DV Capture - anyone know how to get rid of out-of-sync audio in long captures?

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been wanting to convert my old VHS-C tapes to DVD for a while now. I started doing analog captures through my ATI AIW 9800Pro. But I found that on captures of longer than about 20 minutes, I'd start getting random crashes, the screen goes black and the PC is just dead. WinXP eventvwr doesn't even show any errors. After fiddling around I came to the conclusion that my ATI AIW 9800Pro was overheating, because damn that thing was getting hot, and I'm not even overclocking it anymore.

So as a workaround, I started transfering my VHS-C to my Sony Digital 8 camcorder, and then doing a DV capture over firewire. While this solved the crashing problem, it exposed a new one, out-of-sync audio. On captures longer than about 20 minutes, the audio gradually begins to drift, so that by the end of a 1 hour capture, the audio is out-of-sync from the video by about 1-2 seconds.

I did some research, and found that most digital camcorders have the ability to record audio in 12-bit 32KHz, and 16-bit 48KHz, but by default, most are set to 12-bit. I've read that this can contribute to the OOS audio problem. I checked mine and sure enough it was set to 12-bit. I changed it to 16-bit, did another 1 hour VHS-C transfer, and then a DV capture. The OOS audio was still there, though not as bad as before. Now at 59 mintues it was only off by about 1/2 second. I'm using Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus for capturing BTW.

I figure this is the most informed group of people around, folks here have seen it all, and done it all. Surely there must be someone here who has experienced this, and knows how to fit it?

Out-of-sync (OOS) is a very talked about topic on the Pinnacle forums. It's the one problem, other than general program crashing, that many Pinnacle Studio users experience.

I can't offer a quick solution, but I do recommend visiting the Pinnacle Forums to hear what others say.

I've used Pinnacle Studio 8 for over 2 years, I've made dozens of hour long DVDs with menus, and I've never had an OOS problem. My fingers are crossed! I want to get Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus... but after all the OOS talk... I'm worried.

Pinnacle Studio 9 Forum

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've been living in the Pinnacle forums for about two weeks now and finally decided to seek outside help. My OOS problem isn't just in Studio 9, I see it in WinDV as well. On thing I was able to do to lessen the problem was switch my camcorder from 12-bit 32KHz audio to 16-bit 48KHz audio. But after a one hour DV capture, I still see about 1/2 second of OOS audio toward the end of the capture.

For now, I've resigned myself to capturing only in 20 minute chunks, and just splicing them together. At 20 minutes, the capture isn't long enough for the OOS audio to be noticable.

Back