Dungeon Siege 3 causes 4850 full load, overheating

XHair

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased Dungeon Siege 3(DS3) to pass the time with out-of-state friends. The problem is that I cannot play it for more than 15-30 minutes without my computer crashing.

I run GPU-Z on my second monitor and the GPU load goes to 100% when in DS3. GPU temps exceed 100C. After a few minutes of play fan speed reaches 100%. Alt-tabbing instantly reduces GPU load to ~0%. Eventually the computer shuts down(I presume because the temps are too hot). CPU temps elevate a few C but I don't think that's why it's crashing.

The game thought my video card could handle everything and set the graphics pretty high(suggesting that something is up).

• I set everything to minimum and it still crashed.
  • I put it in windowed mode on a lowered resolution and it still crashes.
  • I updated the drivers
  • I removed my second video card(X1950) just in case and reinstalled the drivers.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would also cause my computer to do the same thing.

RIG: Everything in my signature, but the CPU is at stock right now.

Last edited:
I had the reference 4850 from saphire. About a year ago I bought Dirt 2 and it started crashing after about 10 minutes of play. It was over heating. I was lucky enough that it happened 1 month before the warranty expired! Those first 4850's that came out didn't have enough cooling and I think the Thermal paste wore out.

I'd make sure your fan is spinning properly, the heatsink is clean, and while your at it, repaste it.

My 4850 never breaks 70c, mine isn't reference though.

I went through three different 4850s when they first came out and I had a similar problem as you but with oblivion. I ended up getting a gtx260 and didn't have any problems after that. I never tried what Jorona suggested because these were all brand new cards but hopefully that works for you.

I'll dig out some thermal paste this weekend unless anyone else has any more ideas. I cleaned it out with the compressor about 3-4 weeks ago, but the card is showing is getting rather old. I didn't even think about the thermal paste.

*Is there any difference between doing thermal paste for a CPU and GPU?

I think it may have just needed an epic cleanup again. I must've done a lackluster job the last time, because it's down 15C.

Back