DVD burner causing system shutdown

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I know it sounds crazy but I think my DVD burner is to blame. I could be wrong however. Sometimes all I have to do is touch the drive and my PC shuts down, no blue screen, just a shut down as if I were to choose it from the start menu.

I have a few guesses:
1. the drive has become "faulty" somehow
2. The molex has a bad ground
3. The molex for the drive is part of the chain also powering my 6800GT (never posed a problem before)

I might just replace the thing and see if I still have problems. A PC that shuts down when you touch the DVD drive, WTF?

Yeah I had a bad optical drive that would be recognized in Windows, but anytime you tried to access it it would cause a system shutdown. Not when touching though, just when trying to read any data...
Optical drives seem to break the most frequently out of any computer component don't you think?

you might get some decent money for that, I'd sell it for a prank machine lol.

I find hard disks fail the most.

J-Mag said:
Yeah I had a bad optical drive that would be recognized in Windows, but anytime you tried to access it it would cause a system shutdown. Not when touching though, just when trying to read any data...
Optical drives seem to break the most frequently out of any computer component don't you think?
The drive has been around a while, been in a couple different systems.

I was burning a CD this morning and I hit the "Done" button in Nero, the tray came out, I went to grab the CD and BOOM, shutdown. It really is quite wacky.

Chernobyl1 said:
I find hard disks fail the most.

Maybe, but I always have more hard drives around than opticals, so after facoring that in...

Personally I replace opticals because they die, but I mostly just sell old HD's.

CRXican said:
The drive has been around a while, been in a couple different systems.

I was burning a CD this morning and I hit the "Done" button in Nero, the tray came out, I went to grab the CD and BOOM, shutdown. It really is quite wacky.

Weird, have you tried swapping molex power plugs?

I test fans regularly... While my rig is on, acually. Anyway, I have had a shutdown happen when pluggin in a fan before, so maybe it has something to do with the conneciton between your PSU and Optical drive.

J-Mag said:
Weird, have you tried swapping molex power plugs?

I test fans regularly... While my rig is on, acually. Anyway, I have had a shutdown happen when pluggin in a fan before, so maybe it has something to do with the conneciton between your PSU and Optical drive.
I think that's my next plan of action. I just haven't made the time yet.

Back