dungeon siege II... worth it?

Firebomb

[H]ard|Gawd
people who have played it, is it worth it and how many can u have at one time.. and is it crowded with mods like the first one was.?

i think 2 is much more balanced than 1, and i had a lot of fun with it.
almost beat it in the same couple of weeks, then a btter game came my way.

if you liked te first one, you should like this one more.

I'd say it's worth. I got it over Christmas break and I'll admit I haven't gotten all the way through single-player (damn you school for taking up all my time). I used to be a pretty big Diablo II addict so I thought it would be hard finding an RPG that could live up to it. DSII is pretty close. I think overall it's really balanced and there are numerous pathways to take a character. Items don't play nearly as big a role as they did in Diablo II IMO. A well-balanced party with medicore equipment can do just fine (i.e. in single player). You don't need all of the uber gear just to get through the game. The gameplay is balanced and it's hard for someone to get really overpowered which makes the game more fun I think. It's definately worth checking out IMO.

what i liked about DS2 was even if you had the best possible group make up ever, your group can still die in one second, its really about micro management, and understanding how to put certain guys in roles that doesnt' require alot of attention

one thing that this game does deliver on is a bigger world, they set alot of cool sides in the game to explore, its a very well done game as far as art, and foliage goes, it sometimes feels like you are really going through a dusty old forest, kinda cool, and the traps sometimes catches you off guard as well

over all the game gets an A- from me, its got great creativity, decent replay value, and the story line is top notch, plus the cut scenes are drool worthy

Trimlock said:
the story line is top notch
Very true...I forgot to mention that. The story really "makes sense" in that it is paced very well and it always leaves you wondering what you'll find out next (at least the first time playing through the game). Even most of the side quests you get will in some way or another relate to the overall storyline and provide information which really adds to the depth of the game.

my roommate and I picked this up for $30 (although ive seen it as low as $15 since...drat)

Its enjoyable enough. The game seems like there is a ton of content. We've been playing over a local lan, and did experience one nasty crash bug that corrupted my save file (the game wouldnt even start till I deleted the file) and we had to start over so that sucked. So we've got our two adventurers with 2 pets each (pets dont soak up exp like additional adventurers will, but they are less versatile) and we are more or less destroying everything in sight. Like Diablo 2, you have skill points and trees, but the abilities dont seem as powerful (or as absolutely necessary) as D2. You also get "powers" (aka nukes) which are big special attacks that slowly regenerate while you fight. As a melee fighter, I use a power which simply does like 2000% of the damage of a normal attack for your next attack. Other powers have area effects, or stun, or heal you or other things.

Loot seems pretty iffy, but I think they intend you to replay the game on the harder difficulty settings where it gets better. still only like halfway through Act 2 though.

I have been a Diablo fan ever since the start, and my opinion is that DSII is not worth it.

When I bought the game, I didn't even play it for a week before putting it in my desk, which i have yet to see again (since before Christmas).

Edit: Which reminds me of how much I hated it. Maybe it is because I didn't play very much, so I didn't get very far.... but everywhere I went, I was simply walking through hallways disguised as jungle. Everywhere, narrow paths that lead you to one destination. You are punished for venturing outside of your class... very lame. Next to zero replayability. It may have a good story line, but the voices are a joke; very poor acting.

theres a demo on the gas powered games website. Personally, I couldn't get into it.

I'm trying to get into it. I bought it during the christmas break and haven't played it much at all.
I did play through CoD2 and NFSMW for the first times after I had DS2.
So... I just wasn't sucked in, but I was a huge D2 addict.... oh my. that was a bad spell. lost a couple years to that game.

where's Hellgate? :D

It is pretty good. But if you want better hack and slash fun, I think Fate is a better choice. Plus Oblivion is coming out soon, and a expansion of DS2 is in the works. So I'd wait, because you know when expansion comes out they are going to release some "gold" package deal

I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the first one. My only real complaint is with the random weapon/armor drops. This game has the worst coding for the random item creation I have ever seen. Most of the drops are completely worthless. I was still using armor I found about halfway through at the end of the game. And don't expect to complete many of the special sets. I had 5 to 10 of the same special set peices but never got the complete sets. How hard is it to allow for only one instance of the special sets to be created?

I really enjoyed the game but this was a glaring flaw in an otherwise fairly polished game. I would not hesitate to recommend it though.

i've completed alot of the high end sets for DS2, alot of them you have to do side quests, there is no high end armor (ie epic set armors) so pretty much its a waste in the end to concentrate on them, my best items are epics, the set bonuses never gave me the amount of stats the purples do, not to mention i have max points in the skills that matter so what should we care about +5 to all melee/archery/wtfbbq skillz

the thing that kills me is when you load up the highest level of difficulty and get out of prison and they give you clothes... its still all the lvl 1-3 shit from the easiest setting =(

CyberCecil said:
I thought it was leaps and bounds better than the first one. My only real complaint is with the random weapon/armor drops. This game has the worst coding for the random item creation I have ever seen. Most of the drops are completely worthless. I was still using armor I found about halfway through at the end of the game. And don't expect to complete many of the special sets. I had 5 to 10 of the same special set peices but never got the complete sets. How hard is it to allow for only one instance of the special sets to be created?

I really enjoyed the game but this was a glaring flaw in an otherwise fairly polished game. I would not hesitate to recommend it though.

that right there, drove me to use user made mods...

If you can get it for 15 bucks, it's worth a look. Seemed to like my ATi set-up more than my SLi, IQ wise. Fun for sure.

I didn't care for it, personally. I got bored after getting into Act II and installed Morrowind to play for the third time. Maybe one day, when I'm done with Morrowind, Oblivion and don't have anything to do, I *might* have to fire it back up again.

I got bored with the demo so I never got the game. maybe playing the game is better than the demo? it is with empire at war, so never know

Back