DVD/Blu-Ray drives-Are they dead

This is about the only "real" way to protect yourself and "prove" right to use. Of course, doesn't prevent fire, destruction, theft, etc.... but still, better than other methods out there.

Even when the producer, owner, etc. of the music on the media sells off, merges, changes direction, or dies, etc.... your media continues to work.

One of the reasons we that also dabble in the risky business of things like bandcamp (for example) are a bit concerned over Epic's recent acquisition of them (just make sure to download and preserve your content)
Yup and yes fire or damage of course is always there, nothing in life is permanent. But I am more comfortable with the idea i could step on a cd and break it than the company i bought it from just were to make it so i cant listen to it anymore (in reference to online libraries).

Even steam although i have a lot in it, still makes me nervous at times. But with games i have a bunch of discs from when they first started on cds and havent touched them since, music and movies i always go back to though.

Yup and yes fire or damage of course is always there, nothing in life is permanent. But I am more comfortable with the idea i could step on a cd and break it than the company i bought it from just were to make it so i cant listen to it anymore (in reference to online libraries).

Even steam although i have a lot in it, still makes me nervous at times. But with games i have a bunch of discs from when they first started on cds and havent touched them since, music and movies i always go back to though.
Games are a bit more problematic in that they are made to "not work" as the OS platform matures. With that said, as weird as it sounds, Linux ftw! (as you can often get old games to work there, again, as weird as it sounds).

I'm another person who isn't going to be ditching optical drives anytime soon. I do my own CD/DVD/Bluray rips because I can control the quality, format and the way I use the media files. I'm not beholden to a service or ten to provide the service of what I've "purchased" and I don't have to worry about the physical media disappearing because a company decided they didn't want me to have access to it anymore or the company folded. I also don't need to worry about an internet connection to have access to my media. I live out in the middle of nowhere and the ISP can have issues at times. If it goes down I can still watch and listen to everything I have.

I also do my backups using optical media. I have DVDs up to 15 years old as backups which are still perfectly good backups. I have CDs which are even older with no issues with the data on them. I've more recently added Bluray as backup but haven't been using it long enough to tout its longevity.

Back