Duke Nukem Forever Gone Gold

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that thought this day would never come, Duke Nukem Forever gone gold. Also, we talked our friends at Gearbox into hooking us up with some autographed copies of the game to hand out to you guys once it ships. The game will be out on June 14th and the demo will be out June 3rd.

"Duke Nukem Forever is the game that was once thought to be unshipppable, and yet here we are, on the precipice of history,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Today marks an amazing day in the annals of gaming lore, the day where the legend of Duke Nukem Forever is finally complete and it takes that final step towards becoming a reality.”

After all those years...

Curious if they will include any copies of all the previous work done on the project. I'd like to see how many different versions/engines they went through to get here.

I hope it lives up to the hype...big shoes to fill...Big shoes.

My interest unfortunately after 12+ years is down to "If I win it, I will play it", I just don't see me forking out money for it at this point of my life though.

I forked out money for the balls of steel edition.
I pretty sure at this point the game could be crap but everyone will still love it because its Duke. Although i really hope the game is as good as it seems in all the trailers

I can't remember the last time I actually heard/read the phrase: "Gone Gold." It was real big in the 90's early 2000s, but it just sounds 'antiquated' now.

I can't say that I am real excited about this. I did not really get into the original Duke Nukems. I know a lot of people are excited about this. I think a lot of excitement is a result of a nostalgic effect from playing the originals. I absolutely understand that but I will not have that effect. I will check out the demo, maybe that will get me on board.

Until I see it on a shelf it's vapor.

Correction. Until I have installed it and loaded into the game, it's vapor.

I could get home, run the installer, and then find that I've loaded into a "My Little Pwny: The MMO!"

At which point, most of the southwestern Chicagoland area would go up in a ball of nuclear fire.

"Duke Nukem Forever is the game that was once thought to be unshipppable
That's one word for it, I would have gone with non existent.

"And yet here we are, on the precipice of history”
Depends on the reviews and purchasers opinions, but yeah either way, history in the making.
“Today marks an amazing day in the annals of gaming lore, the day where the legend of Duke Nukem Forever is finally complete and it takes that final step towards becoming a reality.”
Yeah, it's only taken fifteen years, four game engines, and three companies to fold, certainly historic for all the wrong reasons so far, I hope it does well and it was worth all the trouble though.

I've been waiting for this one for like Forever, I never thought I'd see this day, Problem is I have to save up for something important for a few months and It's super important, So I'll have to pass as My income is just too limited.

Sweet Jesus! The world did end. This is just a dream, the media was right about rapture day.

I can't remember the last time I actually heard/read the phrase: "Gone Gold." It was real big in the 90's early 2000s, but it just sounds 'antiquated' now.

Without me pulling my antiques out of the closet. Is this the game I played off of a 1.44 floppy when it first came out, that I still have if it is.

The demo is coming for first access members a week before the June 10th launch date. Can't wait. :D

The following things have been accomplished since Duke Nukem Forever was announced on April 28th, 1997.

The two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity were proposed, authorized, announced, designed, launched and successfully landed upon Mars where they have been exploring the surface for years.

The International Space Station was assembled and has been orbiting Earth for over 10 years.

Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development:

* The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.
* Led Zeppelin released 7 albums, 9 singles, and toured around the world, crossing international borders 27 times (not counting mainland Europe.)
* The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.
* The theory of General Relativity.
* The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.
* The complete construction of many monumental buildings and engineering projects. To name a few-
o The Empire State Building (Jan 1930 - May 1931)
o The Channel Tunnel (Dec 1987 - May 1994)
o The Golden Gate Bridge (Jan 1933 - May 1937)
o The World Trade Center (Aug 1966 - April 1973)
World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.

Why would it be antiquated? It's the term used when a game has finished development and is off to get ready for retail. It's used all the time, you just have to actually pay attention to game news.

Back