Dutch Cyclists Face Mobile Phone Ban

This is absolutely a case of individual rights and making regulations for the sake of it. People being distracted while riding a bike isn't a wide spread problem by any stretch of the imagination. People being assholes on bikes and not obeying traffic laws is a far bigger issue. I've never seen one person texting and riding. I've seen people act like they are completely above the law nearly daily.

Basing you entire argument on what only you have observed in a different country then what we are talking about?
I assume you have some statistics to backup this claim.

I'm from the Netherlands and personally I feel it's a good law. If you really need to use a phone, just stop and go to the side of the street or something.

As for people saying it's their own fault if they get into an accident because they're using a phone; what about the people affected by their actions? It's already terrible if a bicyclist gets under a car because he was distracted with his phone, but think how it would affect the driver of that car? Or another bicyclist hitting a pedestrian with the latter getting badly hurt?

Being irresponsible is one thing, but there has to be a line when your stupidity is going to affect others.

Pedestrians can be just as bad. When using a phone they often don't even look up when crossing a road. And then complain when someone bumps into them.

Back