Dumb Client, XP Home Ed Warez

Deezus

Gawd
Before you kill this, this is not about helping me fix a Warez copy of XP..

A client of mine brought in his Sons PC with a plethora of problems. You don't even want to know about those. Upon talking to his dad about a few problems I couldn't fix, I asked when they installed XP Home Edition. He informed me the copy his son installed wasen't legit. I told him to stop right there and started laughing. I remember reading some place that MS got wise to the warex versions and instituded some sort of block or what have you on the patching process if a warez machine DLed SP-1... Well, this machine indeed has SP-1 on it, so I ASSUME some problems are caused from this. I told his dad to purchase a copy of XP home edition and if I can't fix it with a new serial number, then at least I'll have a good version to install after a format.

I guess the question I have is, what does SP-1 update do to warez copies in terms of problems? The one have is not being able to get online and as far as I see, everything is working right.

And if your curious, some of the problems I had to fix where 35 bugs found, 42 start up proggies which included some like 5 search helping tool bars and 3 P2P progs, and other spyware things that would render the PC useless when you reached the desktop.. Desktop picture that is, I couldn't get it far enough to see Icons, not even in safe mode. :rolleyes: Those are fixed BTW.

Thanks for the help,

-Deez-

This sounds more like an ID 10-T error than a warez copy of xp.

SP-1 won't install, normally, if it detects a bad key. And if it does install, it will want to reactivate on reboot, and won't let you do anything else.

However, the root of the problem is the same: The user. You can do back flips and setup this computer to be fool proof, but guaranteed you will get a call back in a week, month on the outside.

To fix this, I recommend a very large clue-bat. Use repeatedly. If a clue bat can not be found, a regular one will work.

I guess the question I have is, what does SP-1 update do to warez copies in terms of problems?

Actually SP1 just will not install on a system that is identified as a warz copy. So if that was the case it would do absolutely nothing to the install. Sounds like perhaps a virus running.

I am agreeing on your words here. I have been googling the hell out of this and seeing the same reports.

Clue bat.. God I wish, this is the Boss's kid we're talking about and this is only a part of our " what the hell did my kid do to this computer now" relationship. Thank god Jr is in the army now with a new daddy supplied Alienware laptop.. Kid is 21 now and still spoiled rotten... anyway.

To fix the virus problem I removed the hard drive to scan it on a safe machine. I suppose this wont fix any memory resident bugs?
( just thought about that ). And since It can't get online, I can't update the new version on Norton I installed, or do an online scan.

Now about that ID 10-T error. I am unfamiliar with that. As far as I can see, the netcard is functioning fine and says its in working order, but I can't renew the IP or "repair" it.

I am open for suggestions if someone is willing to help save me from a format... Which probly wouldn't hurt anyway.. But I am ready to be done with this POS, I'm sure you know the feeling.

Thanks again,

-Deez-

edit... IDIOT error, eh? Get many people with that one? ;) lol
Now, who are you refering to?

Originally posted by Deezus
edit... IDIOT error, eh? Get many people with that one? ;) lol
Now, who are you refering to?
I get people quite often with that, and I just let them think it's a computer error. Fortunately, where I work, I can get away with this, because if someone final figures it out, they won't be overly offended, or if they are, they know it's payback.

And I was referring to your boss's son. That computer is a mess, and he is directly responsible for it.

Well, considering this is not a legit copy of Windows, as far as the forum rules go, I think it's automatically 'broken'.

If the guy's buying his kid AW laptops, he can buy a copy of XP to get the machine working. Besides, a fresh install is probably the best thing to do if the machine's hosed like this.

No, I agree. He is purchasing a copy today. I know you can chage the serial numbers to make it legit with a real copy. I was just trying to save some time if there were more things to try.

-Deez-

Originally posted by XOR != OR
This sounds more like an ID 10-T error than a warez copy of xp.

SP-1 won't install, normally, if it detects a bad key. And if it does install, it will want to reactivate on reboot, and won't let you do anything else.

However, the root of the problem is the same: The user. You can do back flips and setup this computer to be fool proof, but guaranteed you will get a call back in a week, month on the outside.

To fix this, I recommend a very large clue-bat. Use repeatedly. If a clue bat can not be found, a regular one will work.

i concurr.

Well, I will end this on an odd note.
This is/was a warez copy of XP home and it did have SP-1a on it.

I've read of work arounds to get SP-1a on a warez copy, but I think it's above Jr's head.. Anyway, a-formating we will go!

-Deez-

You can get and install SP1 on XP even if it is warez'd. If you installed previously with a different key then there is a program called jellybean something that will allow you to change the product key for your copy. Then you can instal SP1. MS had a certain number of keys that the SP1 installer was set to recognize and then either not install or install and force the user to activate. But since then new keys have come out and people just switch to one of the new keys that MS didn't have the SP1 installer set to recognize.

Depending on how smart the kid was he could of put SP1 on a previously installed XP machine.

That said, you can just change his key to whatever the one he purchases so it WILL be legit and you wont have to format. But by the sounds of things it seems like a format is in order.

Back