Dune Games in 2020

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
Reports are starting to arrive, unsurprisingly, that there will be several Dune games for PC and consoles are in the works to coincide with the upcoming Villeneuve movie (which is starring everyone and their brother, apparently). Funcom is doing one for PC which I think bodes well (they did a great job with the Conan IP, IMO, once the content was filled out).

Open world game where you can play as a Freman, Sardaukar, Harkonnen, Bene Gesserit etc...? Count me in for a loinclothed Sting-modeled Fey. I hope there's a control to adjust my suspension belt.

Fond memories of Dune and Dune 2000. Hopefully there will be an RTS.

I remember those games. We will see if the new ones will catch my attention

Open world game
kqBZS3n.png

It will probably be a shitty battle royal game.

An RTS like the originals could be cool though.

So it will be a re-skinned conan exiles, no thanks. Hell they don't even have to re-skin it it's already in a desert.

RTS would be great, but I'm sure they'll muck it up. Generally when going for movie based games, you either get things like Star Trek and Mad Max. not RTS titles. Also, probably something slack-jawed and open world, or even a multiplayer game like Battlefront 2.. smdh. They'll do something to cock it up, for sure. Still.. one can dream.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

giphy.gif

.... I don't even know what genre I want - RTS, Open-World RPG, Turn-based strategy, 3rd person Bioware-style....

Just Give Me SOMETHING, ANYTHING GOOD!!

<- Psyched as hell for this as a fan of the books, SciFi mini-series, and yes - even the 80's David Lynch film.
tumblr_oo5jhh16lT1w67ki0o1_500.gif

I think the Dune setting would be pretty awesome for an old Bioware third person style RPG, there is a lot of ready to go plots and sub plots they could hook onto.

It will not happen, but it could be pretty epic.

I think the Dune setting would be pretty awesome for an old Bioware third person style RPG, there is a lot of ready to go plots and sub plots they could hook onto.

It will not happen, but it could be pretty epic.

I hope you mean Bioware circa 2008, not the joke it's become.

But yes, would be an awesome Dragon Age Origins-style RPG

Yeah with that username i would hope so!
Dune II was my first PC game. Now and then I replay the game on DOSBox. When you have to answer the questions between scenarios, I could easily lookup the answers online, but I refer to the original instruction manual that came with the game. :)

I hope you mean Bioware circa 2008, not the joke it's become.

But yes, would be an awesome Dragon Age Origins-style RPG

Better to let Microsoft (via inXile and Obsidian) head up an RPG, I think. Though I still consider Dragon Age: Inquisition (despite its flaws) to be the last great work of Bioware. If Bioware could muster a Dune RPG at least as good as DA:I I would be more than satisfied.

I'd be down for an awesome Dune game, just doubtful the way Hollywood handles most movie/tv games. There's only a few that haved gained high ratings in the past.

An RTS is a given, but I could also see an RPG with story elements and character base similar to Kingdom Come. That is, you don't necessarily need to be Maud'dib/Usul/Paul/Kiswatch Haderach. You could choose to start as a lowly Freman, Atreides soldier, Bene Gesserit, loin-clothed Sting... your choice and get caught up in the story. Again, something like DA:O or even an isometric like Pillars of Eternity could be fantastic.

Hopefully one of the studios picking this up puts in the time/effort it deserves.

Edit: Actually, the character classes, abilities and bonuses are pretty prime for an MFPS e.g.

Atreides Soldier - Shield belt, blades, basinet
Harkonnen Soldier - Suspensor belt, flechette gun
Fremen - weirding speed, krys knife
Bene Gesserit - Voice, poison damage
Sardaukar - Lasgun, armor
Etc, etc...

Last edited:
Bump - anyone seen any good updates to the Dune gaming world? 😁

Bump - anyone seen any good updates to the Dune gaming world? 😁
Well....?there are some hella amazing boardgames for it? The original Avalon Hill 'Dune' from the 80s was reprinted recently-ish by Gale Force 9, who are doing a 'lite' version ?next year? specifically streamlining rules and using art/etc from the Villeneuve movie. I wouldn't be especially surprised to see a digital version of that - it's become a thing, lately.

gruntmods dune 2k works on 10/11 and is abandonware, in case anyone needs a dune fix...

Well....?there are some hella amazing boardgames for it? The original Avalon Hill 'Dune' from the 80s was reprinted recently-ish by Gale Force 9, who are doing a 'lite' version ?next year? specifically streamlining rules and using art/etc from the Villeneuve movie. I wouldn't be especially surprised to see a digital version of that - it's become a thing, lately.
My interest in board games scores so low on the totem pole that it's subterranean. This invigorated interest in board games is extremely odd to me. I'll check it out but I know even if I buy it I will never play it.

Im really hoping for a new RTS but I may go back and play Dune 2000 and Emporer.

My interest in board games scores so low on the totem pole that it's subterranean. This invigorated interest in board games is extremely odd to me. I'll check it out but I know even if I buy it I will never play it.

Im really hoping for a new RTS but I may go back and play Dune 2000 and Emporer.
*shrugs*

TBH, I don't really see the point of digital board games being AS popular as they are, beyond making it a ton easier to learn the rules for some of the more complex physical versions. Not sure I'd have ever gotten into Scythe if not for the (rather excellent) digital adaptation, for example. So there's that argument for the digital versions, anyway. Doesn't seem to explain why there are so many, though.

PHYSICAL board games, on the other hand? Heh - those easily beat computer games for me. Weekend day hanging out at a brewery or pub with a bunch of friends, ordering snacks and beers and conquering continents/planets/building economies/whatever all day? That's just good times!

Cash in video game for a movie the studio has so litte confidence in they didn't green light the sequels. Sounds like a winner to me.

there isnt one, thats why people are asking, and its two parts.
Last I looked WB hasn't confirmed they are doing part 2, which is as good as saying they are not (between exec changes looking to make a mark, whatever performance metric they have for 1, and scheduling difficulties to bring back cast that likely have other projects).

Director also had a concept for a third movie, which is likely why I though Trilogy.

Last I looked WB hasn't confirmed they are doing part 2, which is as good as saying they are not (between exec changes looking to make a mark, whatever performance metric they have for 1, and scheduling difficulties to bring back cast that likely have other projects).

Director also had a concept for a third movie, which is likely why I though Trilogy.
ah, i see.

"Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that." - Warner Media Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff

came out this am, so part 2 should be coming....

ah, i see.

"Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that." - Warner Media Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff

came out this am, so part 2 should be coming....
Just saw the movie mere minutes ago. I wondered to myself how the new movie would play out parts of the story.. and the answer is that it didn't.

Part of me feels like the original movie was not only truer to the book in a lot of ways (important dialog didn't change) but somehow also told more of the story even though the runtime encompassed the entire book instead of just half.

There are a few pivotal moments in the book that they breezed by. I feel like there will probably be a "directors cut" with like another hour of footage.

I wish they had made this feature length film a high budget series with like eight 2 hour episodes so you really get the full effect of what's going on.

Just saw the movie mere minutes ago. I wondered to myself how the new movie would play out parts of the story.. and the answer is that it didn't.

Part of me feels like the original movie was not only truer to the book in a lot of ways (important dialog didn't change) but somehow also told more of the story even though the runtime encompassed the entire book instead of just half.

There are a few pivotal moments in the book that they breezed by. I feel like there will probably be a "directors cut" with like another hour of footage.

I wish they had made this feature length film a high budget series with like eight 2 hour episodes so you really get the full effect of what's going on.
Someone should make Alejandro Jodorowsky's project a reality.

We have a copy of it, it's good. We've got the original, too, so I can speak from solid experience.

Back