DUSK Reveal Trailer

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know a damned thing about this game other than it claims to be a retro first person shooter inspired by "all your 90's favorites." From what I can see in the video, it has the look and the pace down pat. Your thoughts?

Definitely has that Quake/Doom/Heretic etc feel to it. I'm just worried the map designing just won't give you that kind of feel it gave you when you played these games in the 90's. I just don't think you can hope a game to succeed purely on retro. It's the good memories of the games when you played it THEN which you keep remembering, it won't give you the same feel today.

new engines in old cars = fun.

new engines in old games = have fun selling for 20 cents on steam

you didnt have to use a mouse to play shooters in the 90s. you were better with one, but remember there was no Y-axis aiming required for the shooters this game looks to mimic...

new engines in old cars = fun.

new engines in old games = have fun selling for 20 cents on steam

you didnt have to use a mouse to play shooters in the 90s. you were better with one, but remember there was no Y-axis aiming required for the shooters this game looks to mimic...

Gravis gamepad, baby!

I liked Heretic, but I never beat it. I got Heretic and Descent at the same time. I spent more time grinding through the tunnels of Descent.

I hope this title runs at no less than 1000 fps.

Awesome, looks like hillbillys vs the KKK with some kick a$$ music. Yeah but no thanks, to many games with good graphics I have yet to finish. Maybe if it was in VR.

Been there, done that. I already have all of the Doom, Quake, Heretic and Hexen games and I rarely have time to replay them.

I think the new Doom proved you can have the retro "feel" but still use modern graphics.

The idea seems fun, but why go back to 1990's 3D graphics? They were hard to look at even then.
I'm not saying it needs to be Crysis, but why not go the route of the new Doom or Shadow Warrior? It feels like a Doom 1 mod that would have been free even in 1995.

These always look fun due to nostalgia, but then when I go to play them I realize how much I miss modern shooter mechanics. So probably a hard pass unless it is cheap.

Reminds me of Heretic and Hexen, classic games !!! But the graphics look basic on this.

The idea seems fun, but why go back to 1990's 3D graphics? They were hard to look at even then.
I'm not saying it needs to be Crysis, but why not go the route of the new Doom or Shadow Warrior? It feels like a Doom 1 mod that would have been free even in 1995.

+1

My exact thoughts, I completely am all about better gameplay/story than graphics but in this day and age there is no reason to make it look like complete shit because 'retro'

I dunno, reminds me of a copycat game of a AAA-title you'd find on the Shareware rack back in the 90s.

Definitely has that Quake/Doom/Heretic etc feel to it. I'm just worried the map designing just won't give you that kind of feel it gave you when you played these games in the 90's. I just don't think you can hope a game to succeed purely on retro. It's the good memories of the games when you played it THEN which you keep remembering, it won't give you the same feel today.

you might be totally right. but in some cases retro does work. well for some people.
like im about to start op Master of Orion... nono i know whatyou think... but im talking about the old dos version. its probably the most played game of 2016 on my pc. its just soo simple yet has so many things in it that makes it worth replaying it
2015 was they years of civ2. for me. i didnt progress as much in that game skillwise as in MoO maybe that why im still palying MoO just gotta se if i can do a little better this time around.

2 yesr or so back when i picked up the game again cause iwas on a nostalgia face i started on simple difficulty. i played and practiced my way from simply through easy medium hard and is now having victories on impossible.

FPS might not work on the same way as it doesn have that number crunching thing that i like to do. but i still start up quake3A and ut2004 now and then when i just want a quick fps battle on my own

I'd be willing to give the game a try. Resembles the look of Redneck Rampage with effects from Doom/Quake and a few others. "Hang on to yer britches!" :D

Looks cool, though I'm not really sold on the dick-shaped arrows.

Maybe because there's a production budget difference between this and what you named of a few million dollars...

EDIT:
Best I can tell, the developers of Shadow Warrior had a budget of $5 million and 35 people when they made Hard Reset. This appears to be all one dev, except for the music.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to give the game a try. Resembles the look of Redneck Rampage with effects from Doom/Quake and a few others. "Hang on to yer britches!" :D

Redneck Rampage was awesome haha :) Used to love especially the map designing and well how you could drive in the trenches with hovercrafts with mounted mortar or machinegun mounted bikes in "Rides Again". How you would make a whole cruise boat sink. Ahh the memories. Tornado swinging you up in the air etc. things like that was like mighty impressive back then.

I dunno, just my opinion but I can't get much enjoyment out of throwback type games. The nostalgia of those types of games carry them for me because of the enjoyment I had. Playing new different games based on that style just feel like a pile of shit of code and low budget. Though I do hope any person that puts their passion into a game gets some fun and reward for the work. Just doesn't catch this old grumpy-ass gamer's attention.

Back