dvd/cdrom wont boot

Julius

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Im having some problems with my dvdrom drive. I'm trying to restore my computer because I have the BSOD. But my computer won't boot from the dvdrom drive (the first drive). It freezes on the "emachines" logo for a good minute then goes to the black screen reading "boot from cd" but never boots from the cd.

I'd tried the other drive, which is my cdrw drive. It boots from there, but the cd can't read the file thats needed to restore my computer.

Is there anyway to fix this problem thanks

does it boot OK if you unplug the drive?

If it worked before, maybe the BSODs are the result of a hardware failure?

I was told to swap the cables of the DVDRom and the CDROM, how would I go by making the cdrom master and the dvdrom master.. Would I have to switch them by moving it from top to bottom in my tower..

There are jumper settings on the drives. Also, the end of the ribbon cable is for master, the middle one for slave. Make sure you have set the jumpers properly for master/slave use.

you look at the back of the drive, next to where the IDE cable plugs in. Somewhere on the drive, there's either going to be a diagram or labels over the jumpers, indicating which postions go to Master, Slave and Cable Select (or some abbrev. of that). Move the jumper into the right position & away you go.

There should be a map on the drive as to how to position the junpers and if not, you can probably look on the manufacturer's website.

Thanks all for you help, the switching of the drives went well.

Back