Duh moment with new build / sound card...

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Building new system, EVGA Z68FTW, i7 2600, Kingston HyperX 120 (main), and 240 (games) with using previous EVGA 570....

Just noticed something..... wtf do I do with my previous sound card (CL Elite Pro -> Audio GD Compass via SPDIF). I can't use the single PCI-E x1 due to existing motherboard cooling. The only connectivity options I have on my DAC are SPDIF, Optical, or USB. I'd prefer to have a sound card purely for gaming reasons. Headphones are Denon ADH-7000, and I'm pretty sure on-board does not have anything close to the power need to drive these cans, much less anything close to decent sound.

Link to motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188099

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am without sound currently.

You do know that that a PCI-E x1 card will fit and work in a PCI-Ex16 slot right?

They are all PCI 2.0/.1. I've decided to run them out via usb to DAC (AudioGD Compass) -> cans (Denon ADH-7000). They sound really good with .ape/.flac. I'm not expecting as much when I try to game here later on. Will aLchemy do the decoding via CPU instead of a dedicated sound card be an asset? This is the primary reason for wanting a dedicated sound card for procession then ported out to DAC/Amp.

Sorry Danny, not my first build, but it has been about 1.5 years..
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Mostly Gaming, Listening to audio (mostly .flac/.ape, some .mp3), General Web crap / research for school.

2) What's your budget? I can spend up to approx $200. Looking more at high end Asus / HT Series.

3) Which country do you live in?
Bridgman, Mi. About 1.5 hours east of Chicago

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Looking at either ASUS Xonar Essence ST, Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132014 or HT Omega Claro, link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271005
If non viable, will try to find Asus Xonar D2X or an STI. Leaning towards STI, but both are out of stock via newegg.

6) Will you be overclocking?Absolutly... It's like wondering if a baby gets hunger pangs at a titty bar...

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? HPZ24

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Already Built

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc. Wanted EVGA due to their customer support and previous experience, as well as this boards OC potential.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Currently own Windows 7 Pro (64bit, legit and reusable)

Current Setup: Lain-Li G80 (Modified), EVGA Z68 FTW, i72600k, Patriot Viper Extreme 16000 (2x4GB) (slots 1/3), EVGA 570 GTS, Corsair AX850. Monitor: HP-ZR24W S-IPS, Audio-GD Compass -> Denon ADH-7000 (no markl yet)

Last edited:
Back