpu....ashes of singularity or 3dmark timespy.....enjoy the hell out of it

Because i want..........; of course i could use proper English, but then; the education system here was NEVER for me, so how would i know!

Must be because i was born in 70 mixed-race...........; you know the anti-christ...... English-Jamaican..... etc etc.

Stop it with that equivelance shit dude :-(

All I have to say on this subject is that my R9 290 in my kid's PC running at 1080p has had, and for the foreseeable future, will continue to have remarkable longevity. It hurts a lot less paying ~$500 for a video card when you get 6+ years of good service out of it...
Yep , running Anthem HDR on my R9 290X sapphire tri x in 1080p combined with a freesync monitor totally awesome :)

Blaming crossfire not working on the dev’s is crazy. It’s like the niche of a niche of a niche. It’s AMD’s fault for not supporting / convincing devs / integrating into engines. The problem is there’s likely no ROI for either AMD or the devs.

Nevermind mGPU has always been a shit show.

I also think AMD has better things to do right now than working on ray tracing.

Crossfire and SLI can only function on DX11, DX12 doesnt support it.
To get DX12 mGPU it must be supported by the game.

SLI/Crossfire was up to the graphics card vendor and DX11. mGPU is DX12 and left to the producer of the video game.

Only 2 programs that can use dx12 multigpu....ashes of singularity or 3dmark timespy.....enjoy the hell out of it
There are more games than that. The recent Tomb Raider games do support mGPU on DX12, as does Sniper Elite and Deus Ex. But yeah, still only a handful.

There are more games than that. The recent Tomb Raider games do support mGPU on DX12, as does Sniper Elite and Deus Ex. But yeah, still only a handful.
well when i say multi gpu i meant the way ashes can do it with totally different hardware like a 1080 and radeon 7 both working together but the ONLY game im aware that actually works is Ashes. (because its the only game where the devs put in the dx12 effort to make it work) im not aware these other games can do the same thing.....they might work with same gpus like sli/cf....idk?

If they indeed do then i need to put them on my to buy list since i myself want to encourage this work done in games even if there not exactly one of my favorites.

Last edited:
well when i say multi gpu i meant the way ashes can do it with totally different hardware like a 1080 and radeon 7 both working together but the ONLY game im aware that actually works is Ashes. (because its the only game where the devs put in the dx12 effort to make it work) im not aware these other games can do the same thing.....they might work with same gpus like sli/cf....idk?

If they indeed do then i need to put them on my to buy list since i myself want to encourage this work done in games even if there not exactly one of my favorites.
It should be in the game engine rather then the game. So in theory if any of those oxygen engine based games want to use it it should work.

It should be in the game engine rather then the game. So in theory if any of those oxygen engine based games want to use it it should work.
I can also totally understand its not in any manufacturers interests to spend money of stuff that doesnt help pay the bills.....Im not upset in the least my 280x card sits in a box for backup. Want better performance, then install a better card its pretty simple.:)

I can also totally understand its not in any manufacturers interests to spend money of stuff that doesnt help pay the bills.....Im not upset in the least my 280x card sits in a box for backup. Want better performance, then install a better card its pretty simple.:)
I would put the whole mgpu problem back in the courts or time vs money and in the end game engine support does not cost more development time on the game itself.
And the problem arises that game developers suck, for the simple reason as you stated if you want faster graphics just buy the high end version that does the work of 2 cards. While there is documentation that previous version of Frostbyte does support mgpu it seems that developers just want money from Nvidia or AMD and not do any work regarding this (see Anthem and SLI support).
Gaming has not been at the forefront of pushing in programming where problems as having another card in your system that does y amounts of gigaflops is suddenly useless. Since several developers joined (Khronos group) for initiatives as Vulkan this should be a problem if the past where they have access to the api themselves and can force changes to make this 2nd card work.

I would put the whole mgpu problem back in the courts or time vs money and in the end game engine support does not cost more development time on the game itself.
And the problem arises that game developers suck, for the simple reason as you stated if you want faster graphics just buy the high end version that does the work of 2 cards. While there is documentation that previous version of Frostbyte does support mgpu it seems that developers just want money from Nvidia or AMD and not do any work regarding this (see Anthem and SLI support).
Gaming has not been at the forefront of pushing in programming where problems as having another card in your system that does y amounts of gigaflops is suddenly useless. Since several developers joined (Khronos group) for initiatives as Vulkan this should be a problem if the past where they have access to the api themselves and can force changes to make this 2nd card work.
But the engine support costs money and development time.
Maybe the developers are neither lazy nor incompetent, maybe having mGPU support just doesn't have a reasonable ROI for them.

Right. It's not so much about being lazy rather there isn't a huge ROI there for such a small market.

I also think AMD has better things to do right now than working on ray tracing.
Nvidia worked on RT for years. It isn't something you implement in a hurry just to meet market standards and if AMD did it that way (in a hurry) then it wouldn't run real time ray-tracing but cinema quality ray-tracing... so 24fps XD

AMD need to ditch 7 years old GCN and make new power efficient architecture.

AMD neds to follow Microsoft model: do research of which small company out there have RT technology and most importantly, patents, buy it, fire management (at least most of it) and leave (good) engineers.
Big part of
we need this in line Unreal Engine, Unity and Frostbite, etc. engines and of course only SFR implementations, not the AFR bullshit. Then with some smart resource management it could be possible to even use iGPU to offload some work and speed up games.

But I guess it is jus too much effort when in the end not so many people would use that anyway... but maybe they would if we like "it just works" like it should just cays have been. I dunno.

Right. It's not so much about being lazy rather there isn't a huge ROI there for such a small market.
But the engine support costs money and development time.
Maybe the developers are neither lazy nor incompetent, maybe having mGPU support just doesn't have a reasonable ROI for them.
Well to be honest something as simple as a laptop with dedicated graphics would benefit since the cpu tends to have a gpu.
The problem might be that it is not very marketable idea that the higher ups in the company see it as a fool's errant.
I can remember from the battlefield 4 demo that it was a simple as using another compute source to do certain workloads the idea is that you get something I am not advocating that they need to perfect it just make a start and see how well it is received.

Engine support is the problem ? Once you implement it it is done.

There are practical examples why it is a good idea just that the cost is the problem in every equation and that is just very short term thinking ....

Back