Dunno where else to put this... MP3s lost?

Eulogy

2[H]4U
OK... here's what happened. I was browsing files on my PC, when all of a suddent everything from "G" down in my MP3 folder disappears. I figure, whatever, windows is acting up (what else is new) and restart... well, after that,they're still not showing up. Hm I say, this isn't good (60GB of MP3s going away? Ah!) So, I check a couple of things.
1) Windows is still telling me the drive is as full as it was previously. It's a 240GB partition, and is roughly 99% full, has been for quite some time now, and windows as I said is saying it still is. OK, so the data is there, right?
2 Winamp test. I fire up winamp, que up some PanterA, and hey, it starts to play Woohoo! The files aren't gone/corrupt etc. I'm thinking it's not a HDD failure.
3) Command Prompt test. I fire up XPs command prompt (why oh why did they do away with DOS!). At first I was curious why 'ls' didn't work, but then got my OSes straight and got my way to my MP3 folder. I do a "dir /p" here. enter...enter...enter...enter... gets to that G spot (heh) and then displays "File Not Found". :confused: <-- my face when I read this. File Not Found? Wtf mate!
4) drive check. Next I run windows scan-disk junk on it. It comes up with no errors etc... cool.
5) Fire up everest to check SMART data. Hey, everything checks out here, also.
This is when I start really saying wth is going on.
6) Partition Magic! Ah, it'll tell me if something is wrong somwhere. Well, sometimes it does. Nope, nada, drive checks perfectly.

So, 3 programs are telling me my harddisk is fine. Windows is saying that "something" is occupying all sorts of space. Winamp happens to be able to play this something. Explorer and Command Prompt refuse to show me my mp3s!

Anyone have any idea how to crack this one? :mad: Thanks guys!!

That's what's REALLY getting me guys... winamp will still play the MP3s that windows explorer isn't showing. BIOS is now telling me that the harddrive is bad though, as well, so I'm sure it's on it's way out.
I assume that I'll be able to back everything up, but I don't know how if I can't access the files. Honestly if I lose 60GB of MP3s, I'll probably cry (yes, I'm that attached to them... I know, it's sad).
Does anyone know of a way that I could get them back? I was wondering if ghosting it would work? Any other suggestions? I'm going to take my computer to ResNet (at the school) tomorrow to see if they can pull all the data off, then either buy and ass load of DVDs or a new HDD and see if they'll allow me to put all of my data on that.
Oh not happy days. :(

Back