Due to unseasonably cool weather...

relic

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - August 2007
I'll need to purchase a space heater for D-bunny's desk in order to keep her poor toes warm. Maybe then she'll stop turning the AC off because it's "Only 89 outside".

I thought a q6600 might work.

Now I've been out of the DC boxen-building business for a few years...so what are the best parts for a DC-only box?

I'll need to purchase a space heater for D-bunny's desk in order to keep her poor toes warm. Maybe then she'll stop turning the AC off because it's "Only 89 outside".

I thought a q6600 might work.

Now I've been out of the DC boxen-building business for a few years...so what are the best parts for a DC-only box?

Cheap box :

Q6600
Abit IP35-E
2 Gb of generic DDR2-667
500W Power Supply (Fortron make reliable cheap ones).
Used PCI or PCI-E video card.

The stock cooler on Q6600 is enough up to 3 Ghz, hence the DDR2-667 need (3 Ghz = 9x333, which match the RAM nicely).

One one of my folding only boxen, I boot 64 bit debian on a 1GB pen drive. It only cost me $10 for the pen drive as the rest of the box was spare parts, and allows me to use the SMP client.

Since a space heater does nothing but convert money into heat, you might as well throw a GPU in there, too. That'll help with the toes, certainly.

(Anyone else having thoughts of sexy feet? No idea who D-bunny is, if she's your daughter, sorry. Wives are okay :p)

.. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me to post.

Dell still has the Dual quad boxes for 1297.-1500. :D
Dell SC1430
No Os
2-5310 Quads
160gb hd
1297.00 with 1gb ram, 1500.00 with 2gb = options (cd rom, floppy, etc...)

Dell still has the Dual quad boxes for 1297.-1500. :D
Dell SC1430
No Os
2-5310 Quads
160gb hd
1297.00 with 1gb ram, 1500.00 with 2gb = options (cd rom, floppy, etc...)

That would be a great way to save space if that was a priority.

My understanding was that you needed about 300MB per core crunching WU.
Which would mean installing 4GB (since that's the next level after 2GB) in those boxes. There's a lot of power in one box (8 x 1.6GHz).

For those of us less space constrained, It looks like a pair of homebuilt q6600 systems would come in cheaper and with quite a bit more GHz. (8x2.4 GHz OC to 3.0?)

Since a space heater does nothing but convert money into heat, you might as well throw a GPU in there, too. That'll help with the toes, certainly.

(Anyone else having thoughts of sexy feet? No idea who D-bunny is, if she's your daughter, sorry. Wives are okay :p)

.. Maybe it's too early in the morning for me to post.

Warps, D-bunny is my wife, Amy, she ran UD (BSH, 3rd in [H] team overall points) effort and folded a bit (dbunny).

We spend our lives following each other through the house she turning off AC and lights, and me turning them all back on.

My understanding was that you needed about 300MB per core crunching WU.
Which would mean installing 4GB (since that's the next level after 2GB) in those boxes. There's a lot of power in one box (8 x 1.6GHz).

Both of the Smp files that I have running use no more than 320mb of ram. If you were to set it up to use 384mb per instance (2 instances total), that would leave you 256mb of ram to run- say XP Pro? Set everything to minimalistic, and your good.

Those dells are nice. Very easy to get everything going since there is no assembly required and they are bulletproof reliable although a bit bland. I'm running 11 boxes and over half of my entire 4000+ PPD comes from one dual quad core dell.

I am running a Dual Quad Dell (dual e5310 Quad Xeons) and it hasnt blinked at all other then when one of the other admins goes in there and turns off the client cause "that window got in the way" (yes I know you can hide them but with the smp client being a bit squirrly I like to be able to keep an eye on it) It has 4GB of RAM in it but it has never used over 2GB total and I use it as a production file server (non application just file server) running Server2003

and it hasnt blinked at all other then when one of the other admins goes in there and turns off the client cause "that window got in the way"

Did you remove his fingers and feed them to him like you were supposed to?

Rumor has it that in certain parts of the the world other appendages are removed and fed to them for such heinous offenses.

Back