DVD and CD R/W drives - RANT

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Am I the only person on the planet who has continually, for the past decade or so, had CD and DVD R/W drives fail after only a few burns.. like 3-5 and then they won't burn anything else properly?

At one point I had 5 or 6 drives that had all stopped working... my dead drive stack is only 3 at the moment, maybe 4 as I am pretty sure the DVD R/W drive in my other computer won't burn properly either.

It doesn't matter what brand.. I have tried them all. It also doesn't matter what brand of discs I use either.

They usually still read discs just fine.

I've got an external DVD R/W burner that I bought over 5 years ago that still works just fine... I usually end up using it to burn stuff because I can never seem to get a good internal drive.

I have the worst luck with DVD drives as well - barely used them since steam got big and they all keep dying on me. Either they fail to burn, can't read half the disks I have or straight up have mechanical failures. I don't think I've had a fully operational drive longer than 6 months. It's gotten so bad I just use a jump drive to transfer files off of disks from another computer if I need to.

Then again even the CD player in my car died. Even my new computer at work had a faulty drive that can't recognize blank media. I think I have bad karma with the disk drive god or something :( . At least I've never had a hard drive die.

Well, at least now I know I am not the only person that has some sort of "kill DVD burners" aura surrounding them.

That's strange. I've NEVER had one die on me. Guess I'm just lucky.

Aye.. my old samsung dvd writer also lost its ability to write. It makes funny swirling noises when i try to burn something. Reading is still fine!

On a related note, I can't find reviews of Bluray drives anywhere. I'm after something that sounds solid and with sleve-bearings.

Were they all hooked up to the same connector on the same psu?

Were they all hooked up to the same connector on the same psu?

No, had both IDE and SATA burners on multiple systems... or rather, my main system that has gone through multiple upgrades over the years.

Different PSUs as well.

I've had the same burner for at least 5 years now, it sounds a little old when it's burning at 16x, I do keep meaning to grab a new one but i'm only reminded when I hear it make those awful noises. Be nice to get rid of the PATA cable too. Seems to still work just fine though.

Am I the only person on the planet who has continually, for the past decade or so, had CD and DVD R/W drives fail after only a few burns.. like 3-5 and then they won't burn anything else properly?

At one point I had 5 or 6 drives that had all stopped working... my dead drive stack is only 3 at the moment, maybe 4 as I am pretty sure the DVD R/W drive in my other computer won't burn properly either.

It doesn't matter what brand.. I have tried them all. It also doesn't matter what brand of discs I use either.

They usually still read discs just fine.

I've got an external DVD R/W burner that I bought over 5 years ago that still works just fine... I usually end up using it to burn stuff because I can never seem to get a good internal drive.

What brand of burner died on you? I'd stay away from the crappy Mad Dog and Sony DVD Burners they crap out fast.

I thought I had a burner go bad. Wouldn't recognize blank media. Went on for a year. Then I looked at the front tray and realized it was a reader only :(

I thought I had a burner go bad. Wouldn't recognize blank media. Went on for a year. Then I looked at the front tray and realized it was a reader only :(

hahah, made my day. And yes, cd/dvd/blu-ray drives seem to drop around me like I was personally delivering the black plague of burners to them. Thank god I barely have to use them anymore, and I don't have the same affliction with flash drives.

hahah, made my day. And yes, cd/dvd/blu-ray drives seem to drop around me like I was personally delivering the black plague of burners to them. Thank god I barely have to use them anymore, and I don't have the same affliction with flash drives.

I have had really good luck through the years. In the early days I had a rash of bad NEC multispeed SCSI's, but since then I have had maybe 1 or 2 out of 20 drives die over the years. Good luck with Sony, Lite On, HP & Samsung.

Plextor or Liteon here. Can't say I've ever had them die on me. I've had the CD/DVD burnt more often die before the burner actually died.
Don't do much burning but when i do it works. Just had to burn something a few days ago for new server.

Back