Dual Video cards, dual monitors, and Vista game performance

maverikv

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just ordered an 8800gts to replace my 7800gts in Vista x64. I was wondering if keeping it and running my secondary monitor off of it would alleviate the stress aero puts on the video card when running dual monitors and gaming and increase my performance. Would I be better off keeping the 7800gts for the second monitor? Is this even possible?

It is certainly possible, you can use both cards at the same time, assuming your mob supports it.

I doubt if you'll see a huge increase in gaming performance, as aero essentially shuts itself off when needed (gaming), but it won't hurt anything either.

I'm not really sure I understand what your saying... but if your asking if aero shuts off on the secondary display when gaming.... it doesn't really matter, unless your gaming in windowed mode on your primary display your secondary display will be basically unresponsive while gaming.

And my advice would be to "disable" your second display while gaming. I have found it's just distracting, I personally prefer to have my second display dark while I'm gaming.

Well I mainly use it for WoW-
I have websites and AIM open on monitor 2 and I play WoW on monitor 1 maximized/windowed. When i drag the mouse to the right extreme of monitor 1, it goes to monitor 2 and I can browse/chat while still being able to see WoW

Right now I got Aero plugging along on monitor 2 using resources from the video card, which I;m assuming is hitting WoW's performance down a couple notches. If I run monitor 2 exclusively off of my old video card, and game on monitor 1 with the new card, I'm assuming this would alleviate some of the strain on the primary video card

Yes, you are correct, it will. I just don't know how much of a difference it will make, but as I said, it certainly won't hurt.

Back