Dual Xeon Scalable - 8pin CPU + 8pin CPU + additional 4pin CPU - power supply?

petreza

n00b
Check out Supermicro X11DPG-QT. In addition to the standard 24pin power socket it has 8pin CPU + 8pin CPU + additional 4pin CPU. The manual says all of these have to be connected.
I see that some higher wattage power supplies, like Rosewill and EVGA, come with two 8pin CPU connectors and usually with two 4+4pin cables.

Can I buy an additional 4+4pin cable and plug it into one of the PCIe slots (for the 6+2pin cables) in the power supply to get the additional 4pins necessary?

Can you recommend such a cable in the 600mm +/- length range? I tried searching but what I get is either extension cables (one side is female) or 4pin to molex adapters.

Thank you!

my board has 24, 8, 8, and 4 but the 4 is near the PCIe slots and is used as supplemental power for the PCIe slots and is not required.
does the manual say what the 4 pin is for?

This sounds confusing since it sounds like you use the 8 pins when you don't use the 24pin.
sm-power.jpg

then on page 49 it says all 4 connectors need to be plugged in.
Maybe get a Molex to 4pin for that one connector.

I think I found the cable I am looking for:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812304034

Male on both ends.
But in the description it says:
"Corsair PSU Compatibility: RMi series, RMx series, SF Series, Corsair Type 4 PSU"
Shouldn't it be compatible with any and all modular power supplies?

On closer inspection, I don't think it can fit into the PCIe sockets of the power supplies I linked to.
If you zoom in you can see that the cable has two rows of pins with this configuration:

rounded-square-square-rounded
square-rounded-rounded-square

On the other hand if you zoom in at the pictures of the power supplies, the PCIe sockets have a different configuration or rounded vs. square.

I think I found the cable I am looking for:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812304034

Male on both ends.
But in the description it says:
"Corsair PSU Compatibility: RMi series, RMx series, SF Series, Corsair Type 4 PSU"
Shouldn't it be compatible with any and all modular power supplies?

Those look like cables that go straight from the PSU to the mobo, and they may be wired up only for connection to the PSU's listed.

Thank you for your contribution Zepher!

I searched through my power cables and found a 8pin to 4+4pin cable from a Seasonic power supply I have. The 8pin end matches the PSU sockets for PCIe:

rounded-rounded-square-square
square-rounded-rounded-rounded

The two flat 4-wire cables, that come out of the 8pin end, get split into 4 pairs and get criss-crossed. So there is a wire rearrangement in order to set up the voltages as necessary for CPU consumption (see here - scroll down)

one of the 4pin ends matches what the motherboard needs:

rounded-square
square-rounded

the other 4pin (which I don't need) is all rounded - but that could still be OK - rounded pins should fit into square sockets.

I am going to use this cable but before I trust it I will check it with a multimeter. The top row (next to the plastic clipping thing) should be +12 and the other row should be ground.

Back