Duke Nukem Forever’s 2001 build appears online, may fully leak in June

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Broussard made clear that he isn't invested in closely checking the latest leak's authenticity and pointed to an uneasy relationship with the game this many years later. "I’m not really interested in talking about it or retreading a painful past," he said. But while the build may have paled in comparison to other megaton shooters being promoted in 2001, including that year's Halo, this week's newly revealed sequence shows some of its content aging decently, particularly its implementation of sprite- and particle-based explosions and real-time lighting effects.

With the released game now past the 11-year mark, it's arguable that any leaked files fall under the category of historical curiosity about the making of gaming's best-known vaporware—though if a leak includes classic games still actively re-released by their platform holders, the ethics may be iffier. Either way, count us among the curious to see exactly where this 2001 build lands in terms of both playability and completed action sequences—and how the community might respond to any source-code leak. Could an enterprising fan finish what 3D Realms started (or, at least, do so differently than Gearbox Software did)?"

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022...-build-appears-online-may-fully-leak-in-june/

Looks like some drama brewing between Scott Miller and George Broussard.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/georgebsocial/status/1524122762679304194
1652276621583.png

wow gearbox did the whole game in a year or 2? No wonder it wasn't that great.

It wasn't any secret. They basically handed it over to them and told them they have a year to finish it.
Everything was public information covered iin the news and anyone that was paying attention knew what to expect when the game came out.
It wasn't even sold as a full priced game and it was heavily discounted right after it came out. I got it for $10 or $15 shortly after launch.

It actually exceeded my (very low) expecations for how rushed it was. I could tell a lot of things were rushed and there were some cool ideas that had a lot of potential, but I just enjoyed it for what it was.

May have to give this a spin again. Played it thru right after release and was mildly entertained. Hopefully this game is like a fine wine, but I doubt it.

Reactions: erek
like this
Just really makes me want to find a way to install Duke 3d again.
If you own the Steam version it works automatically with Raze, a gzdoom fork. And there's an enhanced resource pack for it on moddb.com which upscales everything. You just drag and drop that file onto raze. It's excellent and doesn't try to change the original look of the game. Raze also works great for Blood (and its Steam version) and the other Build Engine games. It's the best way I've found to play, better than EDuke32 (that has some decent features also but changes the original game a bit too much for my liking).

Honestly, I think DNF '10 is better than this leak (even if its parts were strung together), but it's great the community has it. I'm sure someone will try to make something out of it that will make it better than just the sum of its parts. And it probably provides the og devs and Duke community a bit of closure after all the 3D Realms drama.

Well, the leak is somewhat impressive given the timeframe. Had they released a full product in 2001 it would have likely done well since it would have had some impressive graphics and a decent singleplayer campaign that was entirely missing from UT/Q3 at the time.

Really, if you think about it, Half Life filled the gap of that generation, which was why it was so successful. DNF, was really aiming to be a HL type game, but HL beat them to the punch.

If you own the Steam version it works automatically with Raze, a gzdoom fork. And there's an enhanced resource pack for it on moddb.com which upscales everything. You just drag and drop that file onto raze. It's excellent and doesn't try to change the original look of the game. Raze also works great for Blood (and its Steam version) and the other Build Engine games. It's the best way I've found to play, better than EDuke32 (that has some decent features also but changes the original game a bit too much for my liking).
I own the original CD, and no CD readers anymore. :)

Awesome. Best of luck getting it to run. I found the PS1 games locally not too long ago and picked them up because they were in perfect condition, cases and all. Be something else to have the original PC game though. I love DN3D and Blood and all those classic shooters. You might actually need to setup a retro PC or something to run many of those old game CDs and/or floppies now haha.

Reactions: erek
like this
Buy an external CD/DVD drive for $20.
I played through the 20th Anniversary Edition relatively recently, which I got on Steam for a few bucks. Well worth a play through if you want to go down memory lane.
The Megaton Edition was superior. Sadly, Randy removed that version from sale when the 20th Anniversary Edition came out. I consider original Duke3D abandonware with how greasy Randy is, so I wouldn't feel bad about possibly perhaps acquiring a copy that way.

Buy an external CD/DVD drive for $20.

The Megaton Edition was superior. Sadly, Randy removed that version from sale when the 20th Anniversary Edition came out. I consider original Duke3D abandonware with how greasy Randy is, so I wouldn't feel bad about possibly perhaps acquiring a copy that way.
You're right - the Megaton Edition is quite a bit better. I'm happy to have it on my Steam account, particularly because it has campaign coop that is a blast over LAN.

Rumor has it that you can still get it here.

There was a point in my life when this would have been earth shattering, and not too long ago either.

Duke 3D is a fun shooter. I've just learned over the years that what I wanted was more systems based simulation and less whatever Duke Nukem actually is.

I played through the 20th Anniversary Edition relatively recently, which I got on Steam for a few bucks. Well worth a play through if you want to go down memory lane.

yep this is the old version on stream

Back