DVD drive majorly corrupted in Windows; can't figure out how to fix it!

IcarusSC

Gawd
Hey, [H]. I'm attempting to repair a friend's laptop here and I've gotten nowhere after a few hours, so I thought I'd bring it here for advice.

Friend has an Dell Inspiron 5050 with a Matshita DVD+-RW UJ8C1 drive in it running Win7 x64 SP1. A couple of weeks ago (after she upgraded to iTunes 11 -- no idea if there's a connection) it stopped working.

Symptoms:
- drive doesn't appear in My Computer or Management
- in Device Manager, drive appears, but says that it cannot start because it's incorrectly configured in the Windows Registry (code 19)
- drive appears in BIOS just fine and works -- I can run a Linux Live CD with no problem

Attempted Fixes:
- attempts to update the driver are unsuccessful (no newer driver available from Windows; no Matshita site exists that I can find, Dell support doesn't offer a DVD driver on its site). Removing and refreshing the drive has no effect.
- updated firmware and chipset drivers, just in case, but had no effect.
- Googling the problem always brings me around to a registry edit solution (here), but that doesn't work on Win7 (as seen here).

I'm travelling and don't have my gear with me, so I haven't been able to back it up. Because of that, a full reinstall isn't really an option right now. Anyone have any ideas? I really appreciate your help with this!

Copy this to notepad, and save as a .reg file. Run said file, import and restart. Problem should be solved.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

Or for the easy way out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Wow, thank you so much for your really fast reply!

OK, so I admit freely that I'm not experienced with registry editing. I tried copying, saving, and running. It gave me an 'invalid key' message and quit out on me. I ran regedit and tried importing. Same message ('invalid key').

I clicked on your link, but when I ran the tool there, it told me that it couldn't detect a problem. What am I doing wrong?

The forum software put a space in his regkeys. They should all be one continous string with no spaces. (for future reference, put those kinds of things in code tags and that should keep the spaces from jumping in where they shouldn't be.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

Last edited:
Guys, I really feel stupid here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it keeps telling me it's invalid. I'm copy-pasting into notepad, saving it as fix.reg, running regedit, choosing 'import,' selecting that file, telling it 'OK' when it says 'Computer' will be overwritten, and it says "Cannot import fix3.reg. The key selected is invalid.' I've checked the copy-paste job twice!

Sorry, I didn't notice another mistake in his post. The first line of any reg file has to be
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Add that line to the top of your fix.reg file and try it again.

Guys, I really feel stupid here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it keeps telling me it's invalid. I'm copy-pasting into notepad, saving it as fix.reg, running regedit, choosing 'import,' selecting that file, telling it 'OK' when it says 'Computer' will be overwritten, and it says "Cannot import fix3.reg. The key selected is invalid.' I've checked the copy-paste job twice!

DISCLAIMER
Bear with me and please ignore if you already checked this or know how to do it already...

Does the icon for the file look similar to:
images

If not, you may still be saving it as a text file instead of a reg file...

(Assuming you're using Notepad)
When you go to save the file you pasted the code into, make sure when you get the save dialog and enter fix.reg as the name, you select (from the dropdown below the filename) ALL FILES

That ensures it's saved as fix.reg instead of fix.reg.txt, which would not import properly

Yeah, it's actually saving it as a reg file. I'm not insulted -- I obviously need help here :-D

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It totally worked and solved the problem! I had read about the upper/lower thing on the Microsoft site, but several people (including the rep) were saying it was for Vista only. Huh. Just goes to show, eh?

Again, THANK YOU ALL!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It totally worked and solved the problem! I had read about the upper/lower thing on the Microsoft site, but several people (including the rep) were saying it was for Vista only. Huh. Just goes to show, eh?

Again, THANK YOU ALL!

It's been a problem since Win98 (or maybe even Win95).

Yeah, that sounded kind of snarky. I'm sorry; I didn't intend it that way. It's probably just not showing up for me because I'm in China. Thanks again for your help!

Back