DVD Ripping guides/sites - any suggestions?

Shafted!

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello!

I just put together a htpc using a AIW 9800, and aside from the video cropping issues that i can't figure out how to fix, i love it. (anyone know why the video is cropped on a 16:9 tv with this video card?)

A problem I have is that I have lots of DVDs, mostly anime. Instead of investing in a dvd player that can store many discs, i opted to build a htpc.

I would like to consolidate much of my anime collection, but I really have no idea where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I've been using DVD Decryptor and AutoGK for ripping all ov my Futurama, Family Guy, and Undergrads DVDs. The 1/3 CD option (233 MB) works pretty well for shows in the 20-25 minute range when using 2.0 AC3. If your disc has a full 5.1 Audio stream then you might want to go for a slightly larger file, something like 260-270 MB.

What codec do you all use when ripping your dvds onto your hard drive. Which guide do you specifically follow. I have tried a few, but with mixed results.

I'm a Fairuse user also, great program and simplifies everything. Check it out.

I use XviD, but if you want something good quality that you don't need to tweak so much, you can try On2's VP6.

thank you for all the replies, the doom9 site is good and helpful. =D

edit: fairuse seems like the program ive been looking for, imma test it out right away.

Back