Dungeon Defenders

I got it via Amazon (steam key, only 11.99 there).

I went through the tutorial video but man, the menu in-game, how you euqip things, etc seems SO confusing and clunky.

I was supposed to get a pet on amazon, but while playing in my box there's nothing there? Do only certain classes have them?

It is quite likely the pet is available in your private tavern. To get it, do the following (after starting the game):

1) Select "Online Play"
2) Select "TrendyNet" or "Open" (I only use TrendyNet)
3) Select any character and click "Start" in lower-right corner
4) Select "Private Server" and acknowledge it won't be listed
5) There will be a box somewhere in the tavern, touch it and your pet should drop. You can equip it if you want or if you can't equip it yet put it in storage, then go to storage and ENSURE THE PET IS LOCKED!!!!1!11one!!11!

There are a LOT of people that don't seem to understand why it's worth locking items you receive, and it's absolutely critical that you lock something you want to keep!

people with screen tearing go to Steam\steamapps\common\dungeondefenders\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini and change UseVsync=False to True. Works like a charm.

I'm not sure about Open, but on Ranked just make a Private Match. Anyone on your Steam friends list can join your game just by right-clicking your name in Steam and selecting Join Game. You can also send people invites this way. They can join when you're in your tavern or even during a map (they won't actually spawn until the build phase.) So you can restrict just by making a Private Match.

Awesome, thanks for the info Wrecklusive. I've got a couple buddies playing too now and it occasionally got annoying not being able to restrict that 3rd or 4th player spot.

Edit- I ran into a major glitch the first couple days after the game came out that has hopefully been resolved by now: Every Open/Single player character I created would be deleted upon exiting the game! Without fail, I'd create a new character, exit the game, load it back up, and all my characters were gone.

To fix the issue had to go to my Steam\Steamapps\Common\ folder and uncheck the read-only setting on the 'Dungeon Defenders' folder. Afterwords my characters saved just fine. Hopefully this will help someone else having the same issue.

Last edited:
I've had nothing but problems with the game. Spent an hour troubleshooting last night only to have the game freeze up 2 times, and disconnect another 2. When I'm in it's fun, but damn..

Beat the game on Medium last night with two of my friends. I think we were 27 Huntress, 27 Squire, and me as a 30 Monk. We all started at the very same time and didn't play those characters without each other-I just got ahead of them as I'd get MVP and have a higher score every game. We finished right at bed time last night, so we haven't decided what we're doing next--probably going to go back and do everything on Hard or try some Challenges, which we haven't even touched yet.

Definitely have gotten more than $15 of enjoyment out of this game though, highly recommended. The time sure does fly though when you're playing, whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you. We'd play about five hours for the past three nights and it'd only seem like a couple.

I'm going to tell you some things you may not know that hopefully will excite you about what to do now that you've "beaten" the game...

if you can last to wave 15 on survival mode you will gain a pet (there are many pets throughout the game for things of this nature)

the strength of that pet will be determined by the difficulty of the waves

the *size* of that pet will be random and will grow as he levels

...while you wait for your friends to come online check out your tavern....

This is a pretty fun game. My friend introduced me to it this past weekend. I'm not usually into the tower defense style games but since this one has some RPG elements built in, its worthwhile.

Looks perfect for LANing with and we have our xmas and new years one planned already so this will be an awesome 4 pack deal at xmas with hopefully some discounts.

We did the same with sanctum at the last LAN, which was just after a steam deal so we got a 4 pack for that which none of us played until the LAN where we really got in to it.

this game is a total blast. Found an impressive sword last session i played... im now destroying all ennemies in my path!

got an extra copy of dungeon defender from steam (with steam bonus). anyone interests in it?

I picked this up last week based on the feedback here. Thank you! I'm 18 hours /played already, and enjoying it very much.
Simple enough to be "easy" and challenging enough to be difficult.

I tried the demo, and the first thing I noticed was that it uses some of the sounds from sacrifice...:eek:

Looks fun, but when I installed it on Sunday, it killed my keyboard completely. I couldn't end task on the app, as I couldn't get out of the game to do so. I finally wound up enabling my Xbox controller and using it to exit the game, then shutting down.

I havn't had time to play since then, but I look forward to it.

Looks fun, but when I installed it on Sunday, it killed my keyboard completely. I couldn't end task on the app, as I couldn't get out of the game to do so. I finally wound up enabling my Xbox controller and using it to exit the game, then shutting down.

I think you can configure the controller options prior to launching the game. When you start the game from Steam, and the splash screen appears, go to the Configuration button first to verify the controller settings.

I didn't experience this issue myself so I don't know for sure that the options are there but it's worth checking.

That's a strange bug I haven't heard of yet, but yes Artificiary's post on configuration is correct. Also, you can do it manually through the config files. If you're familiar with UE then you'll know where and what to change, if not there are tons of resources on the net.

Did you have a joystick/wheel/pedals plugged in? I've had that cause this issue before.

Yep, I configured everything in the settings prior to starting the actual game, but something certainly borked up after I got into the game itself. Sniper, I do have the wireless Xbox360 controller adaptor plugged in. I'll give it another shot tonight. It'll be late though, I have to swap out our UPS system after all the workers leave. Ugh. The 2300XL batteries aren't exactly light.

It's worth noting that the added LAN support for the game, but on Open only (which makes sense.)

They also added the ability to export a ranked character to Open, so when you do go to a LAN party you can use your ranked toons simply by exporting them prior to attending the LAN party (assuming the LAN doesn't have network access.)

Dumb noob question: just bought the game, I have a pet in my inventory but I can't figure out how to use him?

You equip him like you do with armor. (In the equipment screen, it's the gear slot near the waist.)

I got this game two weeks ago. It's loot crack. I can't stop playing. I fear for my job when Diablo III is released...

Is there a guide with some basics regarding stats/builds/leveling? For instance I've come across various posts mentioning things like caps (50 or 70?) And things like diminishing returns on stats after a certain point (10 or 50)?

Can you go to the tavern directly after level completion? The choice I see is proceed to next level, if i exit it says you lose all progress, is this correct?

What happens to all the items on the ground if you don't pick them up? I know mana is automatically added to your bank.

What happens to chests you don't open between each wave?

Is there a way to filter the item box?

Is there a guide with some basics regarding stats/builds/leveling? For instance I've come across various posts mentioning things like caps (50 or 70?) And things like diminishing returns on stats after a certain point (10 or 50)?

There is a difference in stat caps between PC and Console. I can only speak for the PC version. With the level increase to 74, the stat cap is 120. With equipment, I have seen them reach as high as 1400. The DD wiki can explain the diminishing return curves better than I could.

Can you go to the tavern directly after level completion? The choice I see is proceed to next level, if i exit it says you lose all progress, is this correct?

If you are playing a challenge, when you click proceed to next level, you will be taken to the tavern. When doing campaign maps, I find it best to go ahead and Click to proceed to next level the get the mana from the auto-loot sale and then exit to the tavern when you are in the next level. That way you will not lose your progress while gaining mana from the sale of the loot you did not pick up.

What happens to all the items on the ground if you don't pick them up? I know mana is automatically added to your bank.

When you proceed to the next round or next level, the game auto-sells the loot and divides the mana up between the players in the game.

What happens to chests you don't open between each wave?

Nothing. Its best to try and open then all before you proceed to the next round/level. From what I hear, the chests have a better chance to drop higher quality loot.

Is there a way to filter the item box?

Not that I know of. The items that I want to sell I transfer to my Hero shop. The items that I want to keep I lock. Everything else is vendor trash.

You can actually just go back straight to the tavern/ restart the level after completing the level. You will still earn the mana from the items auto selling.

I never see the mana being added when I do that so I just go ahead and go to the next level. Just to be safe....

There is a difference in stat caps between PC and Console. I can only speak for the PC version. With the level increase to 74, the stat cap is 120. With equipment, I have seen them reach as high as 1400. The DD wiki can explain the diminishing return curves better than I could.

I'm wondering if you can link to this? I tried searching at the wiki already and the only information I found was basically mentioning diminishing returns with no further information.

Not looking for completely detailed formulas, but for instance take my apprentice. I'm focusing on towers with him, and have been focusing on damage and putting in tower hp/range as needed. But I have no approximate clue even at what point that tower damage return becomes low, and maybe I should put more into cast rate (build/repair faster) or the other tower stats.

I'm wondering if you can link to this? I tried searching at the wiki already and the only information I found was basically mentioning diminishing returns with no further information.

Not looking for completely detailed formulas, but for instance take my apprentice. I'm focusing on towers with him, and have been focusing on damage and putting in tower hp/range as needed. But I have no approximate clue even at what point that tower damage return becomes low, and maybe I should put more into cast rate (build/repair faster) or the other tower stats.

For apprentice towers, attack rate is a clear example of diminishing returns. The tower has to complete its firing animation AND wait for its cooldown to finish before it can fire another shot. Attack rate lowers cooldown, but nothing makes the animation quicker, so you can see that when attack rate is high enough, you start bumping into a wall. (Most attack animations are between 0.25 and 0.33 seconds.)

Traps and auras don't suffer from diminishing returns per se, but very high attack rates and radii are counterintuitive because a big radius makes placement more difficult. Faster attack rate makes auras tick down to 0HP faster, but only the lightning aura actually gets anything good out of the deal.

Good lord, that first ogre you encounter on the second level is difficult as hell the first time you play through. I barely made it through by the skin of my teeth playing as a squire. What's his weakness supposed to be?

Good lord, that first ogre you encounter on the second level is difficult as hell the first time you play through. I barely made it through by the skin of my teeth playing as a squire. What's his weakness supposed to be?

You can grab his attention and kite him around the map. So his main weakness is friends to help kill him while one person runs for their life while being chased. Just remember he has a short attention span, so you have to get a hit in, or take a hit every so often or else he'll go back to pounding on your defenses.

Judicious use of spiked barricades or slice-and-dice in front of one or more cannonballs or harpoons usually takes care of ogres.

Kiting (even playing solo) can also help if your towers die to quickly. They key, as mentioned before, is getting their attention. You can keep the ogre focused on you while you position him in front of your towers.

On a side note. If anyone wants to play shoot me a message. I'm usually playing in the evenings and on the weekend.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960821475/

I want to get this game but its pretty expensive with all of the DLC. How is the game without all of the DLC and can I still play with people online that have the DLC?

What are you talking about, "pretty expensive?" It was $2 on Amazon with DLC included just a few days ago. Where were you?

Goaty: I have spiked barricades, the round barricade thing, and just now got a harpoon launcher. I also only have the spinning slash attack. I'm sure ogres are not that difficult when you are leveled up, but they're ridiculous with new characters. On both my apprentice and squire, it took two tries because the first time I took on that map with either character, I only had two towers to use. Even then, my towers only chipped away at its ridiculous amount of health (compared to every other mob I've encountered so far) and they just got destroyed by it.

What are you talking about, "pretty expensive?" It was $2 on Amazon with DLC included just a few days ago. Where were you?

Goaty: I have spiked barricades, the round barricade thing, and just now got a harpoon launcher. I also only have the spinning slash attack. I'm sure ogres are not that difficult when you are leveled up, but they're ridiculous with new characters. On both my apprentice and squire, it took two tries because the first time I took on that map with either character, I only had two towers to use. Even then, my towers only chipped away at its ridiculous amount of health (compared to every other mob I've encountered so far) and they just got destroyed by it.

Its just past my max I want to spend with all of the DLC combined. :p I bought it anyways, just didn't get all of the DLC.

For the squire you can take advantage of blocking when he attacks. It's pretty methodic and easy to tell when he telegraphs his attack. You can pretty much tank him (or any boss for that matter) that way.

For an apprentice just kite him.

Back