Dungeons and Dragons Dark Alliance

I liked Dark Alliance 2 on PS2. I liked it better than Baldur's Gate because it was more action oriented diablo like gameplay. Even though I do like the Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc... type games, I tend to like the ARPG Diablo like games more. Though with this particular release, I am not liking that there is no Wizard or Sorceress character in this game. I always play a magic caster in the D&D games and not seeing one in the game makes it really hard for me to want to buy this.

the problem with dark alliance was marketing it as baldurs gate, that was a bait and switch.

ARPGs are... meh, fun for a bit but I don't get the appeal long term, the keyboard/mouse interaction is way to repetitive.

This might be good though, third person arpgs tend to be less click fest and a little more tactical.

I don’t like the camera positioning (seems to be normal with this dev) and I can already tell I’m going to get supremely bored with this if I was to purchase, as I’m bored watching these gameplay videos, which is a bummer.

I for one liked the older Dark Alliances and would have liked another non-Diablo iso ARPG.

Man. I wanted to like this, but it just doesn't seem like what I hoped. It seems like an action MMO with some mashy overtones. The focus on playing with groups basically means there won't be much of a story and the look at how builds/leveling works looks simplistic.
Hopefully they'll hurry up and finish Baldur's Gate 3 at some point. That (or a legit sequel to one of the Neverwinter games) = more of what I want.

Game looks fun but wondering if it has online matchmaking just local coop with friends level design looks good.

Animations are skip animations where it skips a sequence to follow up another animation.
Not sure how it would play out but still looks choppy.

I got my refund anyway nothing coming out for a while after this game.

lol.

I may get it once its out and things shake out. I don't preorder outside of a very few titles and waiting saves me time and money. Dodged the outriders bullet that way.

Anyone going to pick this up?

After watching the latest gameplay video, I gotta say, it looks like it needs at least another year in development. The combat looks horrid, no weight to anything, I dunno. I was excited for this for the 4 player component only, but I think it will get relatively poor reviews and end up a bargain bin game.

PC gamer never gives out 90s so that is a good review. If a game bombs they give it a 65.

Reviews are mixed - but for those of us on xbox pass its a no brainer as it is a day 1 free game.
Yeah I've kept my Game Pass active for a long time without playing anything because it's pretty cheap. I'll play it for free. I didn't even know it was coming to Game Pass day 1, so thanks for the heads up.

Seems like it's getting bombed on Steam this morning. Oddly...I don't see it on MSFT Store as an option and I have Game Pass on PC.

MSFT Store is so werid, I had to go to the website link to open it in app to download the game.

Last edited:
Gah, reviews look middling to bad. "Unfun" and "Uninspired" seem to be the echo'ed adjectives. I was grasping a ray of hope that this would be quality. Dark Alliance I and II were the reason I held onto my XBox OG well into the 2010s. Oh well.

Mostly Negative reviews on Steam was hoping for the best I think Duke Nukem Forever puts this game to shame which I had 400 hours in the MP.

I think it's fine for one playthrough, especially multiplayer. I played two missions this morning with full parties and I didn't hate it. I also didn't spend $39.99 on it, I'd say if you have Game Pass, install it, get your 15-20 hours, move on.

So - here are my gripes with this game so far - I DO like the combat and the level design, I think it's fun for a playthrough, but the issues are plentiful to say the least.

1. There's only 4 classes and 3 of them are melee. No mage class at all? Wtf? This is the least "D&D" D&D game I've ever played from that perspective.
2. Because there's only 4 classes, if you are specifically trying to build one character and playing multiplayer, if someone else has already joined with that character, you have to change characters or drop the match.
3. After every online match I get disconnected back to the beginning screen, nothing serious but kind of dumb that it won't drop me back in the hub

Played the tutorial and first mission solo. Feels like a sub-par game. Controls and cameras are frustrating. I so wish combat was more like the Middle Earth: Shadow series.

Without the Drizzt lore tie-in nobody would be talking about it.

Played the tutorial and first mission solo. Feels like a sub-par game. Controls and cameras are frustrating. I so wish combat was more like the Middle Earth: Shadow series.

Without the Drizzt lore tie-in nobody would be talking about it.

Probably right. The game sucks solo too, if you're going to play this game, do not play it solo. I'm having fun playing it on harder modes with other people, it's actually pretty damn tough. Basically a lot of getting one shotted.

Back