DVI to VGA ~ VGA to DVI

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
Hiya!

Recently I upgraded to an LCD monitor(Samsung SyncMaster 906BW) and I noticed that it has a DVI and a VGA port.

My video card also has VGA and DVI ports as well.

But neither came with a DVI cable.

I do however have 2 DVI/VGA adapters from my current and a previous video card.

So my question is this: Can I use the 2 DVI adapters and the VGA cable my LCD came with to make a (faux) DVI cable, or will there a question of wiring within the adapters that won't allow this???

Thank you.

It wont have the same effect as DVI I don't think but you could always give it a try.

Yeah I could. But the fear there is shorting either/or the vid card and monitor.

It will probably work, but you will be getting analog signal as if you used VGA to begin with.

DVI-I contains both digital and analog signals. The adaptors just pull the analog signal and put it in the VGA connector. The only reason it might not work is if the monitor has a DVI-D port, which is digital only. It won't screw anything up in that case, it just won't show anything (or the adaptor might not even physically fit in). But again, useless.

Just order a DVI cable from Monoprice. They're quite reasonably priced.

I went to monoprice like you said, and there's a pic of the 6 different DVI port types in the DVI cable area.

I'll have to go home after work and see what type the DVI adapters I have are.

I always thought there was just the one.

Thanks!!!

Go to a store and drop the 10 bucks on a DVI cable. Your picture quality will be better and you'll thank yourself later.

Get a DVI-D cable. It will work with DVI-D and DVI-I ports. DVI-I cables won't work with DVI-D ports and are more expensive and the analog section of DVI is rarely used with a DVI cable - almost always exclusively with a DVI->VGA adaptor. http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1020902&p_id=2408&seq=1&format=2&style= (note: 28AWG is just fine for 6', they have 24AWG which is better but you will not notice any difference at all at 6')

Back