Duke Nukem 3D Updated?!?!?

Version 1.0.4
• Linux support
• User maps available from menu
• Added 3 new achievements
• Widescreen compatible weapon sprites
• Duke Nukem 3D SC-55 Music Pack (V4.0) included
• More game options in menu (separate sound/music sliders, y-axis lock, etc)
• More keybindings (3rd person view, map follow mode, etc)
• Higher resolution intro videos
• Many bug fixes & improvements

sweet still one of the best fps games ever right behind the original unreal

Really? REALLY? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, it's just that after the first 3-4 levels I couldn't help but think "Ok, yeah, let's leave the past in the past. We've gotten a LOT better at making video games in the past 20 years." I just think there's an overwhelmingly powerful nostalgia factor at play here.

DN3Dbeta.jpg

In case any of you Duke fans care...

http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d/downloads/duke-nukem-3d-forever-v10-beta

Really? REALLY? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, it's just that after the first 3-4 levels I couldn't help but think "Ok, yeah, let's leave the past in the past. We've gotten a LOT better at making video games in the past 20 years." I just think there's an overwhelmingly powerful nostalgia factor at play here.

Nope, Duke 3D is still fucking awesome. The game was like a parody of every action hero and sci-fi genre movie to exist. It was such a fun experience that I still remember every detail today. Not many games I could say that about.

Nope, Duke 3D is still fucking awesome. The game was like a parody of every action hero and sci-fi genre movie to exist. It was such a fun experience that I still remember every detail today. Not many games I could say that about.

I just liked it because it was stupid.

And fun.

Why did they have to change the weapon sprites to make it widescreen compatible? Does that mean if you play the game on in widescreen mode that some of the sprites will be distorted but not others? I think oldschool gamers just need to deal with the fact that older games are meant to be played at a 4:3 aspect ratio. Just like Dragonball Z is. :)

I loved the game, but there's a fine line between parody and rip-off and it's questionable which side it's on.

What do you mean? The game was a homage to all the classics, there were plenty of quotes taken straight from other movies and different scenes that were obviously done for that reason.

Nothing like the 1 vs 1 dial up modem days on this game. I'm guessing someone in here bought it off steam. I did a quick read through the page. Looks like it is just single player now though. Would have been nice to allow someone to make server and have a group of people playing to bring back old memories.

We've gotten a LOT better at making video games in the past 20 years.
The technology's gotten better, but I'm not convinced we've collectively gotten better at making them. We've just gained the ability to be in closer alignment to movies for the most part.

It's not better, necessarily, just different.

When they released the Megaton edition on Steam, they mentioned that MP was in the works. Is this no longer the case?

Are there any modded versions that support Duke over IP (or even those that require a third party app to do so?). It would be great to get a Dukematch going again at one of the LANs, it's been forever since I've played and it's a classic!

Also, Duke on the 64 was awesome. Plasma cannons, Dum-dum rounds for the pistol, and my personal favorite - explosive shotgun shells. I miss those days...

Nothing like the 1 vs 1 dial up modem days on this game. I'm guessing someone in here bought it off steam. I did a quick read through the page. Looks like it is just single player now though. Would have been nice to allow someone to make server and have a group of people playing to bring back old memories.

It's in the current weekly humble bundle

@rcf1987

not to get off of the Duke Nukem topic , but you are right , the original Unreal is tight...I still have it playable on a dual PIII 1ghz Abit with 3Dfx 5500 and Sony Trinitron 21"

Last edited:

My buddy and I used to play it on dial up. We'd play at night until 2 or 3 am. Those were fun days with ole Duke.

Back