DVI-D or HDMI to Composite Help

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
I need some help with converting a DVI-D or HDMI to Composite Video. I can get the DVI-D into VGA but from there I am stuck on how to do this. My TV, receiver are all old and do not have HDMI or DVI-D inputs. Audio will be done (for now) through optical out on my motherboard. My HTPC specs are:

AMD Athlon II 455
XFX 5770
Gigabyte 870a-UD3 (from previous gaming build)
60GB Vertex II SSD
600W PC&C Silencer III

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You're going to need a converter box, something like this :
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047PDBP0

It will take the HDMI out from your 5770 and output it to the TV via RCA cables. I have no idea what the quality will be like.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Composite is not capable of doing 1080p, only NTSC/PAL (Less than DVD resolution). You will also lose HDCP compatibility and not be able to watch encrypted BR discs (retail discs).

Do you mean component? (3 cables for the video) If so, that bumps up the quality to 1080i/720p but still no 1080p or HDCP.

As of right now I do not have an HDTV (student building a Home Theater System) so I do not have to worry about most issues that have been brought up.

OP did you mean to say your TV has component inputs?

Component = green + blue + red colored RCA inputs.

Whereas

Composite = yellow colored RCA input (+ red & white for audio)

It is composite. I just need to Video though. Sorry for the confusion.
NP but thx.

Then you'll need a converter/transcoder like the one in the amazon link posted earlier.

Passive adapter cables won't work; dvi to vga to composite etc.

You can't output 1080p over component?

Nope, it doesn't have the bandwidth necessary. The only standard formats capable of true 1080p are VGA (the 15 pin dsub), DVI, and HDMI. Component can do 1080 lines of resolution but only interlaced (effectively half the image resolution).

Edit: Here's some extra information for those who are curious - http://www.highdefforum.com/cables-connections/23350-can-component-cables-carry-1080p.html

tl;dr version: Basically, the cables themselves ARE capable of 1080p, but RCA connectors aren't, hence the 1080i limitation.

Last edited:
Nope, it doesn't have the bandwidth necessary. The only standard formats capable of true 1080p are VGA (the 15 pin dsub), DVI, and HDMI. Component can do 1080 lines of resolution but only interlaced (effectively half the image resolution).

Edit: Here's some extra information for those who are curious - http://www.highdefforum.com/cables-connections/23350-can-component-cables-carry-1080p.html

tl;dr version: Basically, the cables themselves ARE capable of 1080p, but RCA connectors aren't, hence the 1080i limitation.

Component only works over RCA connections?

I guess my moot point is rather irrelevant in the digital age lol.

If you can find a cheap VGA card with S-Video out, they have adapters that you're looking for.

Component does support 1080p just most consumer devices do not support 1080p over component, why would you buy an new TV/BR/Set Top Box if you could do it over component. I run 1080p all day long with my Nvidia card over component cables.

if you don't have an HDMI/ DVI/ VGA port on your TV you probably aren't going to enjoy the experience. it would probably be cheaper to buy a new TV than to get a converter box but if all you want to do is watch fuzzy movie on your SD-TV than who am i to argue. Mono price has anything you'll need although youll probably need at least two adapters. If you already have it converted to vga heres a link to a vga to composite adaptor here

If you already have it converted to vga heres a link to a vga to composite adaptor here

Won't work, they are two entirely different analog signals, that adapter is made for very specific hardware that most people do not own (ancient Dell laptop probably). A transcoder/converter is still needed in the OP's case.

Lifted from the Monoprice product description:

IMPORTANT:

THIS ADAPTER WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT CONVERT AN S-VIDEO OR COMPOSITE VIDEO SIGNAL TO VGA. IT WILL NOT WORK BACKWARDS.
YOU CAN NOT USE IT TO DRIVE A VGA COMPUTER MONITOR WITH A CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DEVICE SUCH AS A DVD PLAYER OR VCR.
IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NETBOOKS OR ANY CURRENT GRAPHIC CHIPSET.

Either way this thread is old now and the OP had already decided to purchase the Amazon transcoder nearly two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Back