Dumb NVidia 295 question(s)

jpinard

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone. I've had the 295 for quie a while now, and figured it's about time I figure out the proper settings for it. Primarily because ARMA II is running kind of slow on my computer.

My primary question is one of the multi-GPU setup. Technically, is the 295 two board's SLI'ed together in one package? If so, am I supposed to run the board in "multi-GPU configuration"? Am I ever supposed to select SLI for some games?

Thanks for the help! :)

My primary question is one of the multi-GPU setup. Technically, is the 295 two board's SLI'ed together in one package? If so, am I supposed to run the board in "multi-GPU configuration"? Am I ever supposed to select SLI for some games?

Yes, yes, no (it's automatic -- SLI either works or doesn't depending on the profiled support).

For your first question the initial dual-PCB 295s are quite literally two boards in a package. Newer 295s are two GPUs on a single PCB.

For your first question the initial dual-PCB 295s are quite literally two boards in a package. Newer 295s are two GPUs on a single PCB.

How do I find out which I have (or does it even matter?)

Often I'm adjusting the profile for performance or using the global profile. If SLI works would it be faster than non-SLI'd (I guess it would only matter for AF and FSAA which I usualy do have cranked up)?

Arma II also really likes high end CPUs and all GTX 295s are SLI no matter if they're 2 boards together or 2 GPUs on 1 board

Arma II also really likes high end CPUs and all GTX 295s are SLI no matter if they're 2 boards together or 2 GPUs on 1 board

So a Core-2 Duo is going to be crap compared to an i7 Quad at the same clock speed?

ArmaA2-CPUs-1280.png

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

also, your core 2 duo might not be fast enough to fully feed your GTX 295

Last edited:
try overclocking your processor if its not already and see if the performance gets better.. but yeah you want multi-gpu selected in your drivers..

as far as the question earlier you asked about how to tell which gtx 295 you have is just by looking at it.. the dual PCB has the heatsink between the cards and the single PCB has the heatsink sitting on the card like any other standard single gpu card.. just go google up some pictures you will find exactly what you want if you can figure it out when your looking at it yourself.. but seeing as you have had the card for a while its probably the dual PCB card since the single PCB's only came out about 4 or 5 months ago i believe..

Back