Dumbest. Scalper. Ever

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is what you get for trying to scalp tickets to The Interview. And yes, the guy looks exactly like you are picturing him in your head. :D Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

"I saw all the hype about 'The Interview' on the 23rd and thought, 'hey, folks are selling these tickets in other cities and it seems like that's the thing to do right now so why not give it a shot so see how it goes,'" said Best, adding that he planned to use one ticket for himself.

HAHAHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHHAAAAHAA

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

The article says that the movie was streamed with Netflix. Am I missing something, I can't find it there..?

Bet he's a Libertarian, too. Always looking for a way to game the system.

This story warms my heart. I think what I love most about it is that the theater said it wasn't about the money and offered to donate 650.00 to charity but wouldn't refund the scalper lolz

The article says that the movie was streamed with Netflix. Am I missing something, I can't find it there..?

reporter probably heard 'streaming' and just associated it with Netflix

Is it just me or do most female news anchors have big boobs.

the only thing that would make this better is if the police could somehow arrest him for attempting to scalp the tickets.

LOL. I thought he might have had a leg to stand on with the refund policy thing, but the theater all but shot that out by offering to donate ALL the money to charity. Props to them :)

LOL. I thought he might have had a leg to stand on with the refund policy thing, but the theater all but shot that out by offering to donate ALL the money to charity. Props to them :)

This is the first time a movie theatre business has made me smile about its shens in a long time.

Asshole scalper got what he deserved

Bet he's a Libertarian, too. Always looking for a way to game the system.

Obvious troll is obvious. Those 2 things don't even have anything to do with each other and could easily be said about anyone from another political party. Why crap up a thread that has nothing to do with politics?

Scalpers to me fall somewhere between a cockroach and the white stuff that forms at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.

Obvious troll is obvious. Those 2 things don't even have anything to do with each other and could easily be said about anyone from another political party. Why crap up a thread that has nothing to do with politics?

Democrats > Republicans
Republican > Democrats
Democrats + Republicans != Others

????

:D

LMAO. He told the interviewer that he is disputing the charges with his credit card company. Good luck with that one. What's more is that he said the "credit card company thought he was in the right."

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Having worked in the credit card industry for 3 years now and handled multiple disputes, his chances are dubious at best. He will have to wait and see how things fall regarding that theater's refund policy. The only thing truthful he said was the credit card company has to wait until the charges are out of pending and have posted to his account. They usually do not (or are not supposed to) tell the customer "they are in the right" because there are still plenty of times they are not, this instance being a prime example.

People think credit card disputes and chargebacks are some cure-all for any transaction screwup. They aren't. Some banks and credit card companies are better about credit card disputes than others, especially AMEX. However, I think even AMEX would have a rough time with this one and this guy is in for a wake up call.

I admit, I scalp tickets every once in awhile for extra money (albeit, it's legal in my state). I personally feel a lot of people are more upset that they couldn't be the ones making the extra money rather than the fairness.

That said, this guy's a greedy idiot. You take a risk when scalping. You have to spend time figuring out what people will want, and to not go above your budget, and accept the fact that you could lose money. If you're looking for an opportunity to take risks and only get big benefits, then don't become a scalper, become an investment banker.

Scalpers are scumbags who all deserve to be busted, have the tickets confiscated and fined. All they're doing is hurting the poor and disorganized. They don't provide any service and leech off legitimate businesses. We're about 5 years away from all tickets having a name on them, just wait.

I admit, I scalp tickets every once in awhile for extra money (albeit, it's legal in my state). I personally feel a lot of people are more upset that they couldn't be the ones making the extra money rather than the fairness.

That said, this guy's a greedy idiot. You take a risk when scalping. You have to spend time figuring out what people will want, and to not go above your budget, and accept the fact that you could lose money. If you're looking for an opportunity to take risks and only get big benefits, then don't become a scalper, become an investment banker.

Just tell us your also a tele-marketer, so you can become the most hated man in the world. Scalpers interrupt supply, create demand, and then charge ludicrous money for a hard to get ticket that's only hard to get because scalpers purchased them all. Die in a fire.

Just tell us your also a tele-marketer, so you can become the most hated man in the world. Scalpers interrupt supply, create demand, and then charge ludicrous money for a hard to get ticket that's only hard to get because scalpers purchased them all. Die in a fire.

You're seriously oversimplifying things. If you want to hate me, that's fine. Since MLB has teamed up with StubHub, and many states have legalized ticket resales, prices have actually dropped significantly for the average customer. Many people have no clue to what they're doing and think it's an easy buck, and end up losing money. There's peoples romanticized version of how things work, and then there's reality.

Then, you get other posts where people claimed they got a limited edition PS4, and half the responses are about people jealous at how much they'll be able to ebay it for.

You're seriously oversimplifying things. If you want to hate me, that's fine. Since MLB has teamed up with StubHub, and many states have legalized ticket resales, prices have actually dropped significantly for the average customer. Many people have no clue to what they're doing and think it's an easy buck, and end up losing money. There's peoples romanticized version of how things work, and then there's reality.

Then, you get other posts where people claimed they got a limited edition PS4, and half the responses are about people jealous at how much they'll be able to ebay it for.

Ebay is for the uninformed and unaware these days. People who use Ebay to sell are ignorant.

ignorant
[ig-ner-uh nt]
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned:
an ignorant man.
lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact:
ignorant of quantum physics.
uninformed; unaware.
due to or showing lack of knowledge or training:
an ignorant statement.

Before watching the video clip, I was going to say "get a fucking real job"

Then I saw the video, and it looks like he fixes computers at geek squad for a living.

At $13 a ticket, how much profit was he hoping to make??

Hah.... so awesome.

Stereotypes exist for a reason -- and he just showed the world for all time how much of a greedy retard pedo looking asshat he is.

Seriously though -- who gets a bright idea like this... when you can BUY the freaking movie via google for much much less?

Says no refunds for special event

He states the movie theater never told him it was a special event

He paid a service charge so he didn't actually deal with the movie theater.

I wish this wasn't here in Cincinnati.

That said, this guy's a greedy idiot. You take a risk when scalping. You have to spend time figuring out what people will want, and to not go above your budget, and accept the fact that you could lose money.

That's what I don't understand about the whole thing. Why he would buy such a large amount when it clearly sounds like he's never resold tickets before? I mean wouldn't it be better to start with 10 tickets or so? I would imagine a $130 loss would be far easier to write off than $650 your first go out. Especially since it says he's in a position that he needs the full refund, presumably to keep living.

Since other unrelated things are being brought up, maybe it's all the Reds ticket scalpers that caused it! I mean you can't walk downtown in the middle of the day during the summer without hearing either "Need tickets?" or "Need tickets! You got any?" Based on that, he probably thought it'd be a good idea to do the same thing with movie tickets! :rolleyes:

Ebay is for the uninformed and unaware these days. People who use Ebay to sell are ignorant.

That depends a whole lot on what you are trying to sell.

Stuff that you have a hard time selling locally can usually sell a whole lot easier/quicker and for a lot more money on Ebay, even after all the fees.

You just have to know what you can sell locally for as good price and what you can't.

idiot, "wants in future a clear refund policy" noted, ya it was clear, you were someone trying to re-sell something you liklely weren't even allowed to re-sell.. and you got screwed...

That's what I don't understand about the whole thing. Why he would buy such a large amount when it clearly sounds like he's never resold tickets before? I mean wouldn't it be better to start with 10 tickets or so? I would imagine a $130 loss would be far easier to write off than $650 your first go out. Especially since it says he's in a position that he needs the full refund, presumably to keep living.

Since other unrelated things are being brought up, maybe it's all the Reds ticket scalpers that caused it! I mean you can't walk downtown in the middle of the day during the summer without hearing either "Need tickets?" or "Need tickets! You got any?" Based on that, he probably thought it'd be a good idea to do the same thing with movie tickets! :rolleyes:

Because like many people, he bought into the Hollywood version of what a scalper is and how they operate, and not how the real world works. It's no different than poker when the movie Rounders was released. That introduced a lot of amateurs into the poker world who really shouldn't have been there.

I've had friends and coworkers who've seen me pull a profit, and they think "Hey, I'm smarter than him. I can buy tickets and resell them for a profit." And almost every time they come back to me stating how they just lost a thousand dollars and wondering how I manage to turn a profit. But there's a ton of work involved if you want to make money. It's not just buying a ticket and listing it on craigslist or StubHub. Sure, you can do that, but you'll most likely not sell them, or lose money selling them. And this is where it's great for the customer.

Let's get a few things straight first. Ticket reselling is scalping. Places like StubHub don't like to use it because scalping has a negative connotation, yet a lot of people love StubHub when it's a matter of semantics. And for sporting events, the vast majority of scalpers are season ticket holders, not the guy flipping tickets outside the stadium. If you want to be a season ticket holder, you really do need to be a part time scalper. Any season ticket holder who says they don't scalp is either incredibly wealthy or a liar. And I'm not talking about those partial 4 game plan holders. They don't get playoff tickets. Part of the reason you go after season tickets is for the opportunity to get playoff tickets. How much effort you put in determines how much money you can make, or how much you'll lose to attend your team's games. And the majority of scalpers lose money.

Why? A lot more people are just amateurs who are way over there head. They buy these $10,000+ season ticket packages that they can't possibly afford. Teams love them. Have you ever been to a sold out game where 15% of the seats were empty? The teams have already sold their tickets, so it makes no difference to them. The stereotypical scalper outside loves them too. If you can't afford it, you're more likely to sell a ticket for anything than just eat the ticket. They have you at a severe disadvantage because they know any money is better than no money, so they can buy your ticket for next to nothing, and sell it, even below face value, and still turn a profit. And fans love it too because you have 20000 amateur scalpers all of whom are trying to undercut each other. So that $500 face value ticket sells for $1000 5 months before the event. And a couple days before the event, people are getting panicked just trying to get rid of their tickets, but now you have to compete with 1000 other people selling similar tickets as yours, all trying to undercut each other, because the customer will buy the lowest ticket price. These prices can fluctuate on an almost hourly basis, and finally tickets may be $100.

Then you have people who have no clue about what they're trying to resell. A ticket isn't just a ticket. Is it a playoff/championship game or a meaningless midweek game at the end of the season? I can't tell you how many people I've seen who purchase that expensive ticket package they can't afford thinking all tickets will turn a profit, so they go to that sought after game against their arch rival only to find that the games they were going to get rid of barely go for 1/10th the ticket price.

Also, those popular games, such as rivalries or playoff games? Many of those tickets don't disappear because of scalpers. They disappear because of ESPN, Fox, and other wealthy and powerful corporations (such as sponsors) who get first dibs before everyone.

And you've the mantra "location, location, location"? It really is about that. Those stories of someone pulling in 1000x profit typically fall into the coveted seats. Because at the end of the day, there are always a few snobby people who will only want the best of the best. But chances are as an individual, you can't afford those tickets to begin with. They can run over $100,000 for the season alone, and that's face value. And typically, you have to sign a multiyear contract to get those tickets. Oh, and they're often not available for the general public to purchase. Then, you have the nose bleeds. The cheapest seats will always sell. There's always somebody who can't afford to a single game and will just take anything. And while they typically won't make much money over the long run, they typically will make money, so those seats sell out really fast. But chances are they've already been sold out for years, and no team is going to put you on a waiting list for the nose bleeds while there are tons of other seats available.

So what do you do when the only available seats are not guaranteed sellers? You research. You find out which sections sell the most. You find out what group of tickets sell the most (single, pair, threes, four, etc.). That's where you buy your season tickets. And skip general admission. Only idiots buy general admission tickets to scalp them.

That's really where this guy went all wrong. Be bought the wrong type of tickets for the wrong event. Movies just have no track record of making a profit via ticket reselling. Second, he didn't know his audience. Yes, the internet is ablaze with people saying how awesome it is that a movie such as The Interview can be seen. But many of them probably have no intention of going opening night to watch it at a theater. They'll torrent it or they'll wait until it's out on Netflix or whatever.

A good rule to live by, is that unless you do this as a full time gig, don't scalp for any events you wouldn't go to. For sports, that means only buy tickets for the team(s) you root for. If you're a season ticket holder who can't afford your season tickets in the first place, just bite the bullet and scalp those coveted tickets. Why worry about a playoff game or a game against a rival when attending a championship game will be more meaningful? And certainly don't go beyond your budget. Going back to poker, many players don't go bust because they're bad poker players, but because they have bad bankroll management skills.

I don't get why people hate scalpers/resellers. You are free to purchase and sell goods as you wish in this country. If you want to go through the work, and take on the financial risk of attempting to resell, more power to you.

You could call any store a "scalper" as they sell items for more than they paid for. They even have special deals setup with the manufacturers to enable easy logistics.

But when the common person tried the same, they're evil?

Give me a break.

Because the reason you cant get a ticket to that show or gig you wanted to see, is probably because of a scalper.

anyway, i loved the end of that video:

The company stated they wouldn't give a refund but give it to charity instead.

the guy stated "No, that would be financially irresponsible" :D

He looks like what I imagine a few posters on this forum look like.

Not me though -- just so we are all on the same page, I'm not a creepy pedo scalper.

I was pretty drunk when I took that earlier tonight... I really need to go to bed.

I don't get why people hate scalpers/resellers. You are free to purchase and sell goods as you wish in this country. If you want to go through the work, and take on the financial risk of attempting to resell, more power to you.

You could call any store a "scalper" as they sell items for more than they paid for. They even have special deals setup with the manufacturers to enable easy logistics.

But when the common person tried the same, they're evil?

Give me a break.

False equivalence.

I thought scalping sort of went away when a bunch of Europeans started talking with those silly Texas accents to sound tough while they busy upsetting native tribes.

Back