Dumbest questions ever about duplicate display in windows10

Cirkustanz

Limp Gawd
Hello party people,

My PC is in my bedroom, and I run cables from it to the living room tv.

I spend a lot more time using the television in the living room than I do using the computer at the desk.

I recently upgraded from a 1080p tv to a 4k.

Prior to the tv upgrade, I used two monitors when using the desk, a 1440p, and a 1080p. My current graphics card is a 1080gtx.

I don't really have a reason for the second monitor any longer, probably going to give it away.

Prior to the upgrade, I used to set the 1080p monitor as my main windows display, and would just duplicate that to the 1080p television.

I'm thinking about upgrading the 1440p monitor to a 4k, but I do have some questions.

If I were to get a 4k pc monitor that also has hdr/hdr10 would hdr implementation be limited in any way by whichever display was the weakest? Are there any other quirks I should know? My tv is a sony x900h, and I'm aware that most gaming pc monitors use freesync/g-sync and my tv will supposedly support 4k/120 with VRR at some point in the future when the tv gets androidtv version 10.

Is it possible that those features would basically be disabled since between the tv and whatever prospective monitor I would be using are not the same systems?

Is there an easier way to address this? Since the desk is in a different room than my couch I would never have a reason to use both at the same time of course, I just grew tired of constantly switching the display settings around whenever I hopped between the two rooms.

Thanks!

In Windows, HDR can be set on a per-display basis, so it's fine to have some HDR and some non-HDR. Same with FreeSync/G-Sync.

With display duplication, it's better if both displays are the same resolution, but they don't have to be, I think Windows can handle the scaling, though I haven't tried this in a while.

Maybe have only one of either the TV or the 2 monitors enabled instead of mirroring them (that would get rid of all the possible issue related to different resolution) ?

With pre made profile a la : https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/ that are easy to switch.

You can set hotkey like say Ctrl-alt-F1 for when you want to have only the TV on and ctrl-alt-F2 for the 2 PC monitor, making it possible to make them without looking at your screen.

I can say that my own setup with a HDR monitor and TV that Windows had no issues displaying HDR on either one but I do not duplicate my displays just extend them. I can drag my VLC window from one to the other and it does HDR on either one though. Windows afaik doesn’t care which HDR spec your display supports as that is taken care of by the display. Did you plan on your new 4K monitor having the same aspect ratio as your TV? If so you should have 0 issues duplicating at 4K on both with HDR.

Maybe have only one of either the TV or the 2 monitors enabled instead of mirroring them (that would get rid of all the possible issue related to different resolution) ?

With pre made profile a la : https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/ that are easy to switch.

You can set hotkey like say Ctrl-alt-F1 for when you want to have only the TV on and ctrl-alt-F2 for the 2 PC monitor, making it possible to make them without looking at your screen.

Hmm, this seems like the way to go. I was looking into some other apps like ultramon and whatnot...but the cost seemed prohibitive.

Back