dumb question but can a netbook use an SSD drive?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
as the title says. I'm about to buy a Samsung netbook and I'm wondering if the hard drives in those little netbooks are the same hard drives that are in laptops?

some are, some aren't. You got to check the connection type, but most tend to be your typical 2.5 Sata. I've encountered a few that are 1.8" Zif, and one that was a 1.8" micro sata

You sure can ,if the form factor of the HDD is 2.5" you can use solid state drives. Although I think most netbooks have a HDD form factor of 1.8" using zif/CF as the HDD. You can try modding your netbook to use a sata to zif/cf adapter if you can somehow fit the 2.5" drive inside your netbook.

here is a thread on some thoughts on this topic

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=72958

I'm looking to buy this Samsung netbook due to its high battery life.

I have a spare SSD that I would like to use in the netbook if possible.

*EDIT*

I just checked their web site and it looks like I'm good. that'll be sweet using my Corsair SSD drive on the netbook.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
According to this page, it has a 2.5" 160 GB HDD, which is has a very strong chance of being easily replaced by a SSD with the same connector type.

How easy it is to get to the hard-drive bay is another question. It may range from 2 screws and a backplate to taking the entire thing apart, including motherboard.

any netbook that can use a 2.5 sata drive will run an ssd. though some may not be able to use them to their full potential

I'm looking to buy this Samsung netbook due to its high battery life.

I have a spare SSD that I would like to use in the netbook if possible.

*EDIT*

I just checked their web site and it looks like I'm good. that'll be sweet using my Corsair SSD drive on the netbook.

That is a great battery life

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
update. my Samsung netbook came today and so far I'm liking this little thing. I've got my Corsair SSD drive installed and I'm impressed with how zippy this thing is. my new, 2GBs of memory will be here in the morning so that should speed things up even more.

I'm thinking this could be replaced as my main computer. what do u guys think?

If you never do anything that a netbook can't do (some types of content creation mostly, and heavy gaming)...

neah, not really. 98% of my computing needs are mainly net surfing and email.

I don't see how netbooks could come with SSD from the factory considering how inexpensive netbooks are when compared to how expensive SSD still cost.

There are both inexpensive/crappy and expensive/quality SSDs out there.

The expensive ones you see for sale are usually 64/128/256 GB in capacity with 200 MB+ read/write speeds.

The inexpensive SSDs that come in the cheapest netbooks are usually 2-8 GB and have very low read/write speeds, sometimes worse than HDDs.

Back