Dual system cases: what are my options?

jimthebob

Gawd
Been thinking lately that I want to look into getting one case that I can fit both my Plex/NAS server in as well as my pfSense build. I know of a couple cases that could do this (Phanteks 719 & the Corsair Slate) but I want to know if there are any others out there so why not reach out to [H] and see if anyone has any suggestions. I'll list my requirements here:

-Hold one ATX and one MITX motherboard
-The MITX location must be able to accommodate at least one expansion card so I can slot in my dual GBE Intel NIC
-Hold 6 3.5" hard drives at a minimum, more is a plus
-2 SSD mounts, more is a plus
-Prefer the ability to hold two PSU's (even if one is SFX) so I don't have to buy a single PSU to run it all
-Dust filters are a big plus but I guess not an absolute requirement

So that's it, I feel like those are pretty modest requirements :D So what's out there that fits the bill, gents?

Lian Li has some case options like that...or at least they did at one time

Corsair 1000D

Last edited:
Lian Li PC-D666 - good luck finding one though. I have never seen one in stock anywhere.

I ended up making my own out of a Lian Li PC-D600 with some heavy modding (als very hard to come by)

Thermltake makes the Core W200. It was too big for my liking.
Gougar Gemini X

If you do mini ITX on your second mobo you can take a look at:
Phanteks EVOLV X - have to go with a single PSU though like the Revolt X.
Phanteks Enthoo 719 - have to go with a single PSU though like the Revolt X.

Lian Li has some case options like that...or at least they did at one time

Corsair 1000D
Lian Li PC-D666 - good luck finding one though. I have never seen one in stock anywhere.

I ended up making my own out of a Lian Li PC-D600 with some heavy modding (als very hard to come by)

Thermltake makes the Core W200. It was too big for my liking.
Gougar Gemini X

If you do mini ITX on your second mobo you can take a look at:
Phanteks EVOLV X - have to go with a single PSU though like the Revolt X.
Phanteks Enthoo 719 - have to go with a single PSU though like the Revolt X.

Good options guys but damn, not sure about the prices of some of those! :confused:

I am with you. I never found a dual case that had both form and function to my liking.

That's why I made my own :)

It's not complete, but getting closer and closer. Here's a little sneak peak.

IMG_5131.JPEG IMG_5207.JPEG IMG_5439.JPEG

Just get a double sided case and add the mITX standoffs on the non mobo side...
Would be easy as pie to do in mine.

I think the HAF935 fits your requirements. TWO Full size PSUs, one ITX, one E-ATX board.

haf__001.jpg haf__002.jpg haf__003.jpg haf__004.jpg haf__005.jpg haf__006.jpg

Last edited:

Ehhh that's not the most...attractive option to me. Even though I had one, I'm not much of a fan of the HAF aesthetic. Plus the bottom larger chassis would hold the 6 hard drives I have now but doesn't look like you could fit much more in unless you go with some 5.25 adapters.

Ehhh that's not the most...attractive option to me. Even though I had one, I'm not much of a fan of the HAF aesthetic. Plus the bottom larger chassis would hold the 6 hard drives I have now but doesn't look like you could fit much more in unless you go with some 5.25 adapters.
The top one holds 3 more. Plus I think the lian-li 2x5.25->3x3.5 or 3x5.25->4x3.5 adapters are a good option. If you remove the face plate they fit virtually any case with 5.25 spaces. I don't think there are many consumer cases if any that hold more than 9 3.5 drives from factory.

Wait for pricing on the Intel pcie nuc.
Any dual system case is spendy, then you need to contend with dual psu or a $$$ revolt phanteks psu.

Back