Dude Mods Powered Vents Into His Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
I’m not sure if you guys have seen this yet or not but this is easily one of the most useful mods I’ve seen in a long time. This guy modded powered vents on the top of his case and it looks amazing. Check out the video.

i'd hope they work good enough so he wouldn't need that 40 inch lasko fan next to it...

40+ different chinese companies that make cases are ripping this guy off right now.

nerd! actually, that thing is pretty god damn sweet. I wish there were images of the inside or behind the vents, etc.

Looks like it is just open and closed depending on pc on/off. So it really doesn't provide either.

Nope.

When the Arduino detects the temperature changing, it automatically actuates the servo to raise or lower the louvers accordingly, and the rig features a pair of supercapacitors that can store enough power to close the vents even if power is lost.

Alienware has been doing this with their high-end cases for the better part of a year now. Unfortunately, they're priced as if they were made of solid gold. Glad to see someone else implementing this sort of tech.

Hey, looks like the "Active Venting" found in current Alienware systems.

Area 51 ALX (also available in some of their other models)
Active Venting — This Alienware-exclusive feature helps your system stay cooler in the heat of battle. Controlled through Alienware's Command Center, the series of motorized vents can be programmed to allow greater airflow in high-performance situations.

Wouldn't work for me, my case doubles as an Ottoman of sorts.

Yep.. that's my contribution to [H]ard modding.

sounds like a miniaturized version of what they've had for greenhouses for a long time, a piston with an expanding fluid opens and closes a vent depending upon the temperature, completely powerless.

Eliminates noise when you dont need the extra cooling and also keeps dust out. Fairly self explanatory

Now all he needs to do is figure out a way to eliminate the traffic noise outside. Where does he live, under an interstate overpass?

Eliminates noise when you dont need the extra cooling and also keeps dust out. Fairly self explanatory

Or you could just use quiet fans and some basic sound deadening techniques. No huge amount of dust is going to get in there anyway if the fans are blowing out.

Some people act like their PC runs on molten lava. No one needs powered tops vents to exhaust hot air because they are kicking so much ass playing Hello Kitty Online their PC will overheat and melt.

No one needs powered tops vents to exhaust hot air because they are kicking so much ass playing Hello Kitty Online their PC will overheat and melt.

There is a metric ass ton of stuff we don't NEED running around these forums. This is [H], it may not be the place for you to be.

It's cool but lame at the same time. I bet he doesn't even have the airflow going in way that those vents would be of much use.

However, if he put those vents on the Silverstone Raven RV02, that would be badass.

1110771.jpg

There is a metric ass ton of stuff we don't NEED running around these forums. This is [H], it may not be the place for you to be.

Possibly if he implemented the whole thing better I would be impressed. The vents don't even sit flush when he closes them in the video.

Hey, looks like the "Active Venting" found in current Alienware systems.

Area 51 ALX (also available in some of their other models)
side note: I was at my local microcenter last week, and their Alienware system could be heard over the loud dim of the store from 10 feet away! The thing was about to float off the desk. I hope they've done something at MC to make it sound that way. If that's the way Alienware's always sound, they get a big fail from me.

Some really hard to please people around here sometimes :). I wish I had half the talent to make something like that.

very slick. Makes me wanna hot glue a louver dryer vent on top of my PC now :D

Some really hard to please people around here sometimes :). I wish I had half the talent to make something like that.

Yeah its pretty funny how critical people are. Most probably have never even attempted to build anything.

Or you could just use quiet fans and some basic sound deadening techniques. No huge amount of dust is going to get in there anyway if the fans are blowing out.

Some people act like their PC runs on molten lava. No one needs powered tops vents to exhaust hot air because they are kicking so much ass playing Hello Kitty Online their PC will overheat and melt.
or maybe he just likes to mod stuff?

And charging hundreds of dollars for "Turbo boost cooling". Now said to be 10X better then water cooling. :rolleyes:

Huh? Wouldn't it be cheaper, since its Chinese made. You might need to fine tune your angry rhetoric a little.

That was pretty cool. Like watching a porsche passes me on the autobahn and the spoiler lifts. Cool sight to see

Alienware has been doing this with their high-end cases for the better part of a year now. Unfortunately, they're priced as if they were made of solid gold. Glad to see someone else implementing this sort of tech.

Problem is....alienware suck penus.

But can it play Hello Kitty Online?

very slick. Makes me wanna hot glue a louver dryer vent on top of my PC now :D
Actually doesn't sound all that tacky :)eek: pun) if done properly. mount the appropriate size exhaust fan under it & when the fan's not running they autoclose via gravity to keep dust, etc. out.

Wouldn't work for me, my case doubles as an Ottoman of sorts.

Yep.. that's my contribution to [H]ard modding.

Yeah. I need space to put my beer(s) :p

Nice mod but I'd rather keep a fan in that location

Who else has powered vents in their case? oh yeah, Alienware saw it at bestbuy. Still it is a cool and not easy to do mod. I am saying its really cool a bit unusual but the guy was inspired by Alienware.

Lol @ the people who think it takes away from the mod because powered vents exist somewhere else in the world.What the fuck?

Back