Dumbest thing you've ever heard an IT-Poser say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully127

Limp Gawd
I was in Best Buy *shudder* (wasn't by choice) today and was killing time. Naturally, I start taking a look at the laptops they have on display just to see what's out there right now. I hear a salesmen trying to push a Vaio off on some poor, clueless woman. The highlight of their conversation: "Well, these Sony processors are a lot better than say Dell or HP processors. They have a longer lifespan and better overall performance."

I was so tempted to go and act as his next hapless victim and let him dig himself deeper, but I had to leave.

Does this really have to do with Networking and Security?

That shit used to bug me, but I've dealt with it so much I've grown "blah" to it. Maybe it's because I get it from the other end now ( managers and the like ). "I just read that AMD processors have better performance/watt ratio! WE MUST HAVE THEM" ( while that technically was true, the difference in our data center was minimal, AND it would be a major shift in suppliers which would cause far more work than it's worth ).

If I'm in a store like that anymore and I overhear something amazingly bad from a sales drone, I may jump in and offer advice, but I honestly don't feel like dealing with a customer any more than he does, so what's the point?

Yeah I am past that point anyways, if I heard him say it I wouldn't really give a shit, I have too many other things to care about with my time. If I were in the mood I might shout "WRONG!" while I walk past them but thats it.

Sorry that I put this in the wrong forum... not paying attention.

I see what you're saying... I mean, yeah... sure, he's some 20 year old kid making $12 an hour to deal with Harriett Housewife all day long, but still, that's just bad. You're just intentionally making up complete and utter nonsense to hawk a product that you're not getting a kickback from. It isn't like he was a sales rep from Sony making these outrageous claims. If you're working in that department, you have to have some knowledge (however basic) to help customers make their decisions.

I guess it is just a personal pet peeve, though.

The number one thing that pisses me off is when someone says 'the color code does not matter...as long as they are the same on both ends'
To someone who has spent several years doing cabling work and being professionally trained, that is a major insult. Standards and specifications exist for a reason. Follow them :D

The number one thing that pisses me off is when someone says 'the color code does not matter...as long as they are the same on both ends'
To someone who has spent several years doing cabling work and being professionally trained, that is a major insult. Standards and specifications exist for a reason. Follow them :D

not just for standards... the twisting is important (i assume you're talking about network cable)....

whoever says 'the color code does not matter' are not just disregarding the standards and specifications, but are wrong wrong WRONG...

i'm just the type of person that does things backwards if it doesn't make a difference (switching speaker wire + and - on all my speaker setups) just to be an a-hole, but i'd still never screw with the standard on putting a connector on a network cable... ow o gw b bw g brw br

not just for standards... the twisting is important (i assume you're talking about network cable)....

whoever says 'the color code does not matter' are not just disregarding the standards and specifications, but are wrong wrong WRONG...

i'm just the type of person that does things backwards if it doesn't make a difference (switching speaker wire + and - on all my speaker setups) just to be an a-hole, but i'd still never screw with the standard on putting a connector on a network cable... ow o gw b bw g brw br

Wouldn't that put the speakers out of phase???? or do you mean like using a red wire for negative on both ends or vice versa :confused:

Don't you guys know gold plated contacts equal faster transfers? Gold plated printer cables FTW baby!

I once worked with a guy who didn't know if the old HP computer had a CD burner or not... so, how does he check? He takes apart the computer and takes out the drive to look at the label and see if it's a burner or not.

Wayyyy better than to go to Device Manager :p

I once worked with a guy who didn't know if the old HP computer had a CD burner or not... so, how does he check? He takes apart the computer and takes out the drive to look at the label and see if it's a burner or not.

Wayyyy better than to go to Device Manager :p

Or look at the tray...

A couple years back when I was in DDP (Design and Drawing for Production).
We had to use and I still think they are using, P4 2.0's, 512mb ram, Nvidia Mx 440gfx.
for CAD! It's funny because AutoDesk would always crash, I told the teacher that they should
install nvidia drivers instead of using the generic microsoft ones, some kid next to him said
"Do you know how much it would cost to upgrade all the drivers #$%#$%#$?"

made me laugh...

I once knew a kid so dumb when I was in high school that I sold him on the fact that if he bought a red network cable and wrapped it around his PC it would run faster because it was... "firewire" :D

He actually came into the store where I worked and I nearly sold him the cable, but curses on me for being just a bit to caring for my fellow (dumbass) man.

Anyone interested in this really cool product I have that'll make your PC run way faster for just a few bucks? Order now and I'll double the order so you can get twice the increase in speed! ;)

I once knew a kid so dumb when I was in high school that I sold him on the fact that if he bought a red network cable and wrapped it around his PC it would run faster because it was... "firewire" :D

He actually came into the store where I worked and I nearly sold him the cable, but curses on me for being just a bit to caring for my fellow (dumbass) man.

Anyone interested in this really cool product I have that'll make your PC run way faster for just a few bucks? Order now and I'll double the order so you can get twice the increase in speed! ;)

Lol. This speaks highly on your, um, salesmanship haha.

I enjoying going into BestBuy, etc, and asking why a 10-foot crossover ethernet cable is 3x as expensive as a normal 10-foot ethernet cable.

I enjoying going into BestBuy, etc, and asking why a 10-foot crossover ethernet cable is 3x as expensive as a normal 10-foot ethernet cable.

This made me laugh.....

my personal favorite, yet hottly disputed, is people who try to tell me how they dont run any AV because of either it slowing down their PC or beause of false positives.

"You dont run AV?????:eek:"

well.... i don't run AV... but i would never recommend someone not to run one

its not always been like this... my safety is probably due to years and years of learning how to browse the web safely... not installing suspicious programs and not opening email attachments from anybody i don't know (and some i do, lol)

GoodCooper.

but why dont you run it. Im not saying you cant be on the net safely but do you see some personal benefit from it?

Price is not a answer as their are some decent free options out there and with todays machines they can handle some AV running in the back ground with out any real issues so i just dont get it.

I once noticed people saying AMD is still a better gaming platform than intel....

GoodCooper.

but why dont you run it. Im not saying you cant be on the net safely but do you see some personal benefit from it?

Price is not a answer as their are some decent free options out there and with todays machines they can handle some AV running in the back ground with out any real issues so i just dont get it.

its a good question... and definitely OT... the fact of the matter is... (and i know all about the free and pay-for options there are).... i don't need one... and i'm a very minimalistic-oriented user... if i don't need something installed on my machine.... i don't install it...

i have absolutely no problems with my personal XP machine, it runs very fast, and if i thought i had a virus, i'd probably would load up an AV... or go into safemode and run clam or something

the skinny of it is... i don't have any virii... so why do i need an AV?

(and you may say... but how do you know? and my answer is... if my computer performance is unaffected i really don't care.... and to those who think i may be selfish and spreading it to all of the other users on my network... none of them have any problems either... not to mention i monitor my network connections)

education is the best AV... but like i said earlier, i'd never tell any of my clients to run bareback :p

its a good question... and definitely OT... the fact of the matter is... (and i know all about the free and pay-for options there are).... i don't need one... and i'm a very minimalistic-oriented user... if i don't need something installed on my machine.... i don't install it...

i have absolutely no problems with my personal XP machine, it runs very fast, and if i thought i had a virus, i'd probably would load up an AV... or go into safemode and run clam or something

the skinny of it is... i don't have any virii... so why do i need an AV?

(and you may say... but how do you know? and my answer is... if my computer performance is unaffected i really don't care.... and to those who think i may be selfish and spreading it to all of the other users on my network... none of them have any problems either... not to mention i monitor my network connections)

education is the best AV... but like i said earlier, i'd never tell any of my clients to run bareback :p

yeah it was OT.. sorry. i can accept that answer. thanks for the feed back.

this is not from an IT-Poser but i still really got a kick out of it non the less.

When i was working at Office Depot about 5 years ago i had a customer come in and ask me to buy a copy of Windows HP because she wanted to upgrade her HP computer running 2000. I actually laughed out loud. I know people abuse the term LOL and are not really LOLing, but this was certainly a true case of the LOL's.

She actually argued with me at first when i tried to explain that she needed XP and that HP is nonexistant. "I dont have an XP computer, i have an HP. I have never even heard of the brand XP."

She came to terms finally after a little more explaining.

I work tech support at college and during freshman move in, this girl's father bought a 200gb backup drive and wanted to parition it into 9 partitions to have a partition for certain dates or something. We told him not to do it but he insisted so we told him to use Disk Utility. But no, he wanted to use his Super duper l33t partition tool. Well after 4 partitions, it failed to see the disk AND he still wouldn't listen to us.

yeah it was OT.. sorry. i can accept that answer. thanks for the feed back.

no probs... i do run NOD32 on my laptop though, which is plugged into foreign networks all the time, and i sometimes will run client data through it to scan for virii... i mean i'm not totally AV free, but i don't run it on my home XP computer or vista media center... pretty much all others are alt OS boxes

jay_oasis said:
I once noticed people saying AMD is still a better gaming platform than intel....

i still get this one today in ventrilo servers when scrimming... a guy will sit there and argue (a couple years ago i argued the opposite case)... i just quit trying to talk hardware with gamers in vent and on the game's chat... thier hardware problems are not mine

but the story about the windows HP thing just reminded me of a guy at Sprint DSL support... he asked what OS i was running, and it was at work, i told him windows 2003... we argued for probably 10 minutes about whether windows 2003 existed... he had me keep going into right click on my computer and hit properties... "are you sure it isn't Windows XP? or maybe 2000?" finally he just said "well i've never heard of Windows 2003" and this was back in beginning of 07.... i was like "well its been out for at least 4 years".... this was all because the modem died or something completely unrelated.... i think this was the same guy that was like "please reboot your computer" and usually i go ahead and do it just to humor them... and this time i was getting impatient... and i was on a 3way call with one of the WAN team guys from HQ, and i'm like "ok i'm done... its rebooted" and the guy copped an attidude and said "well that was fast" in a sarcastic tone... and i responded "yep, we have really fast computers here", and the WAN team guy who was just listening in starts rolling because he knows the reason i didn't want to reboot it is because there's so much crap on it and so little memory on the machine that it would have taken me 10 minutes just to reboot

just replace my modem, or run a tech out to the co please

i'm always nice to the call center people who are supposed to be helping me but have no clue themselves... i run into them more often than not... i've learned to blame thier employers and the people making them answer the phones... getting upset with them is fruitless and just gets two people in a bad mood

The worst IT posers attempt to make everything seem complicated to enhance their appearance of competence. It's pathetic because so many users are already baffled enough without that kind of crap. And there are plenty of genuine complications that we don't need knuckleheads screwing up the simple things.

I remember back in seventh grade I brought a floppy with my saved assignments to my "technology" period (it was some keyboarding/MS Office class that all students were required to take). Well, the instructor of the class noticed the floppy and, making sure I wasn't some delinquent trying to bring down the school network, asked me to step aside so she could perform a virus check on it. I complied, but as I peeked over her shoulder I saw that she made her way to the "virus scanner" by clicking Start >> Programs >> Accesories >> System Tools >> SCANDISK and perform a "virus scan" on it.

I smiled and didn't say anything to her after she finished scanning.

I remember back in seventh grade I brought a floppy with my saved assignments to my "technology" period (it was some keyboarding/MS Office class that all students were required to take). Well, the instructor of the class noticed the floppy and, making sure I wasn't some delinquent trying to bring down the school network, asked me to step aside so she could perform a virus check on it. I complied, but as I peeked over her shoulder I saw that she made her way to the "virus scanner" by clicking Start >> Programs >> Accesories >> System Tools >> SCANDISK and perform a "virus scan" on it.

I smiled and didn't say anything to her after she finished scanning.
"Well Mr. Bob, your C:\ floppy checks out alright!"
Perfect, my plan is working..... ;)

Dumbest thing I've ever heard? "Fixing a computer is an exact science, why is this taking so long?"

Almost anything said by the guy who has this email signature:

Code:
Sincerely,
Firstname, Lastname
MCSE, MCSE, MCP, MCDST, A+, A+++, niner, CCA, CCANE F1 Squared
<insert the biggest freaking logo from the company here>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back