Duke Nuke Em Demo

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anybody tried it?

How is it?

I can see it in my down loadable content for my Borderlands game of the year edition but I don't know how to install it. :(

Anyone know how to get it to work?

Has anybody tried it?

How is it?

I can see it in my down loadable content for my Borderlands game of the year edition but I don't know how to install it. :(

Anyone know how to get it to work?

Right click on Borderlands in Steam and click on View game CD Key, if you don't have it install just started to install and you can view it. Then go here to sign up and redeem your key:
http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access/entry/
I'm downloading now, half way done, will try it out in minutes :D

I just played it, it looks like it will be fun. Kind of disappointing the graphics look so dated but that was to be expected. Maybe it's just me but one thing that kind of bothered me was how it felt to shoot the monsters like there wasn't much to it, you just shot them and they'd just fall dead like a ragdoll like not real weight to them kind of like shooting at paper.

I got the email last night as I was in bed - arrg.

Well I'll have something to do tonight.

Feel like another generic shooter, I ain't impressed. Good thing is looks like it supports multi monitors even though FOV might need to be adjusted. Guess this is the only fun part of the game.

Last edited:
so no, it isn't a high end new game as far as the graphics are concerned but from the demo, it is a fun shooter that doesn't take itself too seriously as expected.

However this is not a buy for me at 60, 50 or even 30 dollars.

I will wait until it's 20 before I buy it, but I am looking forward to playing it.

I do like that it supported my native resolution of 2560x1440 without me even touching any settings, hell a lot of games that are brand new don't even do this.

I'm gonna call it: uninspired gameplay and crappy level design watered down by consolisation. If this didn't feature Duke Nukem, it would be smashed to pieces.

Nostalgia is this game's only draw.

I felt legitimately terrible when I posted that. I was really pulling for Duke here, especially with so many members here looking forward to DNF so much :(.

Wait, people needed to try the demo to know that the game is based on gameplay mechanics dating back to duke 3D?

I felt legitimately terrible when I posted that. I was really pulling for Duke here, especially with so many members here looking forward to DNF so much :(.

I race XC mountain bikes and worse than placing last is having a DNF by your name, which is Did Not Finish...

My prediction is that this steamy pile o' @#%^& should have left Duke with a DNF by his name... I mean really, why bother at this point, he's only 15 years late.

Serious Sam is a much better character and IP and at this point has more originality going for it than Duke.

I remember when Duke was a sidescrolling platformer by Apogee, those were the days...

Wait, people needed to try the demo to know that the game is based on gameplay mechanics dating back to duke 3D?
The problem is that there isn't enough Duke 3D in it. I've heard other people say it plays like a Duke Halo mod, and I can see it.

The problem is that there isn't enough Duke 3D in it. I've heard other people say it plays like a Duke Halo mod, and I can see it.

I think anyone expecting something that plays exactly like or very similar to Duke3D were only fooling themselves for the past decade.

I enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to trivialize because it didn't meet expectations.

I'm gonna call it: uninspired gameplay and crappy level design watered down by consolisation. If this didn't feature Duke Nukem, it would be smashed to pieces.

Nostalgia is this game's only draw.

Back to this post of yours for a second: It probably won't make much difference in the final game but how much level design did you think we'd really get to see in a demo? ;)

Like you said in the other thread, though, and it's true: "If you like Duke you'll like this."

I think that's pretty straight forward and honest. It's not earth shattering. It doesn't break any new ground AT ALL but I think it delivers the bread and the butter.

I think anyone expecting something that plays exactly like or very similar to Duke3D were only fooling themselves for the past decade.

I enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to trivialize because it didn't meet expectations.

Right.

Some of the complaints I'm seeing around here really make me wonder what some people expected.

This wasn't going to be Crysis bleeding edge graphics meets cutting edge awesome gameplay, either.

So... I ordered DNF through gamestop, and chose in store pickup because I don't care for games that I don't have the CD/DVD to...

am I disqualified from getting the beta, even though I pre-ordered? I haven't gotten any sort of email...

I wasn't expecting them to do that, but I think it would have been the best direction they could go. There is a dearth of those types of games right now and combined with the curiosity around such a long-in-development game, I think they would have satisfied a lot of people going that route.

I did enjoy the demo except that mouse movement felt horrible. I remember everyone complaining about Bioshock when it came out over that, but I think this is much worse.

The demo was OK, but didn't inspire me to buy the full version. I might buy it when it hits $10 on Steam eventually.

Demo was a bit disappointing as it's the same as the one that was demoed last year, so I'd already seen videos and read previews of it all.

Graphics are unimpressive and rather inconsistent in terms of quality, but I already knew what to expect. They do the job. I think it's a pity that a lot of people won't see past the graphics.

The depth of field effect is used really badly, it's terrible.

Controls and movement don't feel right, and the FOV is too narrow. 2 weapons at a time sucks.

Gameplay was pretty fun, I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of the content of the full game.

Still looking forward to playing the full game.

Good Lord, what are you guys expecting? It's not going to help you pay off your house, put you through college, and suck you off all at the same time. It's just a comical FPS, just like the old Duke Nukem games used to be.

Guess I'm not in the cool kids club, because I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
People that take Duke Nukem seriously = Vote for Conservatives and probably touch children :D

I had fun, will have fun, and don't care. Pre-ordered. HAIL TO THE KING BABY

I thought it was gonna be 1999 gameplay with 2011 graphics, but it's more like 1999 gameplay with 2004 graphics... and very laggy and ridiculously aliased on xbox (you don't expect 8x AA on 360 but this game is really bad).
The variety of guns is cool though the handling isn't that great, the best part of it was definitely the Duke humor.

That does stink about the 2 weapon only limit. I miss the day of old-school FPS like Doom and Hexen where you could have 6+ weapons at the same time, basically select from 0-9 on your keyboard. I guess they had to do it for realism, where would Duke fit all those guns? :(

looking at the demo, video poker is going to be in the full game.

so playing video poker with your friends?

ok. JUST ok.

After waiting 13 years for this it looks like i will be waiting a bit more for it to hit the steam deals page.

not worth the $44 (steam price right now) IMHO.

Sorry Duke, it pains me to say it.

it was watered down for consoles. HATE the fact that you can only have 2 guns at a time....come one, this is DUKE!!

It was a let down for me cause regenerating health just makes games way way too easy.

I wouldnt be surprise if they decided in the near future to unlock to have more than 2+ if enough people to whine. Lol I don't really care and I'm just gonna enjoy the game.

As much indifference as I felt toward the demo, I'm thinking the full version might be fun to play through once.

It managed to capture a bit of my heart in the small things. Having the marine tell me my drawing of a stick figure with a huge dick and guns shooting the alien was "a good plan," brilliant! Skipping turds down the hallway with Duke saying how wrong this was and questioning what he was doing. Genius!

Still, I wish they would have played up the nostalgia a bit by letting you hold 9-10 weapons at once (never understood where they were kept) and maybe even have health packs. Of course Duke would have to comment on these things, but a more "realistic" approach for Duke Nukem just doesn't make sense.

The game isn't ground breaking based on what I've seen in the demo. The old fashioned Duke Nukem humor is there and I got more than a couple of laughs out of it. The graphics are really horrid in some spots and almost nice in others. Character models are fairly solid for example. Level design could use some work. Hopefully this game does well enough that Gearbox will follow it up with a proper sequel. One that 3D Realms had really envisioned, but couldn't deliver for whatever reason.

After about 15 attempts at entering the CD Key from my steam borderlands game of the year edition I finally got into the access site and am now downloading the demo from STEAM!!! :cool:

LOL at some of these comments. You're seriously going to wait for this to hit the bargain bin after waiting more then a decade to save what $30

LOL at some of these comments. You're seriously going to wait for this to hit the bargain bin after waiting more then a decade to save what $30
Why not? It's a bargain bin game IMO and I would do the same to any other title I felt the same way about. I question how finished the game was when Gearbox got it. The last 2 years of "polishing" didn't seem to help much.

Back