DVD burning questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

oOo sam lee oOo

Limp Gawd
i wanted to burn like, a movie, or 25 episodes of naruto onto a dvd, until i found out, that it'll only hold 120 minutes. so if i was to burn it as a data dvd, which would hold more info, would i be able to open these files in like ..my dvd player or my ps2?

A DVD-Movie is just a data DVD with special folders. If the video is encoded the same (MPEG-2, split into 1gb files following a certain method), you won't be able to hold more on one than the other. And if the video is not encoded the same, then standalone dvd players and game consoles won't play it.

so the max i'll get is 120 minutes w/out the quality being reduced? if i wanted to get more minutes, how do i reduce the quality?

basic proceedure I use to backup a DVD
Decrypt it (DVD Decrypt) burning an ISO to the HDD
then strip the menus and extra junk off it, and reauthor the first and last frame with DVD Shrink
which will automatically fit it to the media, (generally about 80%)
that is then rencoded to a folder, and I burn the DVD with Nero

google those aps, and check Doom9's Guides
\
its perfectly legal for you to backup your DVDs
any other explictly stated intention will get the confessor unwanted attention :p

another question:
if i burned a data dvd, would i be able to open it and stuff in like a ps2 or dvd player?

oOo sam lee oOo said:
another question:
if i burned a data dvd, would i be able to open it and stuff in like a ps2 or dvd player?

Nope, unless they are MP3s and your DVD player can read MP3 DVDs.

Alright...Solution time:

ICE pretty much said it.

However a few questions: These episodes are located where? Are they already on DVD? Are they on VHS? If they are on VHS you can go straight to a DVD. Or you can digitize them to a comp, and stream them back out as Full Qual DV to a DVD.
^^ If they are like that, I'll explain more...

If they are on DVD its simple.
DVD Decrypt will basically break your DVD down into .vob files. Which are essentially the movie/episode.
Then use DVD Shrink. This is an amazing program. I have no clue how the algorithms work but it is able to compress your video down to fit on a 4.7GB DVD without qual loss. I kid you not. HOWEVER, that being said. There are ways to achieve that using that program. Most DVDS come encoding with 2.1 channel/subtitles/Languages. All of which you don't need and can decrease compression. Should use the Re-Author Tool. Anyways. DVD Shrink to compress the .vobs to smaller files capable of 1 DVD.
Nero to burn them. You are going to want to choose DVD Video. Then drag the .vobs that have been compressed into the video_ts directory. Burn. Enjoy.

i think they are divx files
u can burn them onto a dvd as data
but ur dvd player most likely wont be able to paly them
unless ur dvd supports divx format, some actaully do
u cant play on ps2 either i dont think

u can convert them to dvd-format, and like u said, a dvd only can hold up to 120 minutes

abudhu said:
Alright...Solution time:

ICE pretty much said it.

However a few questions: These episodes are located where? Are they already on DVD? Are they on VHS? If they are on VHS you can go straight to a DVD. Or you can digitize them to a comp, and stream them back out as Full Qual DV to a DVD.
^^ If they are like that, I'll explain more...

If they are on DVD its simple.
DVD Decrypt will basically break your DVD down into .vob files. Which are essentially the movie/episode.
Then use DVD Shrink. This is an amazing program. I have no clue how the algorithms work but it is able to compress your video down to fit on a 4.7GB DVD without qual loss. I kid you not. HOWEVER, that being said. There are ways to achieve that using that program. Most DVDS come encoding with 2.1 channel/subtitles/Languages. All of which you don't need and can decrease compression. Should use the Re-Author Tool. Anyways. DVD Shrink to compress the .vobs to smaller files capable of 1 DVD.
Nero to burn them. You are going to want to choose DVD Video. Then drag the .vobs that have been compressed into the video_ts directory. Burn. Enjoy.

sorry for the super late response, but the episodes are already on my hard drive. (bittorrent :p )

oOo sam lee oOo said:
sorry for the super late response, but the episodes are already on my hard drive. (bittorrent :p )

Goodbye.. you didn't need to mention that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back