Dual Wield Double Barrel 1911 Pistols

Jerry Mitchell? Nice. Not a particularly practical weapon, but boy, watching the slide move back and two casing eject at the same time was daaaaang cool.

Jerry Mitchell? Nice. Not a particularly practical weapon, but boy, watching the slide move back and two casing eject at the same time was daaaaang cool.
What would make it more practical would be if it were dual 9mm so it wasn't so wide and you could fit higher ammo capacity, and still utilize an automatic double-tap firing mechanism so that when pulling the trigger it fires two 9mm per barrel before recoil can kick in and send the second one way too high.

In that way you could have four +P+ 9mm hollowpoints in a close grouping with one pull of the trigger, and with a 20 round double-stack magazine, you could fire five times.

thats nuts. and extremely cool. should be featured in a rap song and video any minute now.

It's deeply stupid beyond just a technical exercise.

The hammers are linked because if the hammers were out of time only one side would fire and it probably wouldn't cycle.

Yet, there are two triggers, almost certainly because if you fired 2 rounds with one trigger, ATF would consider it a machine gun. Two triggers, one mono-hammer - it probably has an interlock on the triggers so they both have to be depressed before it will fire.

That was sweet.

Kinda looked like one of the slugs in each gun was affecting the second slug in each gun.. in that they were traveling at slightly different speeds.

That was sweet.

Kinda looked like one of the slugs in each gun was affecting the second slug in each gun.. in that they were traveling at slightly different speeds.

Could be. Loads can be off by a few fps.

Could be. Loads can be off by a few fps.

It was the same barrel in each gun every time though. Could be partially due to machining I guess.

I was thinking it had to do more with the air resistance of the slugs interacting with each other though.

I'm thinking if the hammer contacts the firing caps of each round even a little off-time, it'll take a lot of energy from the second round fired (since the slide is already traveling back). If the slide for each side wasn't mechanically connected, I think the bullet would retain a lot more of it's potential exit velocity.

...but don't ask me--I'm not an engineer. :eek:

I'm thinking if the hammer contacts the firing caps of each round even a little off-time, it'll take a lot of energy from the second round fired (since the slide is already traveling back). If the slide for each side wasn't mechanically connected, I think the bullet would retain a lot more of it's potential exit velocity.

If I were designing it, I'd make it a single hammer with two contact points. Two separate firing pins would add needless mechanical complexity.

The hammers are linked because if the hammers were out of time only one side would fire and it probably wouldn't cycle.

Yet, there are two triggers, almost certainly because if you fired 2 rounds with one trigger, ATF would consider it a machine gun. Two triggers, one mono-hammer - it probably has an interlock on the triggers so they both have to be depressed before it will fire.

One trigger operates both hammers, he states it in the video.

My American side is wanting to buy this, cary it around on my hip and go fight crime in the big city.

It's a ghetto, stupid cheap ass way to throw lots of bullets at something inaccurately.

FFS, the guy was standing no more than 20 paces from the target and landed them all in a 24 x 18" placard. Handguns aren't accurate by definition but please.

Someone competent with a 911 colt would probably land more killing shots in the same time with less bullets. That's less bullets leaving one trailer and entering another, potentially ending the life of the neighbors 19yr old unemployed son....

I wholeheartedly endorse this product. Provided it is used as intended in the right drug deal.

Some nice slow-mo/high speed video there.

Just wondering if any cop has asked to have one registered as his registered duty sidearm?:rolleyes:

FOUR guns.
For the hardcore thug that just can't cut the cheese with THREE guns.

Do you know what I want? FIVE.

Actually, while we're at five...
:D

spread.jpg

Blah I saw pictures of these 2-3 years ago. It's a stupid fad just like the double AR. A few rich aholes will buy it and then 6 months later it's gone and forgotten.

Incorrect. The trigger is just a single mechanism that can be operated from either side of the gun. Mechanically speaking it's one trigger, one hammer, two firing pins. This gun is not an NFA weapon. According to multiple letters to the ATF over the years, a weapon that fires more than one projectile with a single action of the firing mechanism is classified as a volley-fire weapon, and is not governed under the National Firearms Act. You could have a double-barreled AR, double-barreled AK, double-barreled 12-gauge where both barrels fired with a single trigger pull and it's legal at the Federal level. Hell, you could make a quad-barreled .50 BMG rifle that fired all four barrels with a single trigger pull. As long as no state or local laws prohibited ownership you could walk into a gun store and buy it like any other weapon.

Interesting you mentioned ATF calling this a machinegun cause I think that is exactly what they will call it even though it doesn't fit the description in a practical way, it does in a technical way.

The ATF's definition.
Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger

These handguns definitely, by design, shoot automatically more then one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger.

I just don't think they have cought up with this yet, and that old man is pretty famous and well liked. They probably will just say this doesn't fit the "intent" of the Law/definition.

Almost all modern handguns, and certainly all above .380, are not blow-back operated like many older ones are. Early in the history of automatic handgun development that found that 9mm and larger calibers were too much to hang onto with true blow-back operation. That's when they came up with delayed blow-back operation. that's what they are talking about when they say things about how a pistol will "lock up", etc. Essential the bolt/slide locks into the chamber so that until the round leaves the barrel the bolt doesn't unlock or is at least delayed.

If this duel .45 were truly blow-back operated the force of two .45s, well it would rip itself out of the man's grasp, no way he could hold onto it.

Oh, and my comment on this qualifying under the definition of a machine gun, as someone else mentioned and I had not realized yet, it does have two triggers and that may effect or allow an excuse for the ATF to not call this a machine gun.

If I were designing it, I'd make it a single hammer with two contact points. Two separate firing pins would add needless mechanical complexity.

The hammers do not have firing pins and they don't impact the primers directly. the hammers hit the firing pins the pins hit the primers.

Still, one hammer could hit a single transfer bar that drives both pins, or you could even machine a custom pin that is wide, oval in cross section instead of round with two "nipples" for striking the primers. But as mentioned earlier, by keeping the mechanisms somewhat separated you make it technically not quite a machine gun.

I figure this is more oddity then useful tool. Now do me a double barrel as a snake gun loaded with snake-shot and we are talking useful. Go .380 to get enough shot, it has more then enough power yet it isn't overwhelming. In fact, take this concept and apply it to a revolver and load it in solid shot and shot-shell pairs ;)

does make for a unique assassin's weapon, though .44 mag probably has more stopping power....

intruders-bbc-america-tv-review.jpg

Back