Dual video card for gaming and 3D CAD?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I was wondering if it's possible to use a 3D CAD optimized video card like the Nvidia Quadro in the same machine as a 970 (which I already own), using SLI. I don't need both video cards to work at the same time, that would be cool but I don't really care. Mostly I'm just interested in being able to switch between the cards, on the fly, depending on the app.

Possible, given the right motherboard, but not necessarily practical, especially if you have a 970 SLI setup already hogging space in your rig. I would imagine getting all your drivers installed and configured properly would also be somewhat of a chore as well.

Now if you are asking if you can SLI a single 970 with a Quadro, well then the answer is a resounding hell no! :D

Yeah, I don't even want to start thinking about the driver issues. Just looking for a way to maybe avoid building another rig just for this purpose... Especially since the video card is really the only thing that makes it not ideal for CAD work. Just FYI, not using an SLI setup right now... Just a single video card right now.

Well, just so you know, SLI only works with two of the same cards. You can't mix and match with SLI. And, the cards have to also support SLI. You can have two distinctly different video cards in a PC though as long as you have the PCI-E slots available for them. Using both with one monitor is problematic though - either manually moving a cable back and forth between the cards - or if the monitor has multiple inputs, two cables and switching the monitor inputs by hand. You'd really want a separate monitor for each card, or an A/B switch. What you want to do is possible, but just not practical. I'd build a separate rig.

Back