Ducky Shine 4 now in stock!

Wish Ducky would hurry up and come out with an RGB backlit keyboard.... I've been holding out, but I might have to break down and go with Corsair.... :-(

Wish Ducky would hurry up and come out with an RGB backlit keyboard.... I've been holding out, but I might have to break down and go with Corsair.... :-(

Think of the tramp stamp, Think of the tramp stamp!!!

I've owned plenty of Filco's and several Ducky's, and Ducky's build quality is just as good if not better than Filco.

Agreed, I actually prefer Ducky's (Own a Ducky shine 3, two WASD keyboards, two filcos, and a das)

I think my Ducky and my Filcos are about even in build quality, though most of my typing on a ducky though at work.

What's the biggest advantage(s) to a high-end keyboard like a ducky?

Just finger strain? Time to failure?

Just curious.

different switch types, steel/alum back plate, soldering/pcb quality, fixed vs removable cable, christmas tree lights, key shape, key material, stabilizer type, key noise, usb ports, media keys, warranty...

i confess. never used a ducky but i don't want lights on a keyboard. i own a few filco's (2 reds, 1 brown) with characters printed on the side of each cap (ninja). they are heavy and noisy but feel much better than squishy membrane keys. i put o-rings on all keys with stabilizers. helped make the fat keys feel the same as the little ones.

for some reason people tend to collect mechanical keyboards and have strong opinions about them, similar to flashlights, headphones, and firearms.

these things are subjective like mice. if you never tried one, i recommend red for gaming or brown for pure typing.

My ducky shine 2 build like a tank. I dropped it on my ikea coffee table and made a hole on the table :eek:
What's new about the shine 4 compare to 2?

What's the biggest advantage(s) to a high-end keyboard like a ducky?

Just finger strain? Time to failure?

Just curious.

Feels nicer, better build quality, more reliable, and I can actually type faster on mechanical than membrane pad. I also can get switches with the exact amount of actuation force, noise, travel, and linearity of the pressing motion that I want.

Also, I spent $1,500 or so building a beast of a machine. I can afford to spend 150$ on an input device that I will be using nearly all the time. These POS membrane pad keyboards are like putting used spare tires on a ferrari. It works, technically, but god why?

The detachable USB cord and ridiculous space bar are killing this for me :( What the hell is the space bar logo even of? A horse with "014" in the graphic?!?

The detachable USB cord and ridiculous space bar are killing this for me :( What the hell is the space bar logo even of? A horse with "014" in the graphic?!?

detachable usb is a plus for a lot of people. My razer blackwidow that does not have a detachable usb cable is having issues now where the cable position can cause it to disconnect. I have this keyboard since i think October of last year and has been great so far. It doesn't have the flashiness of rgb but it has allowed me to customize color schemes the way I want with certain keys being a certain color. I found effects to be mostly distracting so I only have a few keys running effects. You can always replace the spacebar if you dislike it and I'm planning to replace them all with backlit pbt keycaps anyway.

good review of the keyboard showing its features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI2Fpz4EO3I

Last edited:
Why is there no white led? I prefer white light.

I've got a Ducky Shine 3 (Year of the Snake edition apparently, but I like the snake).

The detachable USB cable is a non-issue. Once you plug it in, and secure the wire in the slot on the back of the board, it's not going anywhere unless you want it to.

detachable usb is a plus for a lot of people. My razer blackwidow that does not have a detachable usb cable is having issues now where the cable position can cause it to disconnect. I have this keyboard since i think October of last year and has been great so far. It doesn't have the flashiness of rgb but it has allowed me to customize color schemes the way I want with certain keys being a certain color. I found effects to be mostly distracting so I only have a few keys running effects. You can always replace the spacebar if you dislike it and I'm planning to replace them all with backlit pbt keycaps anyway.

good review of the keyboard showing its features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI2Fpz4EO3I

Just watched the video, thanks for the link.

Interesting keyboard. Maybe on the shine 5 we'll get a third led for rgb functionality? I'll definitely bite then. Though my color schemes have always been red or blue so this would work just fine lol.

Just watched the video, thanks for the link.

Interesting keyboard. Maybe on the shine 5 we'll get a third led for rgb functionality? I'll definitely bite then. Though my color schemes have always been red or blue so this would work just fine lol.

LOL! Gotta have all the gizmos even if you don't use them, right? You have to have the OPTION of using them.

I think the same way.

LOL! Gotta have all the gizmos even if you don't use them, right? You have to have the OPTION of using them.

I think the same way.

Yea pretty much. Plus I like white led's a lot too so that option would be nice. I also would never use any of the effects, except to just play with em for a little bit when I first got it, or to show it off on my desk at work lol.

How this compares to the Logitech G910 Orion Spark?
By the way, how come NCIX does not yet carry the G910?

Meh, let me know when duck starts using doubleshot keycaps like the maxkeyboard blackbird.

CM Novatouch is a more interesting option..

Saw some user reviews of the blackbird where there were some problem with keys getting stuck or something? Remember there was something a bit disconcerting to have dissuade me from picking one up when it was on sale back in Nov of last year....

Why is there no white led? I prefer white light.

Why not grab one of the older Ducky KBs - they have white LED and have to be a bit cheaper at this point. I don't see anything on the Ducky 4 that would make me upgrade from a 2 or a 3, really.

Beyond that, there are other keyboards with white LEDs. Ducky is great; I own a couple but they aren't the only quality mechanical keyboard around by any means.

How this compares to the Logitech G910 Orion Spark?
By the way, how come NCIX does not yet carry the G910?

I would REALLY encourage you to read some reviews on the G910 before pulling the trigger.

According to PC World it has fantastic backlighting but they did not like the shape of the keys OR the proprietary key switches which appear to be trash compared to Cherry MX switches.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2860...d-review-beautiful-lighting-bad-switches.html

As such, the G910 is a uniquely weird device to type on. Uncomfortable, even. No matter how much I tried—and believe me, I tried—I couldn't get used to the feel of the keys. It's not too bad for things like shooters, where your fingers tend to stick on the WASD keys the whole time. For typing or for games with lots of hotkeys, though, I found my fingers commonly "caught" the edges of keys on their way by, or landed awkwardly on the key at an angle that caused significantly more distress than normal keys.

And it's not helped by the Romer-G switches. Romer-Gs are Logitech's proprietary switches, designed (like Razer's Green and Orange switches) with games in mind. Unlike most of the new crop of mechanical switches though, I can't even think of a good Cherry comparison. If there were a gun to my head I guess I'd say MX Browns, but really the Romer-Gs are a class of their own.

That's not to say they're good. I like that the Romer-Gs are quieter than your average mechanical keyboard, but they lack the satisfying oomph of a typical mechanical switch, feeling kind of mushy and dull instead. There is a distinct actuation point, but it's really close to the key's resting point. Combine the mushy feel and the high actuation point, and the G910 might as well be a rubber dome keyboard.

Saw some user reviews of the blackbird where there were some problem with keys getting stuck or something? Remember there was something a bit disconcerting to have dissuade me from picking one up when it was on sale back in Nov of last year....

Only problems I have had was an incompatibility with my Asus Hero MB. Solved by plugging it in through a USB hub in my monitor stand.

Keyboard itself is awesome, doubleshot keycaps are a must for me, they just feel better (maybe cause theya re thicker?) and light up better than laser etched keycaps. The only thing that isn't perfect is having the "lock lights" above the Ins home PgUp, which makes them hard to see. I prefer the lights to be on the key itself, or at least in a more obvious position. I thought I wanted white LED's but I'm actually really loving the red ones, they are a bit mellower. I added wsad and arrow and escape keys in white LED's for a bit of contrast. Can't blame people for wanting white though, thats the other downside with the blackbird, configuration options are limited.

I would not replace it with a ducky however.

Another option would be a deck keyboard. Even better, only I don't care for the font. but it also is LED backlight and uses doubleshot keycaps. Only those keycaps are doubleshot PBT, which is a more durable plastic, but the the way they are injected the light does not shine through as well.

Deck doubleshot PBT:
http://i.imgur.com/2yMeYmlh.jpg

Blackbird ABS:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KxnbHWdlP3M/maxresdefault.jpg

I think honestly though the ducky keycaps almost looks doubleshot too according to this picture, but they are considered to be laser etched? I don't own a ducky myself, so I can't make a direct comparison
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1203275/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Anyways, I found Torpe keyboards the best. No fancy LED backlighting, but they are are nice to type on! Specifically a silence modded Leopold FC660C. I was considering picking up a CM Novatouch to replace my blackbird with browns but I don't really need a second topre board. I would get the CM Novatouch then replace the keycaps with something nicer, maybe see if it could be silenced like my FC660C which is just a dream to type on.

I'm not sure where else to get them but ebay these days.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopold-FC6...342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f39ee0716

By dream keyboard would be a realforce tropre 55g weighted silenced in one of these cases http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Alumin...202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259c36fc62 but they don't make a silenced 55g weighted realforce so you would have to buy 2 realforce keyboards and used the silenced stems from one, then install that into a $250 case lol.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back