Duke Nukem Forever (2001)

Armenius

Fully [H]
Somebody was able to get their hands on the game that was showcased at E3 in 2001 and leaked it on Internet Archive. That early version of the game is highly sought after by the community, and is often wished that Gearbox would just released the damned thing for gamers to consume. Well, now we have our chance. Being a leaked unofficial release of a 20-year old build, expect to run into a lot of issues. Civvie has said he will be making a video on it. The build runs on a heavily modified Unreal Engine (1).

The forum is embedding the video on the archive link, so here it is in a code block:

Code:
https://archive.org/details/1652058670472

https://nitter.domain.glass/Civvie11/status/1524056269274898432

EDIT: Actionsack was removed from the Nitter instances. Updating link.

Last edited:

sharknice

2[H]4U
I'm too lazy to actually download and play it myself, but I'll definitely be watching or at least half paying attention to youtube videos that show off what they had done at that time and comparing it to the 2011 version.

socK

Supreme [H]ardness
Is this actually even a playable game or is it like 3 broken as hell levels of barely working game

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
Looks like the SOF 2 Double Helix Engine graphics wise. Not bad, but characters look uninspired.

Armenius

Fully [H]
where do you download it?
Copy the link in the code block, then look on the right side of the screen. You want to click on the RAR link in the DOWNLOAD OPTIONS section. You can also click on SHOW ALL to download the additional files (screenshots, cpp file, videos).

1652275554770.png

Armenius

Fully [H]
Is this actually even a playable game or is it like 3 broken as hell levels of barely working game
It's not even an alpha. It's just a collection of levels to test gameplay features. What is there is interesting to see, at least. It plays surprisingly well on a modern PC. It will be interesting to see if the community takes the shell of what we got to make it into a complete game.

Delicieuxz

[H]ard|Gawd
I think getting the source code for this is pretty cool and has historical value, since it runs on a modified / upgraded version of UE1 and Epic hasn't released Unreal / UE1's source. I wonder if it holds any prospects for people wanting to modify other UE1 games.

sharknice

2[H]4U
Thanks, a video like that is exactly what I was waiting for.

Too bad they didn't get their act together and put out a game. A lot of the stuff was really cool for 2001. If you want a game to gauge this against, Halo: Combat Evolved came out on Xbox in 2001.