DVI-HDCP vs DVI-D

bdavids1

Limp Gawd
If I have a video card which outputs DVI-D, wil that work with a HDTV which has a DVI-HDCP port? I realize that you can't feed a DVI-HDCP source into a non-HDCP system. I haven't found any clear answers on the PC's DVI-D into DVI-HDCP though.

I'm looking to put together a HTPC this summer (MythTV), and also to pick up a HDTV. If DVI-D is only compatible with some HDTVs, I'd like to know before I buy. Thanks for any feedback!

That should work fine, there have been exceptions such as early DVI equipped Toshiba RPTVs however this should all be worked out by now.

My RPTV has a DVI input with HDCP, I have been trying to get my Radeon 9800 AIW to work with it, but I have yet to have any success. I haven't given up yet, someday I'll get it happening.

Check out the AVS Forums and do some research there and see if you can find a similar setup.

Cool. I thought so, but the way the recording/movie industry is screwing consumers over I wasn't positive...

So the HDCP handshake is optional -- only takes place when a source is about to provide copyrighted content? I finally found a copy of the specs... I'll RTFM and see I suppose. Thanks for the info though!

My TV does not work. It's a Sony 50" Grand Wega XBR.

It caused all sorts of problems like the PC refusing to boot up.

It depends on the TV.

That sounds more like a video card problem then a TV problem. Some cards wont boot unless there is a monitor hooked to the vga port, this is noted on AVS though I think there are a few work arounds. I know I have seen other people using HTPCs on Grand Wega XBR's before.

Powerstrip is a must have for any HTPC computer to TV...

I am probably way off on this....but.I was always told that computer DVI was on different timings that if forced into a tv with a DVI port, that it could overload the TV end of the DVI and burn up the tube....using powerstrip you could pipe the picture and adjust it to the "timings" for the format you are using (480P, 720P. 1080i, etc)....is that way wack?

Back